Notices

Sober New Years Eve Plans??

Old 12-30-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober New Years Eve Plans??

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to see what everyone else had planned for New Years Eve. My husband and I are going to some wonderful gay boys house and having a sober new years eve dinner. Our friends do drink lightly but they respect our wishes and get sparkling grape and apple juice! Who could really ask for better friends then that?

So, what are your new years plans? Do you spend it around other people that drink? Do you spend it by yourself? If you are out please becareful and remember there are alot of people out there drinking and driving (some of us use to be those people!).

Thanks!
Saliena
Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm spending it at home with the wife and kids, we will probably watch a movie and be in bed by 10:00 P.M. Yeah, I know, pretty wild and crazy.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

I like to watch the ball drop in New York's Times Square on TV! Since I'm on the West Coast, I can have my New Year's Eve that way and STILL get to bed by 9:30. Ha!

Ft
Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

With family cooking chicken wings.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Yum!!!

Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
With family cooking chicken wings.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Twilight Zone marathon!!! That's the highlight of my New Years.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well let's see. We always have a 'birthday party' for my 2 grand daughters, both born in December, so we will be having that at my daughters house. S-I-L will be barbequing, hotdogs, and hamburgers for the kids, then later some lovely Boneless Rib Eyes for us.

Since we are in Mountain Time Zone, we will put the Times Square Dropping Ball on from the East Cost and all the kids will be in bed by 10:30pm.

I will go home, and be picked up by my Sheriff Deputy friend about 11or 11:30 pm to do something I haven't done the last few years. His wife is making me a thermos of some new Sumatra Coffee that she says is "out of this world" and off he and I will go to one of the 'Bat Mobiles' at one of the Sobriety Check Points, and I will do paperwork (computer data entry now, lol) of those that are arrested for DUI. And yes, the 'check points', in this county 'move' around throughout the late evening early morning.

I did this for years, but when I got sick I could not do it any more. Now that my health is 'perking' up again, I got my job back.

I just love the 'irony' of a 'very bad azz former durnk' working with the Sheriff's department.

I will take a nap when I get home (I have extremely erratic sleeping patterns these days) from that endeavor and then watch the Rose Parade, bright eyed and bushy tailed, roflmao

I hope y'all have a safe, sane, sober, and most definitely FUN New Year's.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Earth Child

We are spending new years eve here on SR and with my husband ...we got some food in for the new years eve and some J20 to drink
Ella
Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

No plans, I kinda wanna do something, but it gets too crazy out there and WAY too many drunks for me.
... maybe: here for some of the day, facebook and do some cooking.
I know I will have to hold my wiener at midnight ... he gets scared.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm going to spend it at home and go to bed early so I can be up at 9am for the gym.

Everybody I know will be drinking so I would rather give this NYE a miss as its my first one sober.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am joining a group of people on a midnight candlelit walk for charity (hospice care). The walk is about 2-3 miles by the sea. I bought one of those sky lanterns and I am going to light it and let it go....a symbol of all the crazed thinking and behaviour that I am also letting go. 2011 was a very bad year for me and I was almost slain by the demons, I have survived. With the help of SR,AA, counselling and taking constant inventory of my own thoughts and behaviour I will be better in 2012.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, I have to work Saturday till about 6. Then I'll just come home and chillax. No plans for me. I wouldn't risk driving around here...there's crazy drunk people out there.

Then Sunday, I have to open at work @9 so I'll be up early.

I'm stocked up on ice cream and sleepytime so I'll be just fine.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm going to spend it like any other day. There is too much hype with New Years because of resolutions and drinking. Any day an alcoholic can drink and seem normal around others is only giving them more confidence that they don't have a problem. I'd rather work, go for a walk, and have a good nights rest.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I was always into the New Year and stayed home when drinking but rarely participated in shooting off fireworks which are legal and very popular here. And after the burn and fireworks bans of the 4th of July this past summer from the drought, I expect there to be double the normal amount tomorrow night.

Lots of interesting things y'all are doing and we are reading them all. I hate having to clean up all the mess from fireworks the next day. Usually just watching the ball drop on TV and then some other TV depending. MY SH has to work tomorrow so I am thinking about picking up some catered food trays or something.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fireworks with a lady friend &/or pub with mates (I'll be sober) &/or stay home.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Family game night with hubby, mom & dad! Lots of snacks and alcohol free drinks :-)
Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My husband is on a trip so I'll be here at our cabin with the dog & cats. We will all probably snuggle up in bed with something yummy and watch sons of anarchy, and after the ball drops I'll go work on my survival bunker for the end of the world next December. hahaha
Old 12-30-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Im going to an AA Marathon with my sponsor.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
I like to watch the ball drop in New York's Times Square on TV! Since I'm on the West Coast, I can have my New Year's Eve that way and STILL get to bed by 9:30. Ha!

Ft
I like to watch the ball drop too, but I'm out East and actually have to make it to midnight....which I rarely can. I usually nod off.

This year I'm saying home with my husband and daughter. We'll have some good food and fancy beverages (no alcohol of course) and watch a movie or two.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Going to spend time with an old friend and his family. Will be going to his sister in laws house for a bit which is a drinking party and a danger zone for me for a couple hours but then back to their house to watch the ball drop and celebrate with the kids. I will not be drinking! Gotta know what it feels like to wake up sans hangover on the 1st. Be safe everybody!