Notices

support needed

Old 01-01-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

support needed

Happy New Year Everyone!! I have been a lurker on this site for some time now. I think it is a great tool and something that can help me in my recovery. I just moved to a new area for work and feel myself slipping back into my old ways. It scares me. DOC alcohol. Been drinking every night for the past 7 years. Recently things changed though and i reached that FED UP point. I got sober with AA by my side for over 25 days. I felt the best I ever have! Anyway, like a fool I thought I could go back to a couple drinks a night, of course it lasted a small amount of time, then I was back to a bottle or a bottle and a half of wine a night. This isnt a new Years resolution of any sort I am just back at that fed up point and want to get back in control of my life!!! Anyway, like I said I just moved to a new area for work and am wanting to ditch the booze for good and get back to life and being in control. Because right now I am LOST!!!! Just looking for some support and figured through the kind people and words I see here I came to the right place. thanks!!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ... There is lots of support here!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stepping View Post
Happy New Year Everyone!! I have been a lurker on this site for some time now. I think it is a great tool and something that can help me in my recovery. I just moved to a new area for work and feel myself slipping back into my old ways. It scares me. DOC alcohol. Been drinking every night for the past 7 years. Recently things changed though and i reached that FED UP point. I got sober with AA by my side for over 25 days. I felt the best I ever have! Anyway, like a fool I thought I could go back to a couple drinks a night, of course it lasted a small amount of time, then I was back to a bottle or a bottle and a half of wine a night. This isnt a new Years resolution of any sort I am just back at that fed up point and want to get back in control of my life!!! Anyway, like I said I just moved to a new area for work and am wanting to ditch the booze for good and get back to life and being in control. Because right now I am LOST!!!! Just looking for some support and figured through the kind people and words I see here I came to the right place. thanks!!
Hey stepping , I am glad to hear that you want to give recovery another try and I think it is a good idea to try and get support daily , this is a great site with wonderful support and can help you a lot . Good luck my friend and happy new year !
Old 01-01-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

I am in the process of exploring AA in my area and the options are ENORMOUS! I plan on attending ASAP. I moved to an area where the scenery itself gets me high..this is good for me. I love to hike and take walks and stuff so I plan on getting into some of that today! Also I love to write so getting a new life journal is on the to do list today. I feel really good today when thinking about how my life is going to be and leaving the h*** behind that I was living and the funny thing is I was creating it. I am in control of every step I do or do not take!!!!
I know the first day is going to be tough but I know from experience that is usually from the hangover, guilt and shame from the night before...and i WILLLLL make it through! the best is yet to come!!
Thanks so much for the support Mark and Robbie..you have no idea how much it means to me!!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Welcome stepping,
For me personally I had never gotten serious about quitting until April of 2011 and relapsed a few times, I learned something about myself, my cravings and my compulsions. It is not easy to say the least, but you can do it. My relapses started to go on for three months (or so) and I would be digging myself out of mountains of empty beer cans and bottles, feeling that same hell just had to dust myself off and get back to it. Because sobriety is worth everything and in your new location hopefully you can make a fresh start, Like you wrote above make sure you fill your free time with something you enjoy and is good for you.
Best wishes.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Stepping!

I love hearing how you love the scenery, outdoors, walking, hiking. Me too! And, those things have been so important in my recovery.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome stepping!
You came to a great place with lots of 24/7 resources, reading past posts not the least of those in the wee hours of the Morning, where we all end up for some period of our withdrawal and PAWS. Don't forget to check out chat and poke around and see what is happening in the other forums too.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Stepping))) - Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, stepping!

New town, new job, new scenery - sounds like a perfect time to get sober so that you can enjoy it all! Give yourself some time to adjust, one day at a time..... You can do this!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Stepping

D
Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

WOW!!! Thank you SO much for the support. I am having a more difficult time than expected but am determined to get better.... Can I ask some advice.... I have been drinking like a bottle of wine for the last week a night then added a half to that last night. I know I am hungover right now and that it too shall pass BUT I am terrified of going to work early on Tuesday morning... do you guys think the shakes are going to be too much? I am already a nervous person and my anxiety is through the roof accompanied by many panic attacks I fight daily. I am SO SURE about quitting BUT am scared my WD will carry over to Tuesday... I have all today and tomorrow to stop cold turkey but in yalls opinions do you think I will be OK mentally and physically by Tuesday..this is the scariest part for me so any advice will help.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi stepping! You aren't alone - you have us. Even though I knew what needed to be done, I struggled terribly until I joined SR. I was immediately less anxious and comforted by all the help and suggestions. I hope you find it to be a huge help too. You can do this stepping!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We posted at the same time, so I didn't see your question. I would think tomorrow would be the most difficult day. Tuesday you won't be feeling great, but the worst should be over? I think we're all different, just guessing. You never have to go through this again, that's the good news.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

awe reading all of your posts makes me tear up! think i am gonna fit in just fine here YOU GUYS R GREAT!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

haha Heyvn I posted at the same time as you too! Yes I agree tonight and tomorrow are probably gonna be the hardest and am so greatful to hear you think it will be OK by Tuesday...from experience I know the first couple weeks stink but it does get better every day.... AND I LOVE THIS,,,,,,I will only have to go through this once!!! I wrote it down for future reference!! SO TRUE!!! Makes me excited!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Stepping - I really need to add that withdrawal can be dangerous & it's always safest to check with a doctor if possible. Just wanted to be clear on that.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Yes, I understand Heyvn and you are right. If I feel I am not OK I will not hesitate to ask for help. I am staying hydrated and taking some extra vitamins. Guess a better question is: what are some things that help the WD? AKA ...Make them easier to cope with. When I got sober the first time I went cold turkey and was drinking more than I am now on this relapse. But I know each time is different and each person is different. If I feel anything is wrong don't worry I will be the first to ask for help
Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Today is day 5 for me and my hands are steady and I feel pretty good. I walked the dog and went grocery shopping... Why would I want to go back to that poison? Get through the pain of the first few days.

I actually smiled when I woke up with NO NYE HANGOVER for the first time in at least 30 years.... Just do
Old 01-01-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Rugby that is awesome I hope to achieve that milestone when we roll in 2013! Good job on 5 days!!! You will always be 5 ahead of me.... Let the journey rollllllll
Old 01-01-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

No one can really predict the progress of a withdrawal, IMO stepping - there are just too many individual factors.

If you're concerned about shaking etc I really recommend you check with a Dr

D