Notices

Withdrawal experiences

Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal experiences

Hi, I am not seeking medical advice I am only asking you to tell me what it was like the first week you quit drinking. Also, how much and for how long did you drink and what did you feel when you quit.

Thank you,
Old 01-02-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here you go, and I do hope you talk to your dr:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anna, while I appreciate the link the posts are old. I am looking for new faces to relate their experiences. This seems like a good time of the year. I understand the need to see a doctor. I just would like to read some current personal experiences.

Thank you
Old 01-02-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok then, here's my experience

Day One: Feel like crap. Anxiety and paranoia through the roof. Keep getting flashbacks of all the resentments I have and all the selfish things I have done in my drinking career. Very sleepy and having a hard time putting together a coherent sentence. Can't comprehend what people say and have to keep asking them to repeat.

Day Two: Still sleepy. A little anxiety but better than the first day. Can't sleep at all and up all night.

Day Three: Major insomnia, still can't sleep at night. Anxiety and paranoia are gone and I'm laughing again.

Day Four - Day Eight: Feel back to normal except still not sleeping well and having nightmares. Planning my life and on top of a pink cloud!!!! So glad to be sober and can't believe I have wasted so much time.

Day Nine - Day Twelve: Realizing that sobriety is going to be really hard. Feeling self pity and that maybe I can just have one? It's New Years!!!

Day Ten -Today: Groggy and tired. Unmotivated. Realize that I can't just have one. Gaze longingly at alcohol whenever I see it.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker but still had withdrawals. Even after a weekend of drinking- usually it was non-stop though.

Day 1- shakes, nausea, couldn't eat but hungry, extreme anxiety, gagging for no reason, no sleep

Day 2 Still shaking, no eating, hard to sleep, anxiety, night terrors

Day 3 can eat, shakes better, sleep still spotty, anxiety still there but better

Day 4 shaky, sleep spotty, brain fog, anxiety

After 4 days the symptoms are SO MUCH better. Or lessened should I say.

The first three days are what suck the worse. The anxiety freaks me out. My worries were multiplied by about 50.

Good luck and keep posting.

I was drinking 10-12 miniatures of vodka per day.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

forget about the first week .
it's a right off.

try not to think off anything important.
just do the absolute necessary things.
dont do anything in haste, wait for the fog to clear.
week two is a whole lot better.
good luck
Old 01-02-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

too.tall

I remember my previous 6 days of sobriety. 1 and 2 day felt awful. Could not sleep for the first 2 nights. Had nightmares. Real ones. Bugs on the walls, cat under bed. I have a cat, but I keep my bedroom door closed. Day 3 I felt perfect until day 6 when I relapsed.

Its easier to stay sober than starting again from day1.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am day at day 4...I never had withdrawals really, just being agitated and REALLY wanting to drink. I have found myself going to bed early with some sleeplessness and getting up really early.
By the way, the first post to this thread with the links, you said they were old--People are people they don't really change, the info could have been 100yrs old, and I am sure you will find the information pertinent.
Good luck to you
Old 01-02-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

The first week of sobriety for me was HORRIBLE!!!! So was the second, I was sick as a dog!!! Skin so dry I was peeling from head to toe, even the palms of my hands. I couldn't drink enough water to quench my thirst. My hair was like straw, I had the night sweats so bad I would soak through my clothes everynight for over two weeks. My hands were shaking so bad I could only hold half a cup of water at a time.....after two weeks it began to get better, it took a solid month to even begin to feel anything like normal....but each day was a little better than the one before. It took over a year sober for my short term memory to start comming back...but it is as sharp as ever now.

How much was I drinking to get to that point? I was probably a fifth to 1 1/2 fifths of vodka a day for way longer than I care to remember.

When I think about how bad detoxing was the last time (I had made several attempts before I finally "got" it) it truly helps me stay sober today. I know that I never have to feel that way again, as long as I don't take that first drink...I pray that those memories NEVER fade.

Cathy
Old 01-02-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry double post
Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok, tripple post...crap
Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Sorry, my reply posted twice for some reason!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i was drinking a little over a pint of vodka every day for a year. i made my new years res to quit. im on day 2, and ive been shaky, havent slept,balance seems a little bit off. sucks
Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surlyredhead View Post
Sorry, my reply posted twice for some reason!
Hi

May i ask what a 5th of drink in uk terms?

Thank you

Paddyb
Old 01-02-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Originally Posted by Paddyb View Post
Hi

May i ask what a 5th of drink in uk terms?

Thank you

Paddyb
750ml or 25.5oz
Old 01-02-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

it's difficult to make any kind of comparison when we are all different ages, health status, sexes and weights....my experience may be 180 degrees from the next person.

you can have extreme gi upset both ends, auditory hallucinations, pain everywhere, dehydration, sugar cravings, insomnia and heavy sweating for the first 3-5 days...then a few hours sleep.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sleep and tiredness were an issue, but those are small compared to what sobriety has done for me.

(daily drinker for 6 years)
Old 01-03-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I have gone three days and not felt any withdrawal. I found this surprising since I have been drinking for 30+ years. My drink was mostly wine, at least one bottle per night. I am going to begin my journey to sobriety tonight. My father was a drinker and it has tarnished my memory of him. I don't want the same for my son.

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi there. I'm on day three. The anxiety and fear is terrible. I'm also very irritable, but mostly just anxious and afraid of everything. I've taken long walks around the neighborhood the last two nights, and that's helped a bit. I tried taking Inositol, but that hasn't done anything at all. I ordered some Kava tea to help with relaxation, but I won't have it for a few more days. I'm going to walk a bit faster tonight, and a bit faster the next night, until I'm jogging, and eventually running each night. That's my plan of action.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR CharlesBrown

D