Notices

Promises Promises

Old 12-31-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Promises Promises

Well it has been an incredible year.. finally started asking myself the tough questions. Very confused and torn, for the first time I tried with limited success to quit drinking. I stayed sober for an amazing 21 days and fell off, got back on, fell off. I promised myself that on the first of January 2012 I would be sober. I would quit for that day and take it one day at a time with the intention to quit for good. Of course I drank until my heart’s content until today. I have a lot of questions right now about everything.. more that I can type out and more I’m sure than anyone wants to read and reply to. I have decided to attend my first meeting on Tuesday and find a sponsor as soon as possible. I am not sure where I am going to find the strength and am so scared of failing again. I wonder what I am going to do, who I am going to find myself to be and how I got this far.. So again the adventure begins and I hope.. no pray.. no I will stay sober even if only for the next 24 hrs.. Happy new year.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Hey Bro,

Glad to hear you decided to try again. I seem to be a broked record with my next statment but I am new to this game as well. Therefore the only advice that I can offer is to keep trying and remember those 21 days, top that and keep going. Also I would recommend not to be afraid of faliure, dont expect it by any means but being afraid of something is only going to increase your stress and make you more ad more tempted to drink again. Calm down, breath in, breath out, and now know, not think, know, that you are going to beat this. It may take a while and you might get knocked on your ass a couple of times. But if you do remember why you want to do this and think about what you life could be like once you do. Then just put one foot in front of the other and start. That is so far what I am trying to do anyway. But I am only on day 8 myself and it took me more than a month to get this far so take my advise knowing that as well.

INH
Old 12-31-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a great start to the year Ed

why wait til Tuesday tho? start as you mean to go on - can you find a meeting today or tomorrow?

welcome back

D
Old 12-31-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ed, I hope and pray the best for you.

When you go to your meeting on Tuesday you may very well find your strength there. Listen to those that have many 24 hours in a row, they too came into to the rooms wondering how they would do it.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ed,

I would echo what "insertamehere" stated - Believe in yourself. Take it one day at a time, think it through and harnass the deep desire you have to change. Today is day 37 for me and I KNOW that if I can do it - YOU CAN TOO. We are all behind you
Old 12-31-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey ED...

I know its hard. Sounds like you have a real good plan to quit in the works. Keep us posted.

Happy New Years
Old 12-31-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Ed,

Good on you for getting to a meeting. You will gain a lot of strength from the felowship, I could not have stayed sober without it. It does get easier. You have to believe that when times get rough and anyway it's true.

All power to you
CaiHong
Old 12-31-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are making the decision to quit drinking, but why wait until Tuesday to go to a meeting?

AA groups don't take Holidays off, there is always a meeting somewhere. My home group meets on Sunday evenings and they met last Sunday on Christmas (although I was out of town).

I'm looking forward to going to my meeting tomorrow on New Years day with my buddies. Not only will we have a great meeting, but afterwards we will talk football.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you're back, Ed. You can do this!