I found an Al-Anon meeting

Old 12-12-2003, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I found an Al-Anon meeting

Well, I got up the nerve to call and found an Al-Anon meeting in my area that has a Newcomer's group. They meet on Monday evenings.

I will have to tell Hubby I am going and that he will have to put the kid to bed (which is always my job). I don't know what his reaction will be. He'll probably think I am being crazy and overreacting, but he won't blow up or anything.

I still don't know if I'll have the nerve to follow through and go. But I do feel better having called. And I think I am starting to "get it" about coming at it from the viewpoint of I can only change *my* actions and feelings about the drinking; hubby will have to change on his own.

I confess I have a secret hope that just knowing that I'm taking this seriously enough to go to a meeting might give him an epiphany. But I suppose I should try not to hope for that, because I'm only supposed to be examining *myself*, right!
Old 12-12-2003, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Good for you!

Stoneweaver, yes, it does take a little nerve to get up and go to that first meeting but you know what? We all had to do that, at least once. Just remember, everyone there was a first timer at some point and since it's a newcomers meeting, I bet you won't be the only first timer.

Don't give up, maybe your serious attention to his disease and the fact that you're doing what you have to to take care of yourself won't give him an epiphany, it could be any trigger, or none at all. However, it is not impossible for him to epiphanized (I like to make up words).

If it helps, because I too am still such a newbie and haven't attended nearly enough meetings, take me w/you in your heart Monday night...I'll ride along and we'll face the nerves together!
Old 12-12-2003, 11:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations.......you're taking such a smart step. And no, it's not silly to hope......

I've heard many, many AA members share they followed their spouses into recovery.

Here's a nice, juicy thought.......Al-Anon often just ruins the fun of drinking for many alcoholics. *hehe

Now.......that's worth showing up for!
Old 12-13-2003, 04:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I knew I liked you Marce!!

Hugs,
JT