Notices

Day 2

Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hi everyone. Today is day two of not drinking. I've been on a 2 week beer bender. Just in the afternoon and night but so ready to stop. Took a Librium late last night for anxiety mainly and shakey mind. Any advice or help with what to expect and when to expect to feel normal again would be greatly appreciated. I've done this a hundred times and should know but I need some support. Thank u all
Old 12-27-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Gile - I can't really give you too much advice since I am still drinking and will begin Day 1 tomorrow. But I know the anxiety is normal...
The several times that I quit drinking in the past I was extremely tired, anxious, irritable and such...it definitely went away after about a week or so.
Congrats on Day 2. Keep going. It will only get better. Alcohol is poison. It just makes you go backwards. I hate it.

All the best!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Gile,

How long does it usually take you to feel better? Everyone's body is different. If you start to get really sick, please go to the Dr for help. I had a seizure when I was detoxing for the last time. I hope you make this is your last day 2!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank u bayliss. Good luck with yours too. Let's keep in touch during sobriety
Old 12-27-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gile4551

I think seeing a Dr is always a good idea - it's certainly the safest option

It's impossible to answer your question tho - withdrawal is often so unpredictable - we do have a thread where our members have shared their experiences tho...hope its useful to you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

welcome to SR
D
Old 12-27-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Gile. After heavy drinking for two weeks you may want to consult your doctor to be on the safe side.

Glad you're here.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Gile. I remember all too well how horrible it was to come down off a binge like that. Glad you have wised up & are on the right path. Just think - you never have to go through this, ever again.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Gile. Lots of good advice here. Keep reading and posting. Wishing you the best.
God bless.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Gile and welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you've made the choice to get sober... Keep going, and treat yourself with some TLC. Get help if you need to.

Day 2 was the worst for me. I hope you start feeling better soon. Staying close to this forum can be a huge help in getting through those first days.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Welcoming day 3 sober tomorrow and clinging to these posts and responses. Thank y'all
Old 12-28-2011, 03:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 4 for me, and fyi I'm certainly feeling better than day 2.

Gambatte kudasai Gile4551, which means good luck!
Old 12-28-2011, 03:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Every day you stay sober you are one day further away from the pain of active alcoholism. When I was counting days, I was so eager to stop feeling hung over, to start participating in my life, I held on to those things. Every day was clearer than the last. Every day is a struggle ~ But thats life! I never wanted to live life before. I wanted to go from feeling to feeling, without having to feel anything in between. That made my life unmanageable and destroyed me spiritually. Day 2 is a beautiful place to be. You have made the choice to cherish yourself, to treat yourself with love & respect. Hold on to the fact that you never have to drink again. And the pain that life gives you in the future...its coming whether your drink or not. I used to believe alcohol was my one and only fortune. That I deserved it. Life had taken away everything that mattered to me, so I needed my drink. This is the deception of alcoholism. I was taking my natural landscape and constructing obstacles out of it. Jump head first into sobriety. Get a sponsor, get a service commitment, go to meetings, call other alcoholics, keep coming on here. You are a miracle. I don't say that lightly. There is no good reason for any of us to be sober. Think about it. Love to you, and congratulations on your days.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
There is no good reason for any of us to be sober.
Hmmm....I like that.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for the support. its now day 3 of no drinking. a little bit of my past. i quit before for 7 months then went back to casual drinking, 3 nights a week. basically about 8 light beers. i work in a bar and can drink during work and have nothing to do during the days. so i could lay in bed till noon then wait till 7pm before drinking. i was never a morning drinker but through the holidays i started drinking beer around 3/4 o'clock till 2 am. around 10-11 beers usually and this lasted for almost two weeks. so it won't be a huge withdrawal i don't think this time. but its day 3 and it certainly hasn't been easy or fun. even with an old librium prescription left over from last years binge. i took one librium at midnight during day one and one around 7pm on day two. i have 3 left but don't want to rely on them anymore. rather do it naturally if possible. my girlfriend is quitting as well. she drank almost as much as i did. we are excited to do this together. going to start aa meetings tomorrow. i've been to many of them in the past and been to rehab once earlier this year but had to leave after 4 days, and had some pretty good alcohol therapy in the past. so i have a few basic tools to know how to STAY sober this time. support together with my girlfriend and aa meetings weekly hopefully will do it this time. i'm 36 now. i've been robbed from so much of the beauty of life and this world that i'm excited at the chance to now experience some of what i feel i have missed.
thank you to everyone
gile4551
Old 12-28-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

friday and saturday will be scary but not as scary as waking up and starting all this over again....