Notices

Sad Christmas Story

Old 12-24-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sad Christmas Story

Talked to my parents today...they are ok...I am ok...this is not where the sad story lies. It is a neighbor. Just an anonymous soul trying to live life on a daily basis...but now in jail for 6 months.
This is a neighbor lady of my parents. She had a husband a few months back. Both alocholics. They didn't have the best relationship. Numerous fights...very loud boisterous people. Not ideal neighbors.
They both have a history of 'getting caught'. He would knock on people's doors asking for change to buy beer.
One story goes, he was at a dog park of all places and was noticabley drinking. Someone called 911 on him, since he was there with his car and stumbling around with his dogs. He was taken to jail because of numerous situations (DUI's) with booze. He gets out after 4 months on good behavior.
They had people helping with repairs at their house and he climbed under the deck to show them something. He had a heart attack and died right there on the spot...under the deck...in the dirt.
Now, she is living in this house...alone. Noticabley getting more ill, more thin and frail since his death, as the days pass. She has no food, and since (Hurricane)Irene passed thru the basement is trashed but she can't afford help to clean it up. God only knows what the house smells like with 2 dogs, 2 cats -and her in jail. The next door neighbors help with her animals. She can't drive. BUT decides to drive anyway, hence, why she's in jail.
She is on the borderline of parkinsons but can't take meds because she isn't sober enough. She can not drink while taking the meds she needs to.
It's just sad that all these situations they have caused themselves revolve around drinking.
Just a friendly sobering reminder of how booze can affect our lives, loved ones, health and day to day living -and your neighborhood. It's just not worth it.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sad story but has a good reminder what alcohol does to people. Situations are preventable, but it's hard to prevent something from happening when you're only destroying your body with alcohol and doing nothing about it.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

There but for the grace of God go I.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So sorry to hear that, Emerald. We have so much to be grateful for in sobriety, for sure.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The results of not seeking help and doing something about it....Sad...But way to common. Just makes me grateful for where I am right now.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

So sad. A friend of mine's good friend's father died from complications due to alcohol. I never knew the man but to see how it effected my friend hurt my heart and reminded me of how far reaching this disease is. Several times I have laid down next to my husband and feared that he would wake up the next morning to a dead wife. Pardon the pun, but these stories are sobering ones. Value yourself. Someone else does.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There must be so many people like this out there. It breaks my heart.
prayers for this woman and thank you (((ER)))

D
Old 12-25-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know a 39 year old woman that drank a 5th of vodka a day for 15 years. She had a seizure, fell and busted her head open. She has been in the hospital for a month and is still confused. She asks every 20 minutes for pain medication. (no obvious physical injuries) She still makes statements about wanting vodka. She has alcohol dementia. Her liver is toast. My guess is that she will never be in her right mind again. She has a small child at home. It breaks my heart to see what this addiction has done to this poor girl. She is younger then me. Quite frequently I say to myself "this could be me if I continue". So young, so much to live for. Makes you think.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is sad that we have to use other people's "failures" to realize and appreciate the blessings we have.

And as the conversation went with my Dad -he said "I want to ask your opinion". I said "Noooo, I wouldn't go". He said, "How did you know what I was gonna ask?"

Seems this lady had sent them a christmas card asking for them to visit her. I told my Dad that they have no obligations with these people except for the fact that they are neighbors and she needs to seek out visitors that will benefit her recovery. She doesn't need an 85 year old couple that can only listen and feel sorry for her...she NEEDS alittle tough love and someone to kick her in the arse.
My Dad agreed and really didn't feel comfortable going. It really isn't his responsibility to have to go. She is looking for 'comforting souls'. One's that will hug her and say it's ok. It is NOT ok...you need help now.
Well, it just bothers me because they feel, as pillars in the community, that they need to 'be there' for everyone.
I'm also afraid she will start asking for money!

Well, Merry Christmas everyone. I am just so thankful every day that I can see the web I had woven and had the strength to stop in time. It IS very sobering...and helps keep me there.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
Talked to my parents today...they are ok...I am ok...this is not where the sad story lies. It is a neighbor. Just an anonymous soul trying to live life on a daily basis...but now in jail for 6 months.
This is a neighbor lady of my parents. She had a husband a few months back. Both alocholics. They didn't have the best relationship. Numerous fights...very loud boisterous people. Not ideal neighbors.
They both have a history of 'getting caught'. He would knock on people's doors asking for change to buy beer.
One story goes, he was at a dog park of all places and was noticabley drinking. Someone called 911 on him, since he was there with his car and stumbling around with his dogs. He was taken to jail because of numerous situations (DUI's) with booze. He gets out after 4 months on good behavior.
They had people helping with repairs at their house and he climbed under the deck to show them something. He had a heart attack and died right there on the spot...under the deck...in the dirt.
Now, she is living in this house...alone. Noticabley getting more ill, more thin and frail since his death, as the days pass. She has no food, and since (Hurricane)Irene passed thru the basement is trashed but she can't afford help to clean it up. God only knows what the house smells like with 2 dogs, 2 cats -and her in jail. The next door neighbors help with her animals. She can't drive. BUT decides to drive anyway, hence, why she's in jail.
She is on the borderline of parkinsons but can't take meds because she isn't sober enough. She can not drink while taking the meds she needs to.
It's just sad that all these situations they have caused themselves revolve around drinking.
Just a friendly sobering reminder of how booze can affect our lives, loved ones, health and day to day living -and your neighborhood. It's just not worth it.
Thank you for sharing this story..Stories like these remind me of why I want and NEED to be sober. As the years pass this gets progressively worse, so I am living in a dream world if I think this disease won't kill me.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Powerful - and very sad story.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Value yourself. Someone else does.
Quoted for truth. I am so blessed to have people in my life who love and care about me. Getting sober was the smartest and best move I've made in my life in a looong time.

-L