Notices

Quitting my job... anxious and scared

Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting my job... anxious and scared

Today or tomorrow I am giving notice to my company (offering them two week's but hoping they just say adios right away!), and starting my own business. This is something I've wanted for quite some time, and I feel blessed/lucky to have found a good opportunity for a "transition" period of doing contract work for other professionals while also building up my own business. Everything should feel perfect, but, when it comes to quitting my job, I feel so nervous and anxious. I start to question my decision, think about the good things of this job, think about how my boss will react and feel guilty for leaving, feel guilty for not giving enough of myself to the job while I was here, etc. To throw a complete monkey wrench into matters, they just gave me an unexpected and quite generous bonus right before I left for a 10-day holiday vacation! And now I am quitting as soon as I got back from the long vacation. I feel quite horrible about it, even though I know this is not the place for me, I've had issues with different things about the company and I am so excited to be starting off on my own. I just don't know what my problem is!!!

My sister asked if I was going to take a shot before I went in and announced my departure. This is so how I would have handled it in the past (but, no, I will remain sober). I have also been thinking of wanting to "celebrate" finally quitting, which in the past would have been with drinks, shots etc. with friends at a bar, but this time will be with hot chocolate and dinner, but, the old patterns feel engrained in me, and I find it hard to get out of my head.

I am 58 days sober. I am beginnning to question my ability to make such a big change and start my own business while so new in sobriety. I realize I have tons of issues I'm trying to address, and I fear that I am not ready to switch things up so much. On the other hand, I will likely never be ready, and I need to just push myself. It is pretty much too late anyway because I accepted the offer for contract work from the other guys, and, I KNOW I need to do this, I just get really cold feet!

I went home for 10 days over the holidays and was mostly successful at pushing the thought of actually quitting my job out of my mind-- something I wasn't able to do while drinking (I had severe anxiety and would over-analyze/worry about everything). But now I'm starting to wonder if I am just avoiding the issue to the point of not wanting to deal with it... I have no idea what I'll actually say, how I'll actually go about it. Whenever I try to visualize it in my head, I come up with a blank and kind of get distracted into thinking about something else. Maybe I should just go into my boss's office and say the first thing that comes to mind, without having "rehearsed" it, because really there's no good thing to say except, well, I'm leaving.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pigtails View Post
I just don't know what my problem is!!!
... because really there's no good thing to say except, well, I'm leaving.
I don't think I would/will have your problem.

If they, the company, has fullfilled it's promises, been up front about changes, treated you as well as could be expected, you know... been a good place to work, then thank them and give them two weeks.

If they haven't... give them two weeks.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Philo34 View Post
I don't think I would/will have your problem.

If they, the company, has fullfilled it's promises, been up front about changes, treated you as well as could be expected, you know... been a good place to work, then thank them.

If they haven't... give them two weeks.
Hi Philo. I think my problem is more internal. They have not been up front or treated me well (well, some of them have treated me downright awfully... my main boss has treated me well personally but tows the company line when I try to bring up issues I have/ makes it clear that she doesn't want to get involved with how some of the other bosses treat people and that she doesn't like them either and just ignores them... which really isn't an option for me in my lower position). But I have not handled issues well, basically because there doesn't seem to be a good way to handle them... the message is "put up with it or get out," so, I am getting out, but for awhile I stayed stuck out of fear and I just stopped caring because I wasn't motivated. I took the attitude of, fine, if they aren't going to treat me well, I'm not going to work hard. Which was a bad way to handle things. So now I have personal regrets as well as wishing things would have been different, but, I know I need to accept that things are as they are, and move on from it. But I have been unable to emotionally disentangle myself.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi pigtails.
When I got sober the first time from 2000-03, I started my own business. I had about a year and a half of sobriety at that point and I was a pretty stable person with alot of energy. I was still scared though. My wife and I already had two kids and had just bought a house. We worked hard and have been very blessed in the process.

I don't think I would have been ready for it only a couple of months into sobriety, and I definitely wouldn't want to start one at this stage in my sobriety this time around(38 days).

Having a business has its rewards and downfalls. The biggest negative for ours is health insurance, it is very expensive.

Wishing you the best.

