Notices

Quick question about benzodiazapines...

Old 12-30-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick question about benzodiazapines...

Sorry for bothering everyone with this but I was just wondering. When taking Clonazepam (or some other benzo) for alcohol withdrawals, how long were you taking them? And when you got off them, did the alcohol withdrawals come back? Can you successfully taper off benzos without having any anxiety? Or once I come off them, should I expect to have some anxiety/withdrawals no matter what?

I've been sober 10 days, on clonazepam and a beta blocker for the last 3. I want to stop taking them within the next few days. But I'm still getting alcohol withdrawals at night. Thanks, and again sorry for bother everyone with this.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I am starting Day 1 AGAIN tomorrow (and hopefully for the last time) and I have used Librium for the withdrawals with pretty good success. No benzo will take away all of the symptoms but they do help a LOT. My doctor has me on a very short course of them, however, and I'm done with them in 4 days because they are habit forming. I've done okay with that, they just leave me feeling sleepy and lazy while I'm on them. I haven't had a problem doing the taper (yet ... hopefully not this time either). I start with 2 capsules 4x a day the first day, 1 capsule 4x a day the second day, 1 capsule 2x a day the fourth day, and then on the fifth day, it's just one capsule at bedtime.

I think the longer you are on the benzos, the more difficulty you will have coming off of them and you certainly can't stop them cold turkey. Have you discussed this with your doctor/prescriber? Because they would certainly be able to give you better advice about your dosages and getting off of them without anxiety/withdrawals.

Good luck to you.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never taken benzos so I have no experience to share.

I think the best thing would be to speak with your Dr if you have concerns tho, Xyphen

D
Old 12-30-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys. I will continue trying to reduce the dosage each day until I don't need them anymore. And after 14 days sober I'm still having anxiety issues, it may be time to see the doctor about anxiety itself. Because I shouldn't be having alcohol withdrawals this damn long. There may be an underlying issue here. Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I will continue trying to reduce the dosage each day until I don't need them anymore
Is that what the Dr suggested Xyphen?

D
Old 12-30-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

She didn't really give a suggestion as to how to stop taking them. She only said to take them as needed, when I'm experiencing anxiety. I didn't think to ask. If I am still taking them by Monday I will call her and ask about it.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Every manufacturer of benzos states they are for short term use -- one week to 10 days -- and should be tapered when stopping. they are for extreme anxiety or panic, not just as an aid to smooth out the rough edges.

Feeling anxious at 14 days is totally expected. Whether you need to medicate the anxiety at this stage is really something to discuss with y our doctor.

Trust me, you do not want to be in a position where you are dependent on benzos to get through the day or get a night's rest. Benzo life is a hell that will cost more than you are willing to pay to climb out of.

Benzos are highly addictive, and many become addicted in a very short period of time, develop tolerance quickly, and, well, destroy lives. Like mine.

Can you get addicted in 14 days? Yes.

Is it worth riding out the anxiety as you grow used to living without alcohol? Yes.

Benzos are routinely prescribed during alcohol detox to prevent seizures. I would suspect you are past the risk of a seizure at this point, but I am no doctor.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I took xanax for quite some time and that was not a pretty picture when I stopped. My body whiplashed into the super anxiety zone after it was out of my system. No sleep, nausea, the works. I wouldn't take those much longer at all if I were you. You will have a whole new issue on your hands if you do.
God bless.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would ask your Doc for sure

D
Old 12-30-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the great information, guys. You really gave me a lot to think about. I just have one more question. It just occurred to me that perhaps I could just take the beta blocker, Propranolol, to reduce my heart rate and blood pressure when I'm going through my anxiety. Is this okay to take without getting withdrawals? Is there any risk of becoming addicted?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Okay my experience is this. I was put on Klonopin for panic disorder in 1995. I was also put on a beta blocker and antidepressant. This was long before the alcohol abuse. BUT my dose was 1mg per day - low. Anyway. I went off of it for a while after being on it for a few years and only had some mild issues. Then the panic came back full force waking me from sleep. Put on it again, same dose. I haven't had any issues while on it and thank god it exists (so does my husband). It makes me feel "normal." I think some of us have some ramped up CNSs and I personally have a serious problem with panic. Benzos get a bad rap because they have been so widely abused. I have no idea why because all they do is put you to sleep if you take more than you are supposed to and if you're really trying to hurt yourself with them they don't let you use them.

