Notices

I'm new

Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new

Hi, I'm Sarah. New to the site. I've been a binge drinker since I turned 21. I'm 26 now.

My dad struggled with an alcohol problem for years. He was a daily drinker and would stop in the bar after work and drink until 10 or 11 at night. He was never an angry drunk (in fact my sister and I would laugh at how silly he acted.) Needless to say, I've been around alcohol my entire life.
I didn't drink much l before I turned 21. A couple times a year I'd drink with my mom at the bar (here in Wisconsin a minor can drink in the bar with a parent.) At 19 I got a job as a bartender. By the time I turned 21, most of my closest friends were regulars at the bar. I'd close up if it was slow and we'd go barhopping. I started getting drunk to the point of black out when I was 22. I never drank 2 days in a row, mainly because I was usually nursing a hangover the next day. I never drove drunk, I always walked home.
I've quit drinking a few times in the last year, but usually didn't make it past day 15 before drinking myself silly. The longest I went was last month for 23 days.
My last quit almost seemed more of a necessity than an actual desire to quit because I suddenly had so much anxiety and panic when in public (even working was an incredible difficulty and I almost quit my job a few times over it.) I'm learning how to deal with it now.
Yesterday I drank for about 12 hours and now I'm starting over at Day One. I usually feel pretty hopeless on day one, but not so much this time after reading some of what others posted here!
Anyway, I needed to vent this. Sorry it was kind of long! It's nice to read what you all write, I don't feel so alone anymore!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

you'll find a lot of support here Sarah - welcome!

D
Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Sarah!!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Sarah))) - Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah, i wish you the best in your efforts to quit. Theres so may good thing awaiting you with a sober life. The rewards well surpass the efforts.
Its my first day going sober, my last drink was last night and i will not look back as i am done drowning my life in booze. The cravings are knocking hard but there wont be no answer
Be strong and it will all work out, remember we are not alone in this fight.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sarah!
Lots of good folks here for you. What are you going to do differently this time? Have you thought about AA? Smart techniques and meetings? Face to face counseling? Have you talked over honestly how much you drink with your Doctor? Rehab? There are lots of things you can do in addition to here, but SR is a vital part for me because except for initial in-patient treatment, only SR is here 24/7 with no appointment necessary.

Welcome again! I look forward to your posts.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah! Welcome!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are defenately not alone here Sarah. There are many people who feel and have felt the same way you do. Keep posting and God bless.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Sarah . I'm 27 and was a binge drinker too! You'll find great support here. You can do this.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Sarah!

Glad you found us! You now have a ton of friends who know what you're going through. None of us can really do this on our own, so make yourself at home and know that things really will get better.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sarah. Really glad you found SR. This place made a huge difference for me. You'll get a ton of info and support here. You're on your way to a healthier, happier life.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! We can achieve sobriety together!