Notices

Presents are drink related.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Presents are drink related.

Abruptly, I decided to become sober about 3 weeks ago. Today several ppl got me a bottle and shot glasses , wine. Martini glasses, bottle toppers.

I accepted it as if I loved the gifts. Didn't tell anyone that I had decided to stop drinking.

It makes me realize just how big drinking had become in my life. If ppl that I don't visit that often give me these things then wow.

I am super happy and satisfied to be sober this Christmas and so is my wife.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hear your annoyance with what you received, I received something from my roommate today that keeps beer bottles cold.. Yet I've been open with everyone about my sobriety so oh well, I'll just re-gift it tomorrow to my brother.

The reason I post the above is because I think when you've been an alcoholic for a lot of years, I think people start to think "what does he/she really like?" - Alcohol tops a lot of older people's lists. By the way, when I say "older people", I'm talking about 21+ years old, drinking age.

You're strong enough to roll your eyes and move on, that is so very nice to see. If you cannot re-gift them, I'd toss them. While it's a kind gesture to receive a gift from someone else, it does feel like a slap in the face but this kind of stuff only makes us stronger and realize how big of a role alcohol plays in peoples lives.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

That's gotta be tough. Yeah, it's only when we realize how low we've gotten that we can pick ourselves up. I suggest pouring them out/destroying them/burning them -- whatever cathartic release will help you feel victorious over alcohol.