How Do I Bring In The New Year?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Do I Bring In The New Year?

I hope everyone has had a great Christmas and will continue to have a good rest of the year.

I realized today that I pray more for the people I worry and love more than I do for myself, always on Christmas. I pray for myself to know how to handle everything and for strength on getting past it all. Since my break up (earlier this week) it seems like I'm praying for my addict ex-bf and his parents around the clock.

Also, I find that I have no one to spend New Years with since my ex and my family will be gone during that time. The few friends I have will be getting trashed seeing as it's New Years and all, which is cool for them, but I'd rather not get trashed this year and have a quiet New Years. I'm just wondering how I should go about how to spend my New Years? How do I start a new year with a new start while being alone? Is it a good thing to be alone so I can focus more on myself and know more of what I want in the new year?

I know it's just a day to start the new year to, but my ex and I were going to do that together but now we can't really do that. We wanted to have a fresh start together for not just our relationship, but for his sobriety.

How should I handle going into the New Year?

Advice please.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panda13 View Post
How do I start a new year with a new start while being alone?
Learn to be your own best friend. Develop a relationship with yourself. Whether it's watching a movie at home, going out to one, reading a book, listening/dancing to music, whatever floats your boat (bubble bath?).

I personally like to connect with my Higher Power at the stroke of midnight
Old 12-26-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree with Chino that this is a wonderful opportunity to learn to find your own happiness without looking for it in anyone else. You alone hold the key, so unlock that door and treat yourself to an "all about you" New Years Eve.

Maybe some fine dining take-out, and magnificent snacks for later, a good book or funny movie (no sad or downer movies allowed), maybe making a list of "all about you" dreams for the next year where you list at least 12 fabulous things you will do for yourself this coming year. Also, check your area and you may find that there are Al-anon, Nar-anon or CoDA meetings that are good and maybe go for a coffee afterwards.

There are so many things to do that don't cost a fortune and that may bring you special joy. Let us know how you make out.

Hugs
Old 12-26-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My city has all day/evening Alanon/AA meetings New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. It's a given that holidays can trigger emotions in us. Since Atlanta is bigger than my city I'm betting that they have something similar.

If you go - you will be surrounded by people that have similar issues and struggles. And I've yet to have gone to a meeting and not received "experience, strength, and hope".

Hang in there.......
Old 12-26-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My kids and I celebrate NYE by eating nothing but junky appetizers for dinner - chicken wings, pizza rolls, etc. Then we lay down for a short nap so we can be up at midnight without being crabby! We all get up about 11:00 and have root beer floats and ice cream sundaes while watching the musical acts on TV. Then at midnight we go out on the patio and make as much noise as we can!!!

I have never been a drinker or really gone out on NYE so I don't suffer from the feeling I'm missing anything. There are so many drunks out there rollicking around on the roads that I feel better just staying home.

Is there anything where you ever said "Wow - I wish I had the time for that..." Something like trying a new haircolor? Or cosmic bowling (might try that this year if the roads look safe)? Eat what you like the way you like it - and you don't have to share with anyone! Have a dance party! Do WHATEVER you want - you have the luxury of choice since you don't have to consult with anyone! And you don't have to conform to society's expectation of what NYE is like - LOTS of people do their own thing on NYE. It's not all like the last scene of "When Harry Met Sally...."

Also, keep in mind that many cultures don't follow a Gregorian calendar. Pagans, traditional Chinese - nobody says you have to celebrate the New Year just cause its on TV. Start your year whenever you like.