Notices

Trigger - Food

Old 12-30-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Trigger - Food

Who else has this trigger? It's huge for me.

For my upcoming sobriety plan, I know I need to create a type of "diet" so I don't find myself in a precarious position.

Sugar is something I'll be trying to stay away from.

I'd love to hear the snacks (healthy) and ways you have found to make sure this trigger doesn't rear it's ugly head. Thanks!!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You belong to a gym so if you are working out the extra calories shouldn't hurt.

When the alcohol cravings hit me in my first couple of months I would clean out the cabinets and literally eat everything in sight. I craved sweets like crazy. I never gained a pound though, but I never lost either.

Now I keep some variety of nuts and dried fruit handy.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Well, the calories are an issue for me because I'm overweight. Belonging to a gym doesn't necessarily cure that for me unfortunately!

Also, I had read that eating sugar while quitting drinking kind of prolongs the agony of quitting drinking as the body sees it as sugar regardless if it's booze or candy.

That's funny - I'm picturing someone ravaging the cabinets for a pigout fest. Suppose it can't hurt to clean out my closets!

I was thinking more of things to bring to work, things to keep in my car for my commute, my purse.

Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
You belong to a gym so if you are working out the extra calories shouldn't hurt.

When the alcohol cravings hit me in my first couple of months I would clean out the cabinets and literally eat everything in sight. I craved sweets like crazy. I never gained a pound though, but I never lost either.

Now I keep some variety of nuts and dried fruit handy.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

I make my desire to live a healthy, fit, happy, productive sober life far stronger than any excuse (trigger) to get loaded.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was an overweight kinda guy. I'm not sure if sugar prolonged the agony but I sure enjoyed the ice cream and cake and cookies I had missed all those years because none of that mixes with beer very well lol.

For me, dried fruit is the way to go. Nice and naturally sweet. Fresh fruit but I don't recommend eating it in the car and getting stuff all sticky.

Pretzels are great too.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Pretzels!! That's a good traveling snack. Fruit, yeah, once I ate an apple in the car on the way to the gym. Went just fine until I was done. Then, where to put it? Not like I can toss the thing out on the freeway! LOL

Dried fruit is a great suggestion too! Thanks!

Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
I was an overweight kinda guy. I'm not sure if sugar prolonged the agony but I sure enjoyed the ice cream and cake and cookies I had missed all those years because none of that mixes with beer very well lol.

For me, dried fruit is the way to go. Nice and naturally sweet. Fresh fruit but I don't recommend eating it in the car and getting stuff all sticky.

Pretzels are great too.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomdecel View Post
I make my desire to live a healthy, fit, happy, productive sober life far stronger than any excuse (trigger) to get loaded.
Well of course we are all trying to do that. Do you have any healthy food ideas to stay on topic?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I can say I too am a bit overweight. Between the alcohol and then the junk food I would eat the day after when I'm hungover and only want ramen noodle and soda pop, well in the past 3 years that added about 50 lbs.
I do now have little bits of chocolate, small buttery cookies, or biscotti but when I purchased those it was because before becoming fully addicted to alcohol I used to take pleasure in things like a cookie, biscotti or chocolate with my espresso.
So I'm trying to learn to turn back to the little pleasures that I used to enjoy to keep me happy. Still though, starting Dec 31(tomorrow) we're hitting the gym non stop. Jan 3rd hubby goes on a 3 month training so he'll be gone and my son and I will be going to the gym together and I'll be watching my diet like crazy!
I plan on also getting my son to do Tai Chi and Yoga with me. He's super crazy about Karate so I'm hoping he might like this.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I crave sweets also Its day 24 for me. Last nite I just ate and ate, BUT I didnt drink. THANK GOD. I really wanted a drink. So I guess if thats what it takes right now then so be it. I havent gained any wheight but then I gave up 2000 calories a day in beer and bboze. It all works out. I think for now Ill worry about staying sober and not the calories. When Im sober a couple of months then Ill think about dieting.
Diana