Things to stop doing to yourself - 2

Old 01-03-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Things to stop doing to yourself - 2

This is from a great productivity blog post that I read recently - and it lists 30 things to Stop Doing to Yourself. Here's the link to the original post with the first 5 in case you missed it: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-yourself.html

6. Stop trying to hold onto the past. – You can’t start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading your last one.

7. Stop being scared to make a mistake. – Doing something and getting it wrong is at least ten times more productive than doing nothing. Every success has a trail of failures behind it, and every failure is leading towards success. You end up regretting the things you did NOT do far more than the things you did.

8. Stop berating yourself for old mistakes. – We may love the wrong person and cry about the wrong things, but no matter how things go wrong, one thing is for sure, mistakes help us find the person and things that are right for us. We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here NOW with the power to shape your day and your future. Every single thing that has ever happened in your life is preparing you for a moment that is yet to come.

9. Stop trying to buy happiness. – Many of the things we desire are expensive. But the truth is, the things that really satisfy us are totally free – love, laughter and working on our passions.

10. Stop exclusively looking to others for happiness. – If you’re not happy with who you are on the inside, you won’t be happy in a long-term relationship with anyone else either. You have to create stability in your own life first before you can share it with someone else. Read Stumbling on Happiness .
Old 01-03-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Stop trying to hold onto the past. – You can’t start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading your last one.
I love the concept. I have heard this expressed in different ways - you can't see where you're going if you are continually looking at where you've been.

Bottom line is, I have to remember that the past is the past. It's OVER. I can learn from it (or not) I can repeat the same mistakes as before (or not).

But I want to make better choices and have a healthier life. So - I will keep my focus on TODAY - because it's the one that matters.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Geeesh these are things my inside voice is ALWAYS saying!! Great stuff - thanks for sharing
Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Here's the next 5 on the list:

11. Stop being idle. – Don’t think too much or you’ll create a problem that wasn’t even there in the first place. Evaluate situations and take decisive action. You cannot change what you refuse to confront. Making progress involves risk. Period! You can’t make it to second base with your foot on first.

12. Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

13. Stop getting involved in relationships for the wrong reasons. – Relationships must be chosen wisely. It’s better to be alone than to be in bad company. There’s no need to rush. If something is meant to be, it will happen – in the right time, with the right person, and for the best reason. Fall in love when you’re ready, not when you’re lonely.

14. Stop rejecting new relationships just because old ones didn’t work. – In life you’ll realize that there is a purpose for everyone you meet. Some will test you, some will use you and some will teach you. But most importantly, some will bring out the best in you.

15. Stop trying to compete against everyone else. – Don’t worry about what others doing better than you. Concentrate on beating your own records every day. Success is a battle between YOU and YOURSELF only.