God bless.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

...They have not been up front or treated me well (well, some of them have treated me downright awfully... my main boss has treated me well personally but tows the company line when I try to bring up issues I have/ makes it clear that she doesn't want to get involved with how some of the other bosses treat people and that she doesn't like them either and just ignores them... which really isn't an option for me in my lower position). But I have not handled issues well, basically because there doesn't seem to be a good way to handle them... the message is "put up with it or get out,"
WOW... I could have written this myself. I have been looking for other employment for some time. Although I've made some good friends here, I will not be reluctant to leave. good luck
Old 01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jocata View Post
Hi pigtails.
When I got sober the first time from 2000-03, I started my own business. I had about a year and a half of sobriety at that point and I was a pretty stable person with alot of energy. I was still scared though. My wife and I already had two kids and had just bought a house. We worked hard and have been very blessed in the process.

I don't think I would have been ready for it only a couple of months into sobriety, and I definitely wouldn't want to start one at this stage in my sobriety this time around(38 days).

Having a business has its rewards and downfalls. The biggest negative for ours is health insurance, it is very expensive.

Wishing you the best.

God bless.
Thanks for the advice! I am 31 and I feel like this is the best time to start my business because I don't have kids. I often want kids (not sure if this will be in the cards for me or not) and feel like this is the best time to take this risk and work hard now and hopefully by the time kids would be in the picture, my business will be more stable. I have been wanting to do this for a year or so but was afraid of not having enough money... I've saved up money to live off of/run the business for up to a year, but, I was still scared. At about a month's sobriety I saw an ad in a trade publication for an opportunity that looked perfect for me. I will be doing some work for a more established professional with his own business, in exchange for an office, secretarial support, professional resources, etc., and then at an hourly contract rate of top of that. When I saw the ad my heart went crazy and I started to think that maybe there's something to this Higher Power stuff, because I had been "praying" (I'm agnostic but trying it all out) for a solution to my career woes which would allow me to take the risk of starting my own business but also give me some of the stability and financial support I was accustomed to in the past five years of working for others since earning my degree. Well here it was staring me in the face!! I wrote a letter of interest and sent my resume and went and met with the guy, and another guy who has a similar arrangement with the guy, who is expanding... and it felt right all around and so they offered me the opportunity and I accepted it, but said I would give notice to my current job when I returned from holiday vacation.

So in many ways I don't have as many fears about starting a business since I won't be all on my own and will have this transition period of incoming work and little to no overhead while I get started. Also I looked into insurance options and for me they are much cheaper than I anticipated, although it doesn't cover pregnancy (not a problem at the moment, but, eventually...) or mental health (which is scary because I was seeing a counselor, but, she is so-so and I seem to get more out of AA, which is free... or she is pretty low-cost to pay out of pocket... not too much more than I was paying for the co-pays with my current insurance). There is only me on the health insurance policy and I am really healthy except for an anxiety-related sleep disorder that doesn't really have a "cure" anyway. So I guess I got lucky where insurance is concerned as well.

But still I will have to have more structure, self-discipline, organization, and business/financial sense than I have in the past, and that is the scary part to me, as well as making all the decisions and only having myself, rather than a boss, be in charge of what I'm doing. On the other hand I view it as an exciting opportunity, and, in the event that it fails, I guess I can always go get another job, although I really hope it works out.

Thanks again for sharing your practical experience with me, and I'm glad to hear your business is doing well.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey PT

It's a big step...I think it's natural you feel apprehensive, scared, and a little worried...and I empathise with the little guilt you're feeling...

but I know you've put a lot of thought into this from all sides...when it all comes down to it - this is your dream

I'm glad you're following it
Best of luck!

D
Old 01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Philo34 View Post
WOW... I could have written this myself. I have been looking for other employment for some time. Although I've made some good friends here, I will not be reluctant to leave. good luck
Yeah, I have to remember all the really crappy parts of it, instead of glamorizing the few good parts. Good luck to you too... something better will come your way!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
hey PT

It's a big step...I think it's natural you feel apprehensive, scared, and a little worried...and I empathise with the little guilt you're feeling...

but I know you've put a lot of thought into this from all sides...when it all comes down to it - this is your dream

I'm glad you're following it
Best of luck!

