Notices

New here

Old 12-25-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

And newish to sobriety--I have just over 9 months. My life is awesome sober, but I'm finding myself at loose ends today. Had a very nice day with my family, came home and in the past I would finally be time to drink. Even though I don't want to drink, I can't seem to find any activity that is soothing me. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Jboxer - you'll find a lot of understanding and support here

D
Old 12-25-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

You definitely came to the right place Congrats on 9 months btw!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Wow....9 months is an amazing accomplishment to me. Perhaps finding a solitary, relaxing past time would help. Play with watercolors, music, reading....watercolors is especially fun because it's not an exact art and if you don't like it, crumple it up, have a laugh and start again. It's cheap! Color outside the lines and giggle about it. When I was in lockdown in detox (was locked down in a psych ward for 4 days) the most coveted items were the markers and coloring books. And that was among adults! It was like cigarettes in prison! Having that fun, flippant pasttime was very soothing.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Jboxer and congrats on your 9 months!

I was about 8 months sober last year when the holidays came around. While I felt strong in my recovery and the cravings were starting to fade, my first Christmas sober wasn't as uplifting as I thought it might be. I felt quite moody and a little sad off and on for a week or two. Never did find any explanation for it, other than that there's a kind of build-up and let-down (and more stress) this time of year, but it could have been something else entirely. This year (the 2nd sober) I had none of the mood swings - it's been wonderful.

Just my experience, but I do think we go through times when things just seem "off" and whether it's related to our drinking, or just happens to be the way life is, it sure beats where we were. "This too shall pass" always helps me, too.

Glad you're here!
Old 12-25-2011, 11:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey, congrats on the 9 months. i find a hot shower or bath to be a good distraction. it's also very soothing.

i'm finding that caring for myself on a basic level really helps. laying in a clean bed, with clean clothes, having a snack, letting myself feel however i feel without judgement - especially when i want to be drunk or high and i feel sad or anxious or out of sorts.
i've been trying to consciously do this, and "observe" my feelings without investing too much in wondering what it means or dwelling on how unpleasant it is. funny, the less i struggle against my bad feelings, the sooner they go away.

keep trying things. for me it's movies, baths, and showers. it's hard to get started, but it works when i do it.