Notices

My New Years Eve...

Old 01-01-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My New Years Eve...

...was the first one i have spent sober since i started drinking 28 years ago. My wife's in New Orleans and i spent the evening with my 11 yo daughter and two of her friends...smoked two racks of baby back ribs, boiled 2 lbs. of jumbo shrimp, baked 4 dozen cookies, an shot fireworks with the kids...we toasted at midnight with some sparkling grape juice and called it a night!!!

I sure look forward to not waking up tomorrow with a massive hangover, regretting many things i did, and the ones i didn't remember, and most of all safe in sound in my home (not in jail or in a hospital) with my kiddo!!!

Had a real good evening and didn't even think about a drink!!! Never thought NYE could be fun w/o alcohol, boy was i wrong!!!

Happy New Year to Everyone, i hope yours was enjoyable as mine!!!

Good Night and God Bless us ALL in 2012!!!

Tom
Old 01-01-2012, 12:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Tommy!

D
Old 01-01-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's awesome....Sounds like life....First one for me in 35 years tonight....Stayed home...Safe, sane and sober....I never liked going out on New Years eve....Too many drunks on the road. It was worse when I was one of them.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Tommy))) - sounds like an awesome way to bring in the new year!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-01-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jumbo shrimp and cookies? I'm envious! I'm glad you had a good New Year's Eve celebration and started out 2012 on a positive note.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats Tommy! That is a HUGE thing to do!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations Tommy!! Last night was the first New Years Eve that I spent sober in over 20 years sober too! I stayed home with my wife, cooked her a nice dinner and watched movies. I live across the street from three bars and I looked out the window and saw someone vomiting into a garbage can and it just reminded me of how grateful I am to be sober. It feels so good to start the new year without a hangover and on the right track!! Happy New Year!!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy New Year, Tommy! I too, had the first sober NYE in many years. Did a "Harper's Island" mini-series marathon, ate chili and snacks and went to bed at 1:30AM.

No hangover!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And the weird thing is today doesn't feel like New Years Day AT ALL!!! New Years Day as I know it was being hung over as hell and not even being able to move from the bed....never looked forward to New Years Day!!!

This morning, I got up and made breakfast, read the paper, and am looking forward to a nice relaxing day with my daughter, football, and good food!!!

I hope everyone has a blessed day and 2012!!!

Thanks for the support.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting Tommy. I totally agree. Great time last night and booze free!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Waking up feeling good and not hung over is only a part of sobriety. Wait till you start to make good use of the time and clear head you now have!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Sounds like a you had a good time - Great post! -
Old 01-01-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like a fun night! Good job staying sober and being there to have fun with your daughter. That's such a huge gift to her.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you, Tommy - that is so uplifting. I, too, thought NYE would be dull without drinking. What's really dull is sitting in a stupor, not even being part of life.

It'll just keep getting better Tommy.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happy New Year to you too Tommy (and everyone else on SR). And congratulations on the sober NYE!

Like you, I had my first sober NYE in nearly 20 years. Me and my husband went into London to have dinner and see a show, and then onto the Embankment to watch the midnight fireworks. We were surrounded by people drinking alcohol all night and we didn't touch a drop ourselves - didn't even feel like it! And it was a fantastic night - one of the best NYE's I can remember (actually, it's probably the only one I can remember properly). It was a lovely way to end one year and start another.

It was a bit of an eye opener too. We saw quite a few people last night who were completely wasted, and its quite shocking how awful people look and act when drunk, particularly the women. I never noticed before, 'cos I was always one of them!

Anyway, wishing you all a happy and sober 2012!