Notices

New Here

Old 12-28-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to sobriety. I have allowed alcohol to consume me and have been watching my life go down the drain. I have wasted so much time, money, health, and quality of life for the sake of drinking.

After getting up this morning horribly hung over and going through the "I can't live like this one more day" self-berating, I decided to get help. It might sound odd, but I realized I don't know how to stop. I did some research and understand that I need medical help because I get the shakes really bad when I don't drink.

So, I made an appointment at a treatment center tonight at 9:00 for an evaluation. I admitted the depth of my addiction to my boyfriend, who of course knew it but was smart enough not to mention it. I've poured out everything that I didn't drink last night, and I'm watching the clock until my appointment.

Does anyone have advice or experience to share for a brand-new-newbie regarding quitting and/or treatment? What can I expect? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi jamesgirl,

I'm repeating day 2, so I can't offer much advice. I do want to say that this is a great start, going to a treatment center. I hadn't thought about stopping until this Nov. so I didn't have any idea what to expect. I still don't know what to expect but I found out that people do quit, do get better and become happy people.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((jamesgirl))) - Welcome to SR!! I'm really glad you have the appointment with the treatment center, as the first thing I would recommend is getting checked out by a dr. When I first found SR, I spent a lot of time reading others posts and found out there are a whole lot of us going through similar, if not the same, situations. That helped, knowing I wasn't the only one who sunk to the levels I did.

You're in good company - there are people here in every stage of recovery - from those who are contemplating it to those with decades in recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JamesGirl

I have no personal experience of treatment centes but I know others will be along to share.

I think getting help - any kind of help - is a good move
Welcome to SR

D
Old 12-28-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, jamesgirl!

You're probably away at the assessment right now, but I wanted to welcome you and say "well done" on deciding to take action.

We can all relate to the waste of time, health and sanity that alcohol causes and the lack of control over it. Treatment is a wonderful thing and will give you a great head start in sobriety, so go for it if you can.

It's hard to imagine in the beginning, but life can be really good again.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Expect sobriety and keep an open mind. Follow directions.

Rooting for you to stay stopped!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi

Originally Posted by jamesgirl View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to sobriety. I have allowed alcohol to consume me and have been watching my life go down the drain. I have wasted so much time, money, health, and quality of life for the sake of drinking.

After getting up this morning horribly hung over and going through the "I can't live like this one more day" self-berating, I decided to get help. It might sound odd, but I realized I don't know how to stop. I did some research and understand that I need medical help because I get the shakes really bad when I don't drink.

So, I made an appointment at a treatment center tonight at 9:00 for an evaluation. I admitted the depth of my addiction to my boyfriend, who of course knew it but was smart enough not to mention it. I've poured out everything that I didn't drink last night, and I'm watching the clock until my appointment.

Does anyone have advice or experience to share for a brand-new-newbie regarding quitting and/or treatment? What can I expect? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!!!!
hi my names mark and i am new to, all the best
Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

just be honest and make a commitment to follow through, no matter what. the people there will help. i have been through inpatient before and never followed through on outpatient groups. i either quit or didn't go. i always ended up drinking again with worse consequences because i felt like a failure.

this time i actually completed all phases. i admitted i had a lapse and am now doing an outpatient group again. i know i wouldn't have made it this far out of the hole i got into if i didn't compete the programs and develop a good relationship with my therapist. boyfriends and family alone can't keep you clean.

you have a great opportunity awaiting you. a good treatment program can be a rock through the rough times. it has been for me! i don't know where i'd be without the guidance and support of my therapist and the option to go back through and get it right. the way it was explained to me was "you can be here as long as you need to."

congrats on your decision, i wish you the best. be honest, make a commitment to follow through, and take suggestions. life can only get better!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!

My brief advice, based upon my experiences.

1. See a Doctor to help you with the withdrawal symptoms . . . you are already doing that.
2. Develop a program of recovery and be specific. Don't just say you are going to quit drinking. For example, my program includes SR, AA, and regular physical exercise along with a bunch of miscellaneous do's and don'ts.
3. Take it one day at a time. Don't let the past (in the form of resentments and guilt) or the future (in the form of worry and anxiety) consume you. You can't change the past and you don't even know if there will be a tomorrow, today is all you got, Carpe diem.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lots of good advice here. Definately get into some kind of support group. If you go into treatment they will show you how to do that. I go to AA meetings and have a sponser. They have been life savers for me. SR is also a huge part of my recovery. You can do this. It is hard the first few weeks, but well worth it. Hang in there.
God bless.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamesgirl View Post
What can I expect?
Expect the kind community here to help you on your journey.