D
Thanks!! It is really helpful to hear the encouraging words.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

PT - I'm so proud of you for standing up and living your life! This is actually a particular conversation I know something about, so at least I won't be so insecure in my comment. The first thing I'd do is evaluate your decisions assuming you were not an alcoholic:

1. Bonus. No company I have ever dealt with gives you a year end bonus for the coming year, they do it for time served. That is, you did a good job last year and you were rewarded. Your feelings of guilt are natural, but in this particular department, I'd say you are covered. They were making right for what you already delivered.

2. You just weren't happy. I can't tell you how many employees I have come across who when they cross the not happy line lose all sorts of productivity. The truth is, if you stay in your job, over time your quality of delivery will start to diminish. You are probably doing what's best for everybody. And I'd also bet it won't be a total shock.

3. You are willing to give your two weeks notice. I always find that there is no benefit that comes from ending on bad terms. I think i would walk in, give them notice, tell them the pleasure it was working for your boss, but now it is time for you to follow your dream. You will always cherish the time spent at the company, you learned a lot, and you believe it has armed you with skills that will ensure your future success. For that you are grateful. If you have it in you, you can always add that you are only a telephone call away if they need any transitional guidance for your replacement. It is very hard to not be receptive and happy for you when you treat them with honor and respect on the way out.

4. You are leaving with contract work lined up........YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!!! Considering unemployment rates the way they are, the fact that you have already provisioned for tomorrow, well - who's the best?

5. You have a year's worth of cushion. My god, the old rule (30 years ago) was 6 months. In today's terms, folks barely have 30 days. You have a year. If there was ever a time to start on your own, it is when the economy is starting to pickup and when you can catch it on the upswing. I started my own business a few years back, and sadly, i have concluded i could never go back to corporate employment again! IT'S THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD.

6. Medical Insurance - Usually you are eligible for COBRA (although not sure in your jurisdiction if you quit). Cobra is your exact same medical plan, only no employer contribution, and they can charge up to 102% of the premium cost. That basically means it will be 2% more expensive. I usually find this to be the best option. I would also encourage you to look at ehealthinsurance.com; under the sole proprietorship plans. You get the benefit of group rates, etc. I actually am in this field, so if you need more help, you can message me privately, and I'll do the best I can to help you.

7. Not to be so bold and hopefully not offensive, but judging by your comments re: single and pregnancy not an issue yet - i trust you are on the younger side of your career. if there ever was a time for risks - now's it. And based on everything else you laid out, I'm not sure that i think you are taking that big a risk.

OK SO THE SOBER QUESTION: Let's see, you are seeing clearly, you have a renewed vigor with life, and maybe if you take this leap, you can stop focusing on your daily sobriety and on something newly refreshing in life. I am not saying that being sober isn't awesome, and that you shouldn't focus on it. But there have been a lot of posts about when do we stop counting days....maybe your time has come? maybe you are ready to re-enter society (in your mind) focused on new challenges, only this time thinking clearly and healthily.

I know i shouldn't guide one way or the other - but f-that, I say take the world by storm, don't look back and stay masterfully sober!!!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MentalLoop View Post
PT - I'm so proud of you for standing up and living your life! This is actually a particular conversation I know something about, so at least I won't be so insecure in my comment. The first thing I'd do is evaluate your decisions assuming you were not an alcoholic:

1. Bonus. No company I have ever dealt with gives you a year end bonus for the coming year, they do it for time served. That is, you did a good job last year and you were rewarded. Your feelings of guilt are natural, but in this particular department, I'd say you are covered. They were making right for what you already delivered.

2. You just weren't happy. I can't tell you how many employees I have come across who when they cross the not happy line lose all sorts of productivity. The truth is, if you stay in your job, over time your quality of delivery will start to diminish. You are probably doing what's best for everybody. And I'd also bet it won't be a total shock.

3. You are willing to give your two weeks notice. I always find that there is no benefit that comes from ending on bad terms. I think i would walk in, give them notice, tell them the pleasure it was working for your boss, but now it is time for you to follow your dream. You will always cherish the time spent at the company, you learned a lot, and you believe it has armed you with skills that will ensure your future success. For that you are grateful. If you have it in you, you can always add that you are only a telephone call away if they need any transitional guidance for your replacement. It is very hard to not be receptive and happy for you when you treat them with honor and respect on the way out.

