Notices

Rock Bottom??

Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rock Bottom??

Last night I was drinking and some how I always seem to need that "last drink" before bed. We did not have anything left in the house so I drove in my pajamas to the near by bar and got a drink and passed out there. My wife called a friend to come get me. How sad. I don't remember most of it but this has to be rock bottom. When is enough enough?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

it's not rock bottom until you stop digging
Old 01-04-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Enough is enough when you've had enough. For me, too much was never enough.
You can hit rock bottom and go right back at it. I bottomed out many times. I dearly hope you don't have to suffer as I did.

It takes action to quit. Alcohol can be beat but it's a life long process.
I really hope you try quiting. More than the bottom awaits you if you don't. For me anyway, and your post sounds like me.

Best to you.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's called finishing out the drunk. What we have to do when the booze is calling the shots.

After my ex took all my clothes, carkeys and money to bed with her I still managed to get the car started and wearing only some jeans with the bottom ripped out I traded some deposit bottles for a couple of cans of stout.

Just another social drinker out there 3/4 drunk, barefoot and shirtless with his ass hanging out in the brightly lit and crowded convenience store.

When the AAs asked me if I knew what going to any lengths meant...yes, I knew.

Hey, when I think of it I only had another 7 years of that kind of crap and much worse to go through after the convenience store semi-streak to the point where I did all the AA stuff. You might be getting close to a solution too, if you're fortunate.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

my experience taught me that my circumstances could, and did continue to worsen even when i thought this was the bottom. external stuff mostly....embarrassing situations, financial problems, duis, drug arrests, girlfirend leaves me, i'd get fired.

but what my bottom really was, was something internal. i knew deep in my soul that in my current state i couldn't live with, or without alcohol and drugs. deep emotional suffering, don't wanna live, chicken to die. i was absolutely fed up with me.

that was my bottom, and it preceded my first moment of clarity. that i was willing to do WHATEVER IT TOOK to stop living this way.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

For one thing, when your behavior becomes unpredictable and dangerous - to yourself and others. It sounds like there's no telling what will happen when you pick up, duke. That's the stage I had reached when I decided I couldn't live that way for one more day.

langkah - Love your black humor - I can relate. So glad you made it out of hell, though.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've always hear that your rock bottom is 6 feet under. So, just think of that. If you want to quit then you will need to stop drinking and get in to a recovery problem.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I remember well that it really didn't matter to me what stupid things I did when I was drinking.... the thought of living without alcohol for the rest of my life seemed worse.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Duke10 View Post
Last night I was drinking and some how I always seem to need that "last drink" before bed. We did not have anything left in the house so I drove in my pajamas to the near by bar and got a drink and passed out there. My wife called a friend to come get me. How sad. I don't remember most of it but this has to be rock bottom. When is enough enough?
Oh man, I feel for you... really. Use it as inspiration man.. use it as motivation to change your life..
Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am going to listen to a speaker at my first AA meeting tonight. I hope I read the schedule and everything right. I am afraid but mostly it scares me because now I am "one of them". Not to be rude but it makes me cry thinking I have become my father. He was a complete jackass and now I am putting my family through tough stuff. I have to hold it together and this is the first step. God help me....
Old 01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing something about your problem Duke.
To my way of thinking, thats not the action of a jackass

D
Old 01-04-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to the club. How serious are you? I was ready willing and able to make some hard decisions I was so down and desperate. I could not do it alone. So I finally did 7 days detox in a hospital, which I scheduled at a VA hospital which you can do too if you served and have an honorable discharge. I was never in trouble and did not have to, my bottom was hit. I was desperate.

I also had a 28 day follow on immediate live in rehab. My doctor and the VA Doctor, both GPs, were with me every step of the way and afterwards.

I got some one on one counseling and group through the whole thing.

I had horrible PAWS and made it through knowing it would all heal eventually. Just like recovering from a bad wreck or fall down a cliff. It hurts before it gets better and stops. No one but a fool would want to stop healing because it was uncomfortable right?

I also did AA for the first three months. And here at SR the whole time.