Congrats on telling your b/f and scheduling the appointment tonight. And welcome to SR jamesgirl!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
HappyHeartJoy

Hi Jamesgirl, you have already shown great courage admitting your problem to yourself and sharing this with your partner (for me home support is vital to my recovery). My husband suspected I had a problem with drinking but he never knew about my never ending supply of Vodka sitting my drawer until I told him. I hope your assessment goes well for you and the next steps to your journey to sobriety are driven by that same courage you have shown today by asking for help.
I am on day 11, I hope we could be a support to each other.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Jamesgirl,

Good on you for pouring the booze down the sink and seeking professional help. The boyfriend sounds nice and supportive.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HappyHeartJoy View Post
Hi Jamesgirl, you have already shown great courage admitting your problem to yourself and sharing this with your partner (for me home support is vital to my recovery). My husband suspected I had a problem with drinking but he never knew about my never ending supply of Vodka sitting my drawer until I told him. I hope your assessment goes well for you and the next steps to your journey to sobriety are driven by that same courage you have shown today by asking for help.
I am on day 11, I hope we could be a support to each other.
HappyHeartJoy, just a quick question. Are you still having any alcohol withdrawals? I'm on day 8 and still going through some, though not terrible.

And congratulations on this first step, Jamesgirl! Is this treatment center inpatient? I tried this about a year ago and it helped tremendously. But at the time I wasn't doing it entirely for myself and ended up leaving. You have to be doing it for yourself and for nobody else or it won't work. Best of luck to you and keep an open mind. If you truly want to quit, you'll have to swallow your pride, follow all their rules, and keep an open mind. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
MINEr

My withdrawals lasted about two weeks, though I was hospitalized and medicated for the first ten days of it. The Post Acute Withdrawals can last up to a year, there is a thread on them somewhere around here. To the OP, good for you on taking that first step, my advice would be to be brutally honest about everything and do what the professionals tell you to. Someone else posted about a recovery program, and that is key. I do an outpatient through Kaiser, AA, SR, and tons of recovery reading. Good luck!!!

camedown
Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
HappyHeartJoy

Hi Xyphen, I was pretty lucky with withdrawals, I guess everyone's experience will be different. I had been drinking at least half a litre of vodka every night. I experienced constant sweating for the first 7 days and a massive headache for days 7-10. Today has been my best day yet. Congrats on day 8 it is a great feeling isn't it?

Jamesgirl it really does get better. Keep us posted, we are here for you.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HappyHeartJoy View Post
Hi Xyphen, I was pretty lucky with withdrawals, I guess everyone's experience will be different. I had been drinking at least half a litre of vodka every night. I experienced constant sweating for the first 7 days and a massive headache for days 7-10. Today has been my best day yet. Congrats on day 8 it is a great feeling isn't it?

Jamesgirl it really does get better. Keep us posted, we are here for you.
Thanks, HappyHeartJoy. Did you have any anxiety as well? And did your doctor put you on any meds? I've got a benzo and a beta blocker but I'm only taking 1/2 doses. I don't want to replace alcohol with these then have to deal with benzo withdrawals. They do work though. I'm going to try tapering off them after a few days. What do you think?

And yeah Jamesgirl, keep us posted. It helps a lot to keep track of your recovery and on SR you have people to support you the whole way through.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
HappyHeartJoy

Originally Posted by Xyphen View Post
Thanks, HappyHeartJoy. Did you have any anxiety as well? And did your doctor put you on any meds? I've got a benzo and a beta blocker but I'm only taking 1/2 doses. I don't want to replace alcohol with these then have to deal with benzo withdrawals. They do work though. I'm going to try tapering off them after a few days. What do you think?

And yeah Jamesgirl, keep us posted. It helps a lot to keep track of your recovery and on SR you have people to support you the whole way through.
Xyphen, I didn't have any meds prescribed for quitting but I am on a low dose of anti depressants. If you are thinking of tapering off your meds, see your doctor and do it under some expert guidance. Good luck and don't give up.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How did the appointment go Jamesgirl?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Update - Day Two

Well, I have to admit I was disheartened with the appointment, but I have been SO strenghthened by the support I have already received here!

I went to the treatment center and was assessed by a Social Worker. She asked a million questions, took my BP, temp, breathalyzer, and pulse. She stepped out for a half hour and "consulted" with "the doctor", and came back and said that I should be okay, and they recommended IOP (intensive outpatient). If I got worse (suicidal ideation or withdrawal), they would consider inpatient.

They gave me information on the IOP, but nothing within the materials was encouraging or helpful. The IOP info was about rules: not fraternizing with the other patients, what not to bring, alcohol use, being on time, etc. Not a drop of education or support. Hmmm...

Physically, I'm doing okay. I feel very mentally dull and just want to sleep, but toss and turn when I lay down. My stomach is cramping really bad and I'm nauseated. Lots of anxiety but thank God, no tremors or seizures.

With all of this information in consideration, I'm seriously wondering if I should back out of the IOP and instead immerse myself in AA meetings. I think I need education, accountability, and relationship, and I did not get a warm fuzzy from the intake experience or IOP materials.

Thanks again for the support and would love your (non-medical of course) advice!!!!!