Notices

Sober, Single and Pregnant

Old 12-26-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober, Single and Pregnant

Good Afternoon Folks!

I just learned I am 13 weeks pregnant. I am sober, 48, single and freaking out a little. I am a retired US Army Colonel - I've been to Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan and this is the most terrifying I have ever had to embrace. I've struggled with sobriety the last 2 years. I am most recently 74 days days.

Is there a support group for sober pregnant women?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm going to hazard a guess that almost all pregnant women are sober. Here's a good group to talk with others.

Support Groups for Pregnant Women

It's funny, but typically horrible drunks that can't even put a few weeks together are able to coast the whole time when pregnant before going back to the usual.

Might be the right time to hang out with some non-pregnant sober folk to find out how they do it on the natch.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR, sobersloan.

Congratulations on 74 days sobriety, btw. What a great start!

This is a good place for support and information about sobriety, perhaps not so much about pregnancy. I've read several posts by women talking about how they stayed sober during pregnancy, but apparently slipped back into old patterns after the birth of the child.

Perhaps this is a really good time for you to do some inner "work" around your drinking, to help you stay sober after your pregnancy.

Btw, congratulations also on the pregnancy! I am close to you in age, and I know that a pregnancy at this point in my life would freak me out, sober or not.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

SS,
Welcome to the SR forums! Retired AF here 27 years. Pregnant or not you came to the right place for support. I can imagine how you must feel at this point but being a male not quite. If you have just retired I would check with both the local TriCare office and see what they cover, and the VA if you have a local VA hospital or clinic. I doubt you are going to find any addicted pregnant mother near your age or addicted, most of them are going to be in the teens and 20's. One thing I did regret was not claiming my alcoholism when i was eval'd for retirement. However I did an in hospital Detox at the local VA Hosp And then some follow on counseling. There are more resources for you than most. As a retired senior leader, once you get past the asking for help you should be OK. After all the career no longer is hanging in the balance. Hope you can pull it all together for yourself with a little help from the folks here. We'll be here for you.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR sobersloan - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 12-26-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Sloan!

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and your sober time!

Thanks for serving your country too

Getting support is a great place to start. For me the SR community was the right fit. Some need face to face support and most go to AA for that.

For me, getting and more importantly staying sober required I do some work on myself...fix some of the areas that were messed up and which made the bottle appealing.

SR is probably the most open minded support group you will ever find...hope you join us
Old 12-26-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Hi Soberslaon! Welcome to SR.

I too am sober, single, and pregnant. I am 20 weeks and would love to talk about anything. Sending you a pm
Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good morning -

I can't believe the outpouring of support. I appreciate it so very much. I woke up with the inexplicable urge to have a drink. I found the chat room and talked my way out of it ;-) Couple of years ago when I was in Iraq I had to have my elbow completely rebuilt. This morning is a painful day and I would self-medicate with ETOH. Now that I am pregnant, no OTC pain killers and definitely no Rx painkillers. Maybe it will snow....

I would like to post and thank you individually, but apparently I am required to post 5 times. Patience was never my best suit.

THANK YOU!!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Not single, not pregnant, but I am sober. I understand your struggle. Stay strong.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and so glad that you made the decision to take care of yourself and your baby. You are doing the best thing for both of you.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome and thank you for serving our country. You can do this. Tons of support here. Wishing you the best. God bless.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congrats on 74 days sober and your pregnancy. I am single parent and sober. It can be done but you need a support system. I will pm you
Old 12-27-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on your pregnancy, and 74 days sober!

I'm not single, but I am 22 weeks pregnant and sober. I'm working as hard as I can to fix my "issues" so that I don't go back to drinking after this baby comes.

I think it's pretty easy to stay sober while pregnant (and most alcoholics do it pretty easily) but the hard part is staying sober after the baby comes. It's easy to start thinking "I could have just one drink"... and we all know where the leads.

Welcome to SR!