Notices

Boredom

Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kza

Boredom

I know this topic has been done to death but how do you cope with it?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Can you define what it means to you? It would help.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know being drunk isn't coping with it, it's just being drunk. I'm trying to be sober and if that's boring so be it. I'm actually eating, reading, walking, thinking, playing with my pup. I guess living.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I go for walks, read, color (how grade school!), watch something funny, clean, cook, go drive to a park, post here (lol), go window shopping, volunteer, look up local events...sometimes just getting out of the house and driving to a place nearby i've never or rarely been...it depends on what you like to do. Try doing something different. Knitting is also something I enjoy. Try new things. You may discover a new hobby!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kza

Depends on when exactly you feel bored I guess...but I think the general answer is to simply mix up your routine...any interests, hobbies? anything you'd like to do or try?

We're only limited by our imagination - you can do whatever you want to do so long as it's not drinking

here's some ideas to start you off
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

D
Old 12-28-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do all sorts of stuff- exercise, play with my dog, read fiction, read AA and recovery literature, hang out with sober friends, go to movies, surf the net, cook, beading, home improvements...

Right now I am into to video games though. I dusted off the old Xbox and am playing this game called Crash Bandicoot that is about to drive me up a wall. But I keep playing it.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I work quite a bit. I take really good care of my home & my animals. Read, yoga, walk dogs. Just normal life stuff, but I am very mindful of what I do. Drinking was much more boring than my ordinary life.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When you get in one of those "up" moods, write down things that you want to get done. Use this list for inspiration when you are bored.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kza'
I look at it from another angle, there are lots of things to do but when I was drinking I sort of wanted to do them but drinking took priority or I would do both with varying degrees of success. To be honest most things I could not enjoy without a drink.

I don't know how long you have been sober but I have been sober coming up to seven months and I can honestly say I do more and enjoy more of a variety of activities than when I was drinking.
The drinking made my life boring I was afraid to do a lot of stuff because of my drinking. It is so good to be free and pursue whatever my heart desires.

I have a secret desire to sing in a choir while travelling through Europe. This is doable and I don't have to worry about stuffing up because of my drinking.

KZA, what is your program?

CaiHong
Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

recently i took up kniting, just to keep myself occupied. i also have been looking into some art classes, or just classes in general! something to get out and be productive at things ive always wanted to do or try.