Notices

Trying to start up

Old 01-05-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to start up

Hi
I am trying to start up with not drinking.

I have gone through periods where i drank from 1/2 to 1 bottle of wine a night.

I have decided that my family is more important than alcohol.
My husband expressed concern about my drinking.

I am in a diffficult relationship which feels like it is falling apart.

My husband was clinically depressed and unemployed for 2 years and I was sole breadwinner and caregiver for our son. He is working now and on meds but I am still in an unhappy marriage and due to his work schedule (or perhaps attitude) I am a married single parent most days.

I have been drinking wine at night after work and taking care of our boy.
I am ditching the alcohol as I feel it is helping nothing.

I am hoping for support and a place to report success/failure until I can get it right.

I am planning to go to an AA meeting soon, perhaps during lunch break

It is not an option before or afterwork because I am taking care of my son--my husband does not come home before 9 most nights.

I wonder how many women there are like me, working full time all day and then again at night.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Cat...Welcome to SR...I did some drinking in Boston myself...Moved it to Florida and gave it up. I'm sure there are women like you working full time and caretaking at night...And doing it without drinking. You seem to realise it is affecting your life. Might be a good time to give it up...Check out a meeting...Seek support here...You can do this. It will be good for everybody, but most importantly...You.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Cat

I think there's probably a lot of women who work as hard as you obviously so - you may even hear from a few of them here

I think you've made a great decision to ditch the alcohol - and I know you'll find a lot of support here

SR helped me to turn my life around and stop drinking - I know you'll find help and encouragement here too

Welcome aboard!

D
Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to SR, cat!

Single mom here...... My issues with alcohol started at about the same point you are right now (raising children, not-so-good marriage). What started off as a couple drinks to "unwind" became the main thing I looked forward to every day. Then the depression and miserable, anxious mornings set in.

I know the feeling of "having to do it all" without much support. Alcohol is a quick fix, but in the end, it becomes a huge problem and keeps us from discovering healthy solutions.

I feel so much stronger and positive about myself now that I'm sober. I'm glad you're making that choice for yourself, too. Keep reading and posting - there's a lot of us Moms here!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

to SR cat.
I am not in your shoes but where you are at describes where my mother was when I was growing up and believe me your children will feel the effects of it. It is probably one of the reasons that I developed a drinking problem of my own. My mother never did quit and ended up dying young.
For your sake and the sake of your family try your best to make this work.
Good luck in your quest.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Cat

I too was a wine drinker and am 6 days off it now. You can do it! Stick around here with all the lovely people and read the stories. It has really helped me.

Well done on taking the first step. You and your family deserve the best in life

Sunny xx
Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

If there were a definition of "functioning alcoholic" it would say: "woman who raises children, takes care of home, takes care of husband, holds a job, volunteers time, cooks, and finds time to drink."

You aren't alone. Why not hook the 9 yr old up with ear phones & an electronic toy and get to a meeting after work? It can save your life!

You can stay stopped!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Meow

Hi cat! Another working mom with a husband who doesn't take on a whole lot of responsibility at home (he's a drinker too). You are not alone. My son's 16 now, and I regret that he has grown up with a mom who drinks.

Please come and join us in the January Class thread.