The beta blockers I take help more than the benzos. They keep my adrenalin under control which stops the panic. I know you want to rush to get off these medications but I hope you will listen to your doctor. You won't become addicted to them if you take them exactly as prescribed and if the worry is so bad about this you should really talk more to your doctor.

Hang in there all this is supposed to help you move in the right direction.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hesitate to bring the rule book out but. as I've been suggesting, SR's really not the place to ask those kinds of questions Xyphen

People can share their experience up to a point but it should never replace professional medical advice.

We ask that people not ask for, or give medical advice.

from rule 10:

Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals.
thanks
D
Old 12-30-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have lorazapam for anxiety only.
I only take a half a pill when needed and it's plenty
After 5 months the anxiety attacks (PAWS) has dropped substantially
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dee74, thank you for the reminder. I read those rules before I joined and I guess this thread may have crossed the line. I apologize. I'll do what my girlfriend recommended to me. Do just as my doctor told me. Take it as needed for anxiety and heart rate. Come Monday, I'll give her a call and express my concerns. From there we'll work out a solution.

Thanks 1undone for sharing your experience. I really appreciate it. =)
Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1undone View Post
Okay my experience is this. I was put on Klonopin for panic disorder in 1995. I was also put on a beta blocker and antidepressant. This was long before the alcohol abuse. BUT my dose was 1mg per day - low. Anyway. I went off of it for a while after being on it for a few years and only had some mild issues. Then the panic came back full force waking me from sleep. Put on it again, same dose. I haven't had any issues while on it and thank god it exists (so does my husband). It makes me feel "normal." I think some of us have some ramped up CNSs and I personally have a serious problem with panic. Benzos get a bad rap because they have been so widely abused. I have no idea why because all they do is put you to sleep if you take more than you are supposed to and if you're really trying to hurt yourself with them they don't let you use them.

The beta blockers I take help more than the benzos. They keep my adrenalin under control which stops the panic. I know you want to rush to get off these medications but I hope you will listen to your doctor. You won't become addicted to them if you take them exactly as prescribed and if the worry is so bad about this you should really talk more to your doctor.

Hang in there all this is supposed to help you move in the right direction.
I'm all for benzo use prescribed by a doctor for detox, and echo the point that a beta blocker is an excellent choice, too. My experience is that propanolol can be addictive in a physical sense, but many people live on them for decades with no real side effects.
Benzos on the other hand can become addictive in a matter of weeks. And there is a real danger for someone taking one milligram or less daily for a significant period of time to face serious consequences if they abruptly quit taking them.

I have lived with panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and major depression for a few decades, and masked the symptoms with benzos for years. That said, I have been benzo free now for 15 months, and am doing a lot better off of them than on.

I know the Internet isn't like God speaking, but troll through the threads of people struggling to get off of a quarter milligram of Klonopin on the benzo support threads on other sites, and, well, I have to buy into the notion that they are scary.

Manufacturers now state that their own drug should only be used for a period of a week to 10 days, and only for severe anxiety and panic. Why? Because of the quick tolerance most patients develop, the protracted withdrawal cessation creates, and the wicked paradox that anxiety and panic come back tenfold upon cessation.

Sorry, I have no tolerance for continued benzo use. That said, I also don't work, am on disability for depression and panic, and certainly don't face the daily stress most people do. Shucks, I had a mini panic attack talking to a stranger in line at Starbucks yesterday. Still, I wouldn't go back to benzo use. They work way to well, providing that one emotion we all seek to stave off anxiety -- apathy. I want to feel my emotions.

Oh...I know a guy in the program of AA who lives on one milligram of Klonopin and Ambien at night for sleep. He relapses constantly on booze. Oh...the shrink who prescribed me benzos is considered a regional expert on panic, anxiety and depression. Lived on a milligram or two for a few years, built up a tolerance, and ended up destroying my life on a dosage that would make a horse stumble. Oh...I've seen many people get knocked out of their gourds on one milligram. Oh...man...I better stop. Love you all. I don't think the issue is consequences from "abuse" of benzos, but rather "use" for more than a few weeks for anxiety.