Trying to be supportive

Old 01-06-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to be supportive

I am a soldier in the US Army. My wife admitted to me that she has a problem with alcohol. I am happy to say that she has been sober for about a month now! I just keep wondering if I am dong enough for her right now!! I have promised her that I will start trying to create a post here every so often. I have also tried to start coming to this web site to be supportive for her!! I am trying my best to do what I can but I feel sometimes I feel that it is not enough. I am worried about what tomorrow will bring. I know that she will be alright but it just doesn’t help me feel better about the situation.

thebellsoldier
Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi thebellsoldier

Glad you made it to posting

I dunno about you but I always had the idea I was a man and my job was to 'fix things'.
The older I get the more I realise that's just not possible for me to do that sometimes....

I was an active alcoholic - noone but me could 'fix things' with me.

All I wanted from those I loved was support, and perhaps a little understanding (or a kick up the patoot if applicable) when I got a bit uptight or overwrought with the whole recovery deal.

I'm sure you're doing great thebellsoldier

Welcome to SR!

D
Old 01-06-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to S.R. & thank u for all you do for our country. now your wife...
i am sure u are a good husband. Now she should b a good wife & support u & your job.
u can not fix her. my addict is my son & even love will not fix it. read all around, read the stickys & remember this is not your fault. this is her choice. find a face to face meeting & go.maybe she will decide to get recovery for herself & go to a meeting. she has got to want to. you can not do it. prayers for u both,
Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support!

I like to thank everyone for the support that I have recieved so far! I am tryng my best doing what I can to help my wife. All I can try to do is be supportive to my wife and hope that the support that I give is enough. I wished that I could help out more though but I am away at a military school. It is kind of hard!! It never gets any easier being away from my wife. I can't wait till the day that I don't have to do this anymore. Well all I can do is just keep swimmimg and keeping my head above water!!

Thanks,
thebellsoldier