I was never a public drunk, yet still went voluntarily to all that so I knew I might recover. Having to be carried out from a bar and home you have nothing left to hide, I did. I regret nothing and it really was a non event for everybody but me. That is why my quote from Cohen down below in my sig block.

I have more than a year now. Won't you join me? With whatever it takes?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am afraid but mostly it scares me because now I am "one of them". Not to be rude but it makes me cry thinking I have become my father.

Well, I didn't become my father and that was a problem.

My father was an angry, belligerent drunk and had many other issues. I wasn't like him, personality wise, and was, as the saying goes, "high functioning." But since I wasn't like my father I didn't get help with my drinking for many years. I wish I would have "gotten wise" a lot sooner.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

one of the biggest reliefs for me was when i found out that i was a sick person, not a bad person. addiction is a grave illness. this in no way excuses me from responsibility for my past behaviors, but this knowledge helped make some sense of my insane behavior and inspired me to move forward with a little less guilt, shame, and self-hatred.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Whether this is rock bottom or not doesn't really matter. You have the power, with the help of God, to make a positive change right now! I wondered if I hit rock bottom - I never had a DUI, never got arrested, never stole or even drove drunk, just mostly sat in my house by myself getting blitzed and playing video games. But at some point, I just went overboard and got sick and that was it! I thought I needed to 'hit rock bottom' first (for instance, by running a kid over with my car or attempting suicide) but all in all, I thank God that it never came close to that.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank all of you.................
Old 01-04-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You're doing something about your problem Duke.
To my way of thinking, thats not the action of a jackass

D
Was about to say the samething.

Hang in there dukes!!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Duke10 View Post
I am going to listen to a speaker at my first AA meeting tonight.

Not to be rude but it makes me cry thinking I have become my father. He was a complete jackass and now I am putting my family through tough stuff.
Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Well, I didn't become my father and that was a problem.

My father was an angry, belligerent drunk and had many other issues. I wasn't like him, personality wise, and was, as the saying goes, "high functioning." But since I wasn't like my father I didn't get help with my drinking for many years. I wish I would have "gotten wise" a lot sooner.
I can identify with both of you guys. I wasn't the mean, nasty, hateful, violent alkie that my dad was but I was a drunk.....just like him. I just did "different" things to hurt and disappoint everyone around my life.

And at first, the thought of thinking I was even close to "one of those poor, weak, sick folks in AA" just turned my stomach. The thought I'd have to sell-out bugged me.

On the other hand, once I got to AA....I found out it was a lot better than I figured it would be. It still took me a while to start liking meetings.....but I did start to like some of the ppl pretty quickly. they seemed happy.....and helpful - and best of all, I could just say something and they'd "get me." I didn't need to give a 20 minute introduction about each of my thoughts. They had all been riiiiight where I was and they already understood me.

Let us know how the meeting went, will ya?

And if you wanna chat about AA....... hop on down to the 12-step section of these forums: Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Listen to us: You are not a Jackass. You are trying to rise above this, and I believe you will do it. (Jackasses are oblivious to their behavior and how it affects others. This is not you, Duke.)
Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
I've always hear that your rock bottom is 6 feet under. So, just think of that. If you want to quit then you will need to stop drinking and get in to a recovery problem.
I'm going to expand on this and say that:

1. If you (not you personally, anyone) wait long enough for rock bottom, it may very well become six feet under.

2. If it's gotten to the point where you're wondering where your bottom is, you've probably hit it already.

Rock bottom is not a genie lamp that will appear magically in your path. There is no Rock Bottom Fairy that will come to you in the middle of the night. It won't be delivered to your door. I'm not saying that the OP, or anyone else, thinks it is; I just get the impression that some people seem to be "waiting" for their rock bottom, like it's going to be the apocalypse or something. "My bottom hasn't arrived yet, where oh where is it?!"

Anyone who is at that point, asking themselves and others where their bottom is because they can't find it, haven't hit it, and so continue to (unhappily) drink and get into unfortunate situations, is indeed, IMHO, "sick and tired of being sick and tired".

Just my $0.02