Notices

Interesting Reads

Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting Reads

Hello All
As usual I've been doing a lot of reading, especially after a medium strength paws bout the other day. The articles and several others found on google explain why sweets aren't a good idea when trying to recover.

Has anyone here done any reading on hypoglycemia symptoms?
One of the articles (medical pamphlet) notes that AA is starting to recognize hypoglycemia as being a key to many Alcoholic problems

Jim
Old 01-04-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have done reading on this topic because I was clueless that hypoglycemia made me more susceptible to alcoholism. I have had hypoglycemia for years and manage well with eating small meals and making sure I never go too long without food. So, when I started to drink, my body absolutely loved the sugar from alcohol, which made my transition to alcoholic very quick. When I learned about this later, I sure did regret not knowing about the connection.

I did eat carbs when in recovery and still do, but I'm careful to try to balance things.

I don't have any book titles, but I know there is lots of info on the web.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JEANS

Hi and welcome. I'm relatively new to this forum myself and don't know much about PAWS or hypoglycemia but I have been having some interesting cravings since giving up the booze.

I normally don't like sweets, ice cream or chocolate but since i've been sober I can't stop eating them and have been getting shakes if I don't eat for about 3 hours. I assumed it was my body craving all the sugar that was in the alcohol and I've been pigging out on sweets to sooth the cravings.

Are you sober now and having similar problems?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. I've been off of the alcohol since early August.
I started reading on it after a PAWS incident. I get light headed, anxiety and confusion as symptoms when it happens. It's definitely no where near as bad now as it had been but the latest incident would rate a 5 on a 10 scale.
Not long after it started I happened to eat a piece of candy and the symptoms dropped shortly after. Anything that will help I'm willing to try so I do a good bit of reading.

On a side note I'm noticing that after a few months, friends and family still offer me a drink when I see them, but don't push it when I turn it down. They also don't ask why anymore.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JEANS

Might be worth seeing a doctor if you're concerned. I'm no expert myself but I get the same symptems as you. Two days ago I just started shaking so bad I had to eat some sweets but I put it down to being sober and craving. I may need to read up a bit more about it myself.

Glad to hear your family aren't questioning you on the booze, hopefully they will stop offering it altogether as that must be tough on you.

Good luck in your sobriety
Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll post the link shortly. It's to a medical pamphlet and looks like it's worth trying.
I've also been to a couple of docs after an incident that landed me in the hospital in July. I've found that the medical community (hospital and doctors) aren't up to speed on everything and completely miss the symptoms. I'll try cutting the sweets and temporarily switch to a lower carb diet to see if it makes any difference. Next time I see the doc I'll check into the tests suggested.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't see it earlier but there's another thread with the same subject in the fitness and helth section of this site.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think Susan Powter wrote a book on hypoglycemia and alcoholism. She was the fitness guru from the 90s with the shaved blond head. I read the book which was helpful, but she seemed to say that it was the hypoglycemia that caused the alcoholism and solely that. Once you change your diet to the one she prescribed, all cravings would go away. I believe there are so many more elements or forces of nature that cause one to become an alchie. Like the perfect storm of diet, environment, mental state, upbringing, etc. lead one to becoming an alcoholic.

Just my two cents. Who really knows for sure what causes it.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I posted the article links on the other thread but I'll put them here as well:
http://www.joanmathewslarson.com/HRC...mistry.htm#dry

Low Blood Sugar - Hypoglycemia - Affects Health, Emotions and Learning Ability

Last edited by Dee74; 01-23-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: removed forum link, replaced
Old 01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Jim. I am going thru the paws thing too. I've been reading up on it as well. Recently I have changed my diet and started exercising and it has been a great help. I really have to watch the caffeine and high sugar food. I started eating more vegetables, fruit, protein, and some complex carbs. I try to eat 3 meals a day and have 3 healthy snacks in between so I don't get hungry between each meal. Hunger is a big trigger for me.

The exercise has really made a difference.

God bless.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jim, there's a good book that our CarolD recommends "Under the Influence" and its companion, "Beyond Under the Influence.". Both are well worth reading and I think will be helpful to you.

love from Lenina
Old 01-23-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi.
Lost track of the thread
Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Jim,

Thanks for those links. As of yesterday I am seriously looking at my sugar intake. I need to read as much as this kind of material as I can to reinforce that sugar is bad for me and I would be much happier if I didn't indulge.

CaiHong