Notices

Smoking cigarettes instead of weed

Old 01-06-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smoking cigarettes instead of weed

I'm closing in on one year clean and sober, and have felt forced to smoke cigarettes instead of weed the last several weeks. I've only been smoking a few every weekend, but that is far more than I would like to.

I was a heavy cigarette smoker for 5 years while in college, then quit for 18 months, only to now start picking it up again. My neighbors are potheads, so getting bud from them would be very easy.

I fear that it's only a matter of time before my cigarette habit progresses, and at that point, it's going to be difficult to convince myself that cigarette smoking is healthier than smoking weed.

Anyone else run into this problem? Any advice?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Smoking cigs to keep off weed would be like drinking NA beer to keep off beer for me - probably worse.

It's perfectly possible to live without doing anything thats hazardous to our health - you've stopped weed - why not lose the safety net now?

There's any number of quit programmes around - why not avail yourself of those?

D
Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand. I think when you have an addictive personality you just want a pass to be addicted to something! Sometimes I get the urge to smoke too. I stop myself though. I've quit once. If I pick up then I'll just have to quit it all over again at some point!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How is one clean and sober for a year but just stopped smoking weed for a few weeks?

I wouldn't sweat the cigarettes to much. I would run from the weed. I'm pretty sure my lungs are permanently damaged from smoking it daily for years.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
How is one clean and sober for a year but just stopped smoking weed for a few weeks?

I wouldn't sweat the cigarettes to much. I would run from the weed. I'm pretty sure my lungs are permanently damaged from smoking it daily for years.
I think you have misunderstood me. The last few weeks my cravings have been going through the roof, so instead of smoking weed, I have been smoking cigarettes.

Thanks for the advice Dee/Lisa. I guess the urge and following through on smoking cigarettes is a sign that there are a few holes in my program...
Old 01-06-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Advice

My advice is to quit smoking both of them. You can do it.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
totfit

Smoking cigarettes instead of weed is not a "better" alternative at all. It is still addictive behaviour and worse even for your health. Likely what will happen instead of it helping you stay away from weed is that you will wind up addicted to cigarettes again and smoking weed too. Don't let your addictive thinking play tricks on you.