Notices

Christmas Blues

Old 12-24-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Christmas Blues

I have been clean for close to 7 months and this Christmas has been especially tough. Is anybody else having a hard time today? Any words of encouragement would be helpful.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by FlyingRight View Post
I have been clean for close to 7 months and this Christmas has been especially tough. Is anybody else having a hard time today? Any words of encouragement would be helpful.
Hi Flying,

I'm having a rough day also...Its been pretty lonely, but if you read my previous post, I relapsed 4 months ago. Im trying to really relax tonight and just take care of myself..regain my strength. I still feel a little out of it from drinking like crazy all week, so I need to gain some balance again.

Im cooking a delicious meal and going to maybe relax with a movie later.

I'm right here with ya
Old 12-24-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your recovery, FlyingRight!

I'm sorry that you're feeling down. Christmas is an emotional time for many people, but know that there will always be someone here at SR if you want to talk.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi FR!

Thanks for posting! I am not having problems this Christmas but am a bit further along than you are. I felt much better by six months but at a year plus sober very much more comfortable in my own skin, 100% more. The mind and lifestyle changes I am still getting better at. You will too.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support guys. It's nice to know that I am not alone.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm like Itchy - further along, so I've dealt with it for a few years. I remember the first sober one, though. I cried & was sorry for myself. I couldn't have "fun" like everyone else. Back then, I still thought I was missing out - as if something had been lost, rather than gained.

I think the first year after we've quit has many hurdles. Holidays, birthdays, vacations, the change of seasons - all loaded with triggers. I know you read it all the time on here, but it does get much easier as you go along. I look back at my drunken holidays and wish I could go back & experience them clear headed, not numb and in a fog. You're doing great, FlyingRight - be proud - and know that it won't always feel this way.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey alone? Man there are more people recovering than any of us will every know. And don't forget you have chat here too!

Hevyn,
Thanks for the roadmap of what is ahead. I am doing more than fine however as I felt I survived not deprived from the day I completed my in hospital detox. I just needed the chance and a head start. Luv your pups, mine are on my profile too.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I've got 23 years of sobriety behind me but I'm finding it a bit tough too this year Not that I'm tempted to drink. It's the lonely feeling, the fact that the children are not here. My one son is out in Minnesota and the other son down in New York. We have a grandchild up here in Massachusetts. She lives with my son's ex wife and we haven't received a card or phone call from her or from our granddaughter. Not that she's angry with us, just that she's so possessive that she doesn't want to share her child with us. So we don't see them much. So we're here with the dog. And the dog supplies all the love. He's very good at that. If you want love then get a dog. Thats what Harry Truman used to say. Old Harry knew a thing or two.
I hope we can make it to 2012 as soon as possible. It's like a holiday hump in the road. And even worse for folks who might be tempted to drink. I know that if I started to do that I'd be spending New Years Day in the detox unit. No way to ring in the New Year.
Anyway, every good wish to all of you out there. Hang in there. If you do it's going to get better. It sure is not easy but there's a lot of sunlight at the top of the hill.

W. :day6
Old 12-24-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm pretty much at the end of my first year of sobriety. I've been thru most of everything once now -except Christmas, My Birthday, New Years. In that order. The last week of the year was always a doozy for me. But I'm quietly relaxing in my new apt. after a full days work -with my dog. Although I believe there's a difference between being alone and being lonely -I'd certainly be both without him. He is hairy awesomeness.

I think holidays and seasons do cause triggers for some but don't think of what you did -think of what you need to do. Look ahead to the 'other' side. The positive side.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Christmas is rough. Personally, there isn't much drama in my families but there's a lot of wine and alcohol. Personally, I try to keep in mind that I am actually more comfortable sober. No need to watch how much I drink or worry about drinking to excess and making a drunk fool out of myself. It's one less thing to worry about.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is my second xman sober. And its still tough at times. Some moments I just want to drink so bad its scary. But I get busy doing something....remembering the HALT......hungery? aggrivated? lonely? or just tired? If I feel like drinking bad its normaly because of one or more of the above....Sometimes I just start talking to God out loud, telling him how I feel, and to take it away....and just try to relax and think about good things....the depression I deal with doesn't help as well. But I just take it one moment at a time if a day is too much at that time.....keep in touch we all have to help eachother. Cause we know how it is better than others what we deal with day to day....I find much comfort on this site.....knowing this is part of my family, who understands, and feels my pain, and joy..."put your hand and mine, and we WILL make it together....not alone.