Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How do you guys find energy to go to meetings after a long days work?

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

I'm super excited to get back into my meeting and meet my new sponsor and hear exactly what I need to hear each day BUT im a naturally lazy person (excuse?) and I work full time and just want to gorge myself with food and watch tv in my bed when I get off work.

How do you guys do it?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was able to make plenty of time to drink, and that took a whole lot more energy to do than it does for me to go to a meeting. I find that the meetings actually refresh and reenergize me. It can sometimes the only peaceful hour of the day.

God bless.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Then try a morning meeting if it's available; that's what I did (when I went).

If previously however you often spent evenings drinking alcohol, then you're probably going to have cravings, urges or questions on how to best occupy your mind instead of drinking. In that case, I'd say a meeting where you get to talk to other like-minded people with the same objective of staying off the booze is a really good idea.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't do AA but I absolutely have to keep my 'sobriety engine' in top condition.

Recovery's very important to me and I'd like to think my actions reflect that importance

The days when I don't want to do what I know I need to do are the days I especially have to do it - y'know ?

D
Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
I'm super excited to get back into my meeting and meet my new sponsor and hear exactly what I need to hear each day BUT im a naturally lazy person (excuse?) and I work full time and just want to gorge myself with food and watch tv in my bed when I get off work.

How do you guys do it?
It's a matter of priorities. If doing what we wanted would get us sober, that's what we'd do. Sadly, doing just what we wanted is what GOT us into this pickle to begin with.

One thing's for sure though, if you're an alcoholic, it's pretty much a decision of change or die....and that's some serious motivation generating reality. Whether you choose to believe that and/or follow it is up to you.

It helped me when it sunk in that what I wanted.....didn't really get me happy, not for long anyway. The happiness I got would always disappear before long. What I'd always done was try to get "more" of what I wanted......thinking that would work. It didn't. It was suggested that maybe what worked for everyone else would work for me - namely, if I'd be willing to do what they did, I'd probably get the happiness they had. I sure wasn't accustomed to doing things I didn't WANT to do or feel like doing.....but I was backed into a corner so I gave it a shot. Whaddya know......they were right. Doing what I NEEDED to do rather than what I WANTED to do finally started to pay off in the happiness I'd always been looking for.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think Jocata hit it on the head.

There are times I go to a meeting not feeling too good but I never leave that way..
Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In the old days when you were laying in bed with your pajama's on watching TV, if you suddently realized you didn't have any alcohol, would you have gotten up, got dressed and drove to the store?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Try finding a meeting that is right after work that you can go to on the way home. I know what its like to get home from work and not want to do anything, at least not anything productive. I usually never let that stop me from going to bar 3 or 4 times during the week.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I felt the same way in the first couple months. It made me wonder how I ever had time to party as much as i did. Cleaning up the aftermath is so time consuming sometimes.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AA person, but I definitely keep my recovery a priority every day. I have found balance is most important, so I try to do some physical, mental and spiritual work every day.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Thanks guys. I'm going to find some meetings that are on my way home from work. I'll be back to check in