Notices

Sleeping a lot

Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleeping a lot

Since quitting two weeks ago, I feel tired all day. I am sleeping 10hours a night and taking naps on weekends. Is this usual after giving up an addiction? If this is me avoiding my drinking problem by sleeping instead. This is not healthy - I realize that, but do you think it is okay since it is so early in recovery? Thanks in advance for opinions.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It could be many things, but you might check things out with your dr if it continues. Of course, your body needs to recover and you might be sleeping to avoid 'real life', but it could be something else too.

Congratulations on your two weeks sober!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi gettingstarted,

I am at 17 days and have been experiencing the same thing. I have needed a lot of sleep. Fortunately I have been in a position to allow for that.

I figure it is my mind and my body needing rest. I don't feel ill otherwise, so why worry about my need to sleep?

Of course, if this continues down the road, I would want to look at it.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I slept a lot the first month or so. I honestly didn't know what to do with my time...it started to change slowly...which I think is good, don't rush yourself or your recovery.

Also, remember, sleep is healing and your body needs lots of that
Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I sleep alot also. I have always liked to sleep. And I'll admit, many times it is to "avoid" life. I get really tired when I'm having a bout with depression .
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i sleep a lot too. it comes and goes, but more so when i am under stress. i am working on this and hope that as i find new ways to structure my time i will have less of a need to sleep it all away.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I sleep a lot too and I am on day 34. It takes time to heal. I listen to my body and try to avoid being "too tired" as that is a big trigger for me. I am also practicing patience and figure this will resolve over time. My biggest priority is to take care of myself and not drink.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love that I can sleep now so I do it as much as I can! LOL It's not to escape I'm just so happy. If that makes any sense. I think I'm making up for lost time. I view it as getting over years of an illness. Don't over think it.