Notices

Back...in need of info PLEASE

Old 01-05-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back...in need of info PLEASE

I posted a few days ago. I relapsed a couple of days ago, after not touching a drink for 4 years. The problem I was having is that I was self medicating with marijuana, in turn, masking my severe depression and anxiety. I figured it was fine, as I could not afford psychiatric care, as I have no insurance.

My question is... does anyone have info on how I can go about getting psychiatric care at a reasonable rate...such as sliding scale, charity care, etc. I am in dire need to get my head straight or my sobriety won't last 4 days, let alone 4 years. Thank you in advance for your responses.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Are you in the US? If so, check and see if your city or county has an MH/MR office. Often times they can be helpful in either directly providing services or making referrals.

If meds are in order to treat your condition, the doctor can provide samples, or most pharma companies offer some sort of program for those with less financial means.

And, I'm sure you know this, but if you don't it bears repeating. If you can afford pot, you can probably afford some mental health care.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can't argue with that logic....
Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in the US Slackie, but I wish you the best in finding that assistance

D
Old 01-05-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Slackie - believe it or not I would try a University/College in your area.
I don't live in the US (I live in Canada) - we are covered for psychiatrists and such but there is quite the waiting list (one where I had to wait 6 months!) so I checked out a University in the area and they have 3rd/4th year students that are in school for psychiatry and such for a sliding scale fee.
I went once a week (1 hour sessions) for $10.
It was incredibly helpful and they are not amateurs and after the sessions they consult professionals as well for additional advice/information.
It might be worth a shot in checking out.

Take care.