4. You are leaving with contract work lined up........YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!!! Considering unemployment rates the way they are, the fact that you have already provisioned for tomorrow, well - who's the best?

5. You have a year's worth of cushion. My god, the old rule (30 years ago) was 6 months. In today's terms, folks barely have 30 days. You have a year. If there was ever a time to start on your own, it is when the economy is starting to pickup and when you can catch it on the upswing. I started my own business a few years back, and sadly, i have concluded i could never go back to corporate employment again! IT'S THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD.

6. Medical Insurance - Usually you are eligible for COBRA (although not sure in your jurisdiction if you quit). Cobra is your exact same medical plan, only no employer contribution, and they can charge up to 102% of the premium cost. That basically means it will be 2% more expensive. I usually find this to be the best option. I would also encourage you to look at ehealthinsurance.com; under the sole proprietorship plans. You get the benefit of group rates, etc. I actually am in this field, so if you need more help, you can message me privately, and I'll do the best I can to help you.

7. Not to be so bold and hopefully not offensive, but judging by your comments re: single and pregnancy not an issue yet - i trust you are on the younger side of your career. if there ever was a time for risks - now's it. And based on everything else you laid out, I'm not sure that i think you are taking that big a risk.

OK SO THE SOBER QUESTION: Let's see, you are seeing clearly, you have a renewed vigor with life, and maybe if you take this leap, you can stop focusing on your daily sobriety and on something newly refreshing in life. I am not saying that being sober isn't awesome, and that you shouldn't focus on it. But there have been a lot of posts about when do we stop counting days....maybe your time has come? maybe you are ready to re-enter society (in your mind) focused on new challenges, only this time thinking clearly and healthily.

I know i shouldn't guide one way or the other - but f-that, I say take the world by storm, don't look back and stay masterfully sober!!!
Aww, thank you so much for all the solid advice. You are right that my bonus was for 2011. It came with a general letter I thought was given to all employees, but then I heard that bonuses and the amount thereof were voted on by an employee-to-employee basis, and not everyone got one. So I guess whoever got a bonus got the letter, and the letter said that it was a hard year and they're sorry the bonus isn't better (I actually think it was quite good), but that hopefully next year with everyone's help in working hard, there will be higher bonuses. So I guess I took that as them giving me an incentive to work harder this year and help the company, etc., and forgot about the part where the bonus wasto reflect my work done in 2011, and apparently would have been higher had they had more money.

You are so right that my productivity has been low because I haven't been happy and haven't felt motivated, internally or externally. You are also right that I am on the younger side of my career, about five and a half years in... sometimes I worry that I am too inexperienced to do this on my own, but, when I met with the guys I will be doing contract work for, they were inexperienced in my particular field, and said it is a good one to have knowledge in. So in a way I guess I'm ahead of the game. I am trying to have more confidence and think positively instead of negatively. I also have somewhat of a support network of professionals I've worked with in the past that I can call with questions if I'm stuck, which should help.

I do look forward to the day where I'm not constantly obsessing about not drinking/my sobriety, but, at the moment I still feel knee-deep in recovery. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I am learning a lot about myself and how to improve my life. I am about to ask a friend from AA to sponsor me and about to start working the steps. Ideally I would have done this before starting my own business, but, the time is ripe and I suppose it's never too late. I suppose I will have two big focuses, my new business and sobriety, but at least I have some time under my belt and feel a lot more confident in sobriety than I did just a month or so ago. I know for sure that my productivity and energy is way up when I don't drink, and that drinking would just cause chaos and unhappiness again, so, having my own business is like an extra motivator to stay sober. And hopefully I will get to that place where sobriety is not such a huge deal like it feels like right now.

