Notices

New to this...

Old 01-01-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this...

Hi, I am 23 years old and I live in Manchester, in Britain. I have been a heavy drinker since I was 17 and recently I cannot stop. I don't drink every day, but when I do I can drink a litre of vodka, or 4 or 5 bottles of wine. It got worse when I split up from my ex. We were together for 3 and a half years. I have tried counselling but I just cannot give up. I get chest infections all the time, stomach aches, headaches, palpatations, chest pains...does anyone else get this? I gave up for 7 weeks before X-mas, but with the festive season it all got too tempting for me. My friends know I am trying to cut down but my family are oblivious as most of them are problem drinkers. Does anyone have any advice for me?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((BlueEyedBoy))) - Welcome to SR!! My first suggestion would be to see a dr., especially with the symptoms you've been having and be honest - a dr. can't help you if they don't know the whole story.

SR is a great place, with a whole lot of people who know exactly how you feel. When I first got here, I read a lot of posts and realized I wasn't alone and that's a big help.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-01-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.

You had 7 weeks sober, so you know that you can do it again. One thing I would ask you is what changes did you make in your life, besides stopping drinking? I found I had to rethink my daily routines, I started getting outside and walking a lot every day. I stayed away from a couple of people in my life. Know that you can do this, but it will take hard work.

It's best if you talk to your dr about your health concerns.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am going to see my GP on Wednesday and be honest. It feels like my body is giving up a bit and I am too young for that! I just worry about being sober. I hate booze but it is also like a friend...the relationship is weird. I am sure people out there understand. When I did my 7 weeks of being sober I saw a change in myself...but the sensation of drinking feels so strong. I just hope I have the willpower to beat it.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Blueeyedboy

Welcome

I second the Dr advice.
Have you thought of real life support at all - AA or some other recovery group?

D
Old 01-01-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am going to an AA meeting on Thursday...I am so nervous!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, blue!

Glad you're here. The holidays can be a dangerous time for us - especially the first one. Don't let this shake your resolve, though.

Reaching out for support made a big difference for me - I couldn't stop on my own either. At least you know you don't want to go back to that vicious cycle of drinking.

No one can really say if all your symptoms are related to drinking, but I think it's safe to say that at 23, you shouldn't be having those issues. The good news is that once we get rid of the alcohol, the body can start healing. Like the others said, it can only help to talk to a doctor.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Great idea to see a doctor. That has helped me a LOT with the anxiety and other withdrawal symptoms. And don't be nervous about AA. I was too when I went to my first meeting the other day, but they were fantastic. So welcoming, friendly, and wanting to help. It will really motivate you to hear their stories and you will find a lot of similarities in their stories that will comfort you about your own. Give it a chance and try not to be nervous. You don't have to talk your first time there and they won't expect it. Just sit back, listen, and be inspired.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went home and my parents' house was constantly full of alcohol, so I feel awful about relapsing, but I sort of felt it was inevitable. Hopefully, after seeking some much needed help, I will be strong enough to resist it next time. I hope with my body I haven't done any lasting damage. I can't believe I drink so much when I know, in my sober state, just how awful it is. But I feel like I am starting to make some positive choices in my life, like joining this site (it seems so supportive!).
Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mah

Hello BlueEyedBoy
i see you and i have alot of things in common! i understand what you are talking about! the the palpitaions and chest pains are some weird symptoms i used to get the day after.. what you are referring to is (about the palpitaion+chest pain part) is known as "holiday heart syndrome" (googlet it, i cant post links yet, so check out the article on wikipedia)
i am a med student, and i know alot about the disadvantages of alcohol, and yet i drank myself into oblivion almost every weekend.. and it has affected every aspect of my life : my studies, relationships in general, particularly with my family and my financial situation as a student!
so anyways, welcome, i too am new here, hope i can help u more, and i wish you could help me too I wish you the best of luck!