Notices

Sober day 1 tomorrow maybe

Old 12-23-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober day 1 tomorrow maybe

Thinking of quitting again and having my first sober day be tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, you won't quit drinking until that is what you want more than anything. You have a decision to make. You can do it, but only if it's what you truly want, and are willing to do whatever it takes to make it so. It's all up to you.

We'll be here to support you if you do decide that you want to live a sober life. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks- to clarify- quitting smoking weed, not drinking. ( I may have posted this in the wrong area of the forum- not sure)
And I have two (or more) other threads already on here with tons of very helpful support and info-
But none the less I am still looking ahead to day one possibly, and hopefully.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I quit weed, 4 days later my alcohol. you can stay stopped & be morre healthy when you choose! best wishes!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I quit smoking weed 5 days ago. It's rough, but you can do it. Hopefully you will find the support that you need.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks!!! I think I am ready- I really f%^&ing hope so!! Here I go again--!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Write a note to yourself while you're so motivated. Keep it on you and read it when you're tempted as a reminder as to why you want to quit. I have my 24 hour coin and my coin that I received from rehab in my pocket at all times. When I feel tempted during the day, I just feel them through my pocket as a physical reminder that my sobriety is more important than indulging my desire to drink. It sounds silly, but we need to be strongly reminded why we're quitting as our judgment is often very clouded when in the middle of temptation. Good luck and believe in your own inner strength. If we can do it, you can.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Finally threw it all away again last night
ready to change- day one again now- about 2 wks after Iposted that last entry- in which I was high the entire time-- treading water- so here I am on day one again- comitted anew and stuff gone. here I go . . .. looking forward to feeling good some day perhaps
Old 12-30-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

day two - sort of. 2 nights ago I flushed a big bag of mj down the toilet for the countless time after reaching a zombie like reidiculous state and being so disgusted w- myself.
So yestserday was day 1. I did okay except halfway through the day I got a wicked craving a picked up little green bits off the carpet and scraped together 1 sort of quasai hit and smoked it- but I don't know if there was even a hit there. then I fell asleep at about 4pm in the afternoon and slept mostly through till this morning! I did dream a little which I don't when I am high.
this morning I woke up grumpy and agitated and snapping at my husband
I am one inch away from contacting my dealer but I am gonna try to get through this. I would like to ring in 2012 sober at least a couple of days.
I feel crappy! It feels like a huge hurdle to deal with this every day ongoing but I hope I can.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Windytown4 View Post
I got a wicked craving a picked up little green bits off the carpet and scraped together 1 sort of quasai hit and smoked it- but I don't know if there was even a hit there.
That so reminds me of my addict behaviour...picking dope crumbs off the floor, scraping pipes for a hit, and the mooching for a high. Hated it. Hated myself. I am so glad those days are over.

They can be over for you...stay strong.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

day two - sort of. 2 nights ago I flushed a big bag of mj down the toilet for the countless time after reaching a zombie like reidiculous state and being so disgusted w- myself.
So yestserday was day 1. I did okay except halfway through the day I got a wicked craving a picked up little green bits off the carpet and scraped together 1 sort of quasai hit and smoked it- but I don't know if there was even a hit there. then I fell asleep at about 4pm in the afternoon and slept mostly through till this morning! I did dream a little which I don't when I am high.
this morning I woke up grumpy and agitated and snapping at my husband
I am one inch away from contacting my dealer but I am gonna try to get through this. I would like to ring in 2012 sober at least a couple of days.
I feel crappy! It feels like a huge hurdle to deal with this every day ongoing but I hope I can.
I drank and drugged for over 30 years because I wanted to feel GOOD...and I didn't know any other way to do it. But eventually the consequences caught up with me and the pain and misery of getting clean and sober was finally the "softer easier path." But it was the hardest thing I ever did, and I'd never have made it without lots of help. I just always wanted to feel good, and my brain will NEVER forget that I can do that instantly with a joint, pill or fix.

THERE IS NO TOMORROW. If you don't stop today, all the good intentions are dust. The fantasies of tomorrow and the remorses of the past all belong to my addiction. The clean and sober me only has to deal with the present. I strongly recommend "The Power of Now," by Eckhart Tolle. I couldn't put the book down.

blessings
zb
Old 12-30-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

another fail
oh man I am having a hard time letting go of smoking pot!
I think I need outside help.
I really don't want to go to n/a or anything- it just does not appeal to me and I don't feel I have the energy to go there.
but maybe a one on one therapist could help. I am so immersed in my addiction because I have been smoking since age 14 and am now 38. I know it is simply saying no over and over and will power but I get so freaked out and scared and weak I run right back into my comfortably numb haze. right back. I lasted one day and only sort of.
I think one problem I have is I think it will be easy once I quit! I try to minimize it- I say- oh well, I want to stop so I will. but it actually feels like this HUGE thing to do- and I need some support
do you all think seeing a therapist once a week would help me do this?

I want to be out from under this giant addiction but I have been trying for YEARS and I think I need a new approach. feeling ashamed.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think seeing a therapist could be helpful, but there really is no easy answer. Getting sober is hard, and it takes a lot of motivation. I think you should do whatever works for you and take action. Get rid of your dealer's phone number and block his calls.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Anna- thanks-
I think I somehow have to recognize how really hard it is and let that help me to follow through. I don't know!
I really don't know if there is any method that will work for me other than sheer power of will.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I might be willing to go to a marajunan anonymous meeting but I checked and there are none near me or even close.
Well, I will call a therapist and set up an appointment. I am newly stocked and I thought throwing it away would be a good start (before I got newly stocked) but I think I need ot get my head around it all somehow before I go throwing it away and buying more over and over.
It is not enough for me to say logically I know I want to wuit for various reasons. When those craving hit- and facing life sober hits- and the thought of always having to say no to it from here on out hits- I just cave. I really would like to find a good way to THINK about it that can help me get through those and that is where a therapist can help- to uncover some of the deeper beliefs and such that keep me entrenched.
I guess-
or maybe no matter what I think or do it is all will power-

Tell me, recovered addicts, does it all come down to will power or do thoughts help too?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it comes down to acceptance, not willpower.

I had to accept that pot, and later booze, were bad for me - and I had to accept that I couldn't be who I wanted to be and smoke weed.

I had to choose.

I hope 2012 can be your year WT

D
Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thinking of quitting again and having my first sober day be tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
Good for you...
Old 12-30-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Willpower never worked for me, for very long anyway. I had to have a lot of outside help. Weed was not easy for me to quit and I did have withdrawals. I'm dealing with the post acute symptoms now. I need God, a twelve step program, a sponser, and SR to stop and stay stopped. I have tried sheer willpower and would stay clean for a brief time, but I would be miserable and would ultimately pick up again. I hope you find something that will work for you.
God bless.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

so you guys think an na meeting would be useful for a pot addict? I think of na as using much differnet drugs than pot and I feel like I just wouldn't fit in- but I do like the idea of a regular support group and there are meetings many days a week pretty close to where I am . Should I go to one? Do I just show up? I have seen aa meetings only on tv! Do I call and talk to someone or just show up? Can I bring my (non addict) husband with me for moral suppport?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

NA is a great idea. I think you will find some answers on another thread:

Narcotics Addiction-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

As for bringing your husband, only to "open" meetings.