Notices

I thought the worst was over...

Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I thought the worst was over...

Today I'm at one week sober. The last two days I have felt great, but last night I couldn't sleep, and today I've got a pounding headache and all I can think about is a nice tall gin and tonic. I woke up with booze on the mind and I can't shake it. It's going to be a bit before I can get to a meeting, so I just wanted to vent a little. I'm really frustrated because I thought that after a week the intense cravings would be gone and the physical addiction would be cured. But it feels as bad now as it did three days in.

There's this little voice in my head pointing out all the bars and restaurants I could go to just to take the edge off. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, it might take longer.

I felt okay after a week, but not really good. And, my cravings were not gone in a week either. I think it was more like a month. But, as long as you're on track and stay focused, things will get better.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Join us in the chat room! We're always helpin out in there and would be happy to talk until you get to a meeting.

I got the intense cravings last time after 16 days, and I TOTALLY regretted buying wine, driving wine home, drinking wine, and then being buzzed. I hated it all, it was a new experience, and I felt like I threw away such hard work... Keep strong CA.. It totally gets better, you'd much rather be going through this once, than starting over and going through it again this time next week, no?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One week isnt very long. Different things can cause cravings not sleeping well could be a trigger. Hopefully you have been eating right. H.a.l.t. dont get to angry lonely or tired.Im pulling for you. Its a hard time stick with the basics!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agree with what's already been mentioned. I'm on day 15. Physical symptoms are long gone but as far as emotionally and the cravings, I'm still feeling it big time. When I got sober the first time, I evened out a little more each day and after a month I felt pretty good. Too good cause then I relapsed....trust me, you only want to go through the tough stuff once because it gets worse everytime you start and stop. Keep sticking with it and I'll do the same. It WILL get better, just takes patience which I know is tough for us immediate gratification folks.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Things were definitely bumpy for me, too. (In a way, I think the bad days felt worse because of the good days.....) I learned that they don't last though, and often the good days that followed got even better.

It can only get worse if you drink, right? Stay close to SR and know that "this too shall pass."
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Closet -

Untreated alcoholism sucks.....
IMO, it's as bad as or maybe worse than drinking. Granted, I don't have a shot at getting better if I'm drinking but at least I get some very temporary relief once and a while. And fwiw, I've known guys who white-knuckled it for years with no relief.....so, if you're an alkie like me, without some big changes and some new actions, it won't go away on it's own. Time doesn't cure alcoholism.

That said....recovery FROM alcoholism can and will open the doors to an entirely new life that's better in almost every way conceivable. Odds are, you never would have looked for that life were it not for the continuous beatings of alcoholism. So, in a way, its a blessing in disguise.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Closet

The emotional withdrawal from alcohol takes longer than the physical withdrawal. We have a chat function on this site... join us. Talk to folks just like you in real time.

I am 85 days and woke up this morning craving.

Good luck and fight the good fight ;-)
Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClosetAlchie View Post
Today I'm at one week sober. The last two days I have felt great, but last night I couldn't sleep, and today I've got a pounding headache and all I can think about is a nice tall gin and tonic. I woke up with booze on the mind and I can't shake it. It's going to be a bit before I can get to a meeting, so I just wanted to vent a little. I'm really frustrated because I thought that after a week the intense cravings would be gone and the physical addiction would be cured. But it feels as bad now as it did three days in.

There's this little voice in my head pointing out all the bars and restaurants I could go to just to take the edge off. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
DONT listen to the voice! one gin and tonic will put you right back to zero.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found this technique useful CA

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang on closet, you can do it. I've been blessed in that I don't crave a drink or a drug too often, and when it does come, it's not to strong or long lived. That being said, I do have horrendous emotional ups and downs still(day 38 sober). From what I have researched, the emotional trips can last for quite awhile, BUT they do get better as time goes on.
Just remember, you are not the only one going through it. A bunch of us are. Keep posting your feelings and thoughts. I do, and it helps immensly. Hang tough.

God bless.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Closetalcie,
It takes longer than a week, I think it is different for everyone, so I don't want to give you a timeline. For me it was rough at times but worth it in the long run. What are you doing besides not drinking to help you keep sober?

You need a lot of support and positive reinforcement, especially to combat the AV and the cravings. You can do it I am 7 months sober with the help of this forum which I visit at least once a day read and post. AA meetings when I can get to them.
Hang in there, you can do it.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 01-03-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Look closet, I had a terrible time with PAWS and it lasted much longer than anybody else I have seen posting. No matter how tough those seemed I was determined that it was like recovering from a car wreck and I was just in pain from getting better and sure did not want to quit and start all over again. I don't know if this makes sense but the harder it was, the harder I worked. Because I was more afraid of going through it twice than I was of the first time as it got better daily. I don't know how the folks who talk about relapsing over and over do it.

What some folks mistake for strength is rational terror. I was, and am, more afraid of going back then pressing forward.

Join me in my cowardice!!! Pick up and drink?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well I got to a meeting and aired out some of this, and I'm feeling better. Thanks all for the support.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good job Closet - I didn't get rid of the headaches for about 45 days and still have some emotional cravings - bad one on NYE (there's a shock huh?) but all in all it i getting easier. Hang in there - I'm with Itchy though - I NEVER want to go through this again.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

It WILL get better, just takes patience which I know is tough for us immediate gratification folks.
I find that the problem with delayed gratification is all the waiting that goes along with it.

The harder it was, the harder I worked. I was more afraid of going through it twice than I was of the first time. I don't know how the folks who talk about relapsing over and over do it.

What some folks mistake for strength is rational terror. I was, and am, more afraid of going back then pressing forward.
I like that, Itchy. I am strong in my sobriety because I am just scared to death of picking up. There are other reasons too, but that one is a biggie.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Closet,
Hooo Rah! Every day it gets easier, and you are further from drinking. Eventually you will look back and won't be able to see it in the distance anymore. Then you can spend all your time looking ahead.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. One more day without a drink! It's kind of empowering actually. Now if only I could fall asleep...
Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sleep? Ya mean when we are sober we get to sleep sometimes too?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Unfortunatly, nothing worth having comes easily ClosetAlchie! I felt pretty ok physically after a week but the crazy emotions and insomnia are still dogging me after nearly 3 weeks. *sigh* this monster is really something.