Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

