Notices

the biggest thing being sober has given me...

Old 01-01-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the biggest thing being sober has given me...

I was just reflecting on the biggest thing being sober has given me...

Being sober has given me my self worth back. Looking back on the last 20+ years of my life I spent drunk. The relationships I had were always with men who had bigger issues than I. I choose them because they made me feel a false sense of superiority. I would only choose the best for myself now. I worked in a bar for 19yrs and surrounded myself with people who were mostly just like me (drunks). I never felt like I could be better and being hungover did not mix with college very well.

I trapped myself in a corner and a black whole of misery,self pity,self destruction,self hatred, and pain all because of alcohol. My wish for everybody dealing with alcoholism is to regain their real self worth back. It is completely different then the fake drunk self esteem. My life is now full of hope and possibilities and strength despite my real hard life issues.

I am so thankful to be given the chance to live my life the way God intended me to. I am looking forward to my future, finally alcohol free

That is all

Stay Sober and LIVE LIFE!! HAPPY every day spent sober!! It is a wonderful, beautiful gift!

Month 6

XO-Beth
When the mind is backed by will, miracles happen.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~ Maria Robinson
Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

6 months is really huge Beth! Congrats!

I have my dignity and self respect back too. I went to college for my first time at age 30. I was a 9th grade dropout, and the first in my family to earn a college degree and a graduate education. Most of it was night classes. It's never too late.

But I am really glad you realize now that you do deserve more. Sounds like sober thinking to me.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What a wonderful post. I regret so much the time wasted being numb and foggy. I didn't grow or mature, was oblivious to real feelings & emotions. I'm so happy you've found your way out of the black hole.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 01-01-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great thread. The biggest thing sober has given me is time. No more evenings heading straight for the wine bottle and then being absent from my family. I get so much done now!

Congrats on the 6 months!