Notices

just can't drink tonight...

Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just can't drink tonight...

I'm going to a party where the booze will be free-flowing and I just can't drink. I start my new job on Tuesday, and part of the agreement for it is I have to be breathalyzed every morning before work, as well as being subject to random drug and alcohol urine analysis. So I just really can't drink tonight...and yet there is a part of me that is so self-destructive it might still take hold of me and make me drink. I'm getting anxious just thinking about it so I wanted to come on here and post. I already went to one AA meeting this morning and I'm going to hit another one this evening. Support is appreciated!!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Turn that CAN'T into WON'T, and you got it.

You might want to check out the "Addictive Voice" concept discussed at length on the AVRT thread, in the secular connections forum of SR.

You are the one with the hands, feet, and gullet. Not your addictive voice.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why not just skip the party?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

On one hand you have a job waiting for you to show up at Tuesday, on the other hand you have an invite to a heavy drinking party where you are concerned you'll drink and blow off your prospects.

A guy who wants to drink would rationalize it as 'well there's always another job.'
Old 12-31-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I already spent quite a bit of money on the ticket, otherwise I would definitely consider just skipping. I will be fine though, I'm going into it with only one objective in mind: I WON'T DRINK. Everything else can play itself out.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by comanche View Post
I already spent quite a bit of money on the ticket, otherwise I would definitely consider just skipping. I will be fine though, I'm going into it with only one objective in mind: I WON'T DRINK. Everything else can play itself out.
It's not about the party and not about drinking or not drinking.

Placing your sobriety in some danger when you are still fragile is not all that important to you.

If you want a clear idea of it's value in dollars, this is a opportune moment to see that. Your sobriety right now, today, has a value to you somewhat less than the cost of your ticket to the bash.

Hopefully you paid for your party ticket the average cost of a 30 day treatment program, as many like yourself are shelling out that much to get to where you are now. Putting your sobriety at risk for less would be an insult to them.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Of course, you are free to do whatever you will, but I don't understand why someone so new in recovery, and with a new job on the line, would put themselves in such a position.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I already spent quite a bit of money on the ticket, otherwise ...
Sell the d**n ticket - or trade it - or give it away. If you drink you will be throwing away vastly more money in the long run. I wouldn't take that chance.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The price of the ticket is not worth the price of drinking and having your new job fall through.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are walking directly into the Lions den holding a piece of raw meat and beckoning the lion over for a snack. Parties for New years with free flowing alcohol don't bide well for those of us who realize we are powerless over alcohol
Old 12-31-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck tonight. I went to a few parties (work related) early on in my recovery---actually I am still early in my recovery lol---and I was able to hold off drinking. You might want to be prepared for the peer pressure, etc in advance, and have an exit plan where you bolt when you feel the urge.

I, like others, would advice you not too go, but I went to some so that would be like the pot calling the kettle black.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got invited to a house party where booze will be flowing too. I know it will hurt the ones who invited me, but I decided that I am not going... After work, I am coming right back here on SR.. It's safe here
Old 12-31-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Comanche - I tend to agree there are things more important than money.

If you're thinking this now
.and yet there is a part of me that is so self-destructive it might still take hold of me and make me drink.
- personally, I'd skip the party.

D
Old 12-31-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

I was invited to several parties...... I'm NOT going to any.
It's to ewarly to put my sobriety to the test.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who responded...I'm going to go, but I will be surrounded by friends who know that I don't drink and are supportive of me...I know that in the end it comes down to me but having the support network does help...I feel like I'm walking into battle haha
Old 12-31-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FT

Thank you to everyone who responded...I'm going to go, but I will be surrounded by friends who know that I don't drink and are supportive of me...I know that in the end it comes down to me but having the support network does help...I feel like I'm walking into battle haha
Good luck comanche.

If you are a non-drinker, it won't matter.

Sounds silly, but once you have decided that's who you are, it won't matter who drinks next to you, in front of you, behind you, or nowhere at all. Non-drinkers don't drink. Period. No questions. End of story.

Stay strong.

FT, Non-Drinker.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

comanche - Just beware of the 'I'll just have one' line of thinking. Please be careful - we care about you.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

you've spent an average of $50,000.00 on booze already...

shred the ticket
Old 12-31-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Random Guy

It's probably too late now but the first one of these I went to wasn't a good idea. I went in with all the best intentions repeating to myself "I won't drink". In the end I caved after a couple of hours and after that first beer was chugging more to "catch up with lost time". I have since faced simillar situations and came out on top but I just hope tonight you don't repeat my mistake.

INH
Old 12-31-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ur a stronger man than me. I aint ready for that