I have had so many people who own their own businesses say they will never go back to working for someone again. I can already sense that I will feel that way too. Thank you so much for the encouragment and for sharing your time-tested advice. I like the way you suggest phrasing my announcement of departure/giving notice, and will let you know how it goes!!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Best of luck in your new endeavor. Stressed where you are, stressed on your own, either way remember your priority. I'll be pulling for ya!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pigtails - All my life I let fear of the unknown hold me back from doing things I should have. I think it's wonderful and brave of you to take this big step. I know you've put alot of thought into it, and you feel ready. We'll be here to cheer you on. All the very best to you as you spread your wings.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Pigtails - I was in a similar situation not too long ago. I wasn't happy in my current position, had tried to make it work for so long, had an amazing opportunity come up and also questioned whether to make the leap. After careful consideration, I decided to go with what I felt was right for me and accepted the new position. I am soooo glad I did. I also felt guilty at first about taking my bonus from the year prior before leaving, but you know what? I earned every penny.

I gave two weeks notice, thanked them sincerely for everything I had learned and for the experience, gave extra effort in transferring over any tasks and left on a good note with my contact information (after fighting back tears over leaving). Then I did what I needed to do which was move on to bigger and better things and work to make myself happy and content. Remember, their job is to run a business and yours is to choose to do what you want to do with your life
Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great Thread Pigtails,

I was first self employed as a teenager on, but always undercapitalized. After I got sober at your age, read as much as I could on small start-ups, and following up to save, like you've done; .... a year's operating capital, and it all worked out fine.

Continued sobriety was the key. That, and much needed fitness; for the long hours.

I'm a big believer that a struggling economy can be a great time to start up. Many times the down cycle has already culled out innefficient, or ill-run operations.

It used to be a general thought that 90% of start ups fail within two years.

Since you've already overcome the most common hurdle (undercapitallization), that 90% shouldn't apply. Giving yourself a chance to realise your progressive ideal is;..like longterm sobriety, a true gift. And worth protecting.

I wish you the best, and continued motivation
Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My sister asked if I was going to take a shot before I went in and announced my departure.
Wow...That's some support. I don't know if you have taken your third step or not....If you have...It would be a good time to put it to work. You sound like you know what you want to do. I wish you nothing but the best in your new career.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post

Best of luck in your new endeavor. Stressed where you are, stressed on your own, either way remember your priority. I'll be pulling for ya!
Yeah, I have to remember that I'm stressed here, so, any stress I have on my own will be a different kind-- at least I'll be working for myself and in charge of my own destiny. I'm tired of being afraid to leave/afraid to stay, so, I'm making a change despite this fear. Thanks for pointing this out!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Pigtails - All my life I let fear of the unknown hold me back from doing things I should have. I think it's wonderful and brave of you to take this big step. I know you've put alot of thought into it, and you feel ready. We'll be here to cheer you on. All the very best to you as you spread your wings.
Thank uyou Hevyn for the super encouraging post!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Inca View Post
Hi Pigtails - I was in a similar situation not too long ago. I wasn't happy in my current position, had tried to make it work for so long, had an amazing opportunity come up and also questioned whether to make the leap. After careful consideration, I decided to go with what I felt was right for me and accepted the new position. I am soooo glad I did. I also felt guilty at first about taking my bonus from the year prior before leaving, but you know what? I earned every penny.

I gave two weeks notice, thanked them sincerely for everything I had learned and for the experience, gave extra effort in transferring over any tasks and left on a good note with my contact information (after fighting back tears over leaving). Then I did what I needed to do which was move on to bigger and better things and work to make myself happy and content. Remember, their job is to run a business and yours is to choose to do what you want to do with your life
I'm so glad to hear it worked out for you. Thanks for sharing your experience! I am going to try to leave on as good a note as possible. The last line of your post is especially true!!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
Great Thread Pigtails,

I was first self employed as a teenager on, but always undercapitalized. After I got sober at your age, read as much as I could on small start-ups, and following up to save, like you've done; .... a year's operating capital, and it all worked out fine.

Continued sobriety was the key. That, and much needed fitness; for the long hours.
I'm a big believer that a struggling economy can be a great time to start up. Many times the down cycle has already culled out innefficient, or ill-run operations.

It used to be a general thought that 90% of start ups fail within two years.

Since you've already overcome the most common hurdle (undercapitallization), that 90% shouldn't apply. Giving yourself a chance to realise your progressive ideal is;..like longterm sobriety, a true gift. And worth protecting.

I wish you the best, and continued motivation

Thanks TopSpin. I do agree that staying sober is the key. I have so much more motivation when sober, I feel more comfortable/stable overall, and I don't make as many stupid decisions.