Notices

Day 3 and feeling great

Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 and feeling great

Well, at some point I'll post my whole story, but suffice to say it mirrors what I've already read here from others. I am a 35 year old female who had a very healthy relationship with alcohol (but unhealthy with food) until I had a gastric bypass at 31. I was determined not to be like so many others and gain the weight back ( and I haven't)... I am extremely physically active, have a substantial amount of muscle for a female and actually am constantly told I lookmuch younger than my 30's... But I have also spent the last 4 years becoming a progressively worse alcoholic... Up to 3 bottles of wine per day ( my drug of choice and nothing else will do). Because I have been extremely high functioning for so long ( great career, otherwise good health, good looks etc) I found no reason to quit, even though I've known for more than a year now what I've been doing to my body is not right and that I've been extremely lucky to date that I haven't seriously hurt myself or someone else. The last few months I've noticed some terrible things: I've slacked at the gym and When I do get the energy to go my performance is lackluster. My hairs dry, my eyesight is getting poorer, and those pounds I've been so proud of keeping off five years later? Creeping back on... I am not ashamed to say I am an attractive woman and a little vain about my looks, but on most mornings I now need eye drops and makeup to cover dry squinty eyes and red splotches on my face. It's a decidedly strange feeling to be both bloated and dehydrated at the same time. My memory is terrible and I've been an academic all my life. And my work ethic has suffered, waking up feeling sick means more sick days from work and it has been noticed (Another source of pride in my life up til now). My poor relationship with alcohol has started to leech away all the things that have been a source of pride and self Esteem. I have become a Slave to something that will eventually kill me. But not if I do something about it. It is 3 days since I've had a drink, and even in that short time, the effects are immediate: although I've struggled with insomnia, my workouts at the gym feel amazing, I feel clearer, my eyes aren't as puffy, and I have a positive outlook. Looking to get to day 7 when I know that bloated feeling will start to diminish and 60 days from now when Ive finally dropped that 15 lbs I couldn't seem to in the last year, and 90 days when it's backpackin season again and I'm back in shape to do the hard hiking I love and be able to sleep peacefully in the wilderness instead of having to knock out with Tylenol pm cause I can't get to sleep naturally. Oh, and being a good and helpful friend instead of hiding like a recluse because I didnt want anyone to see my problem. I can think of a million reasons why NOT to have another drink, and not one why I should.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome to SR Sic...you've made the right decision.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

to SR.
You are in the right place here.
You will get the understanding and support you need to get to where you want to go. Always stay positive.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard sicofbeingsic

D
Old 01-03-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you have a great attitude, and I'm glad the detoxing is going well for you.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, sicofbeingsic!

Great post - "Leech" is a really good word for what alcohol does to us. Glad you've decided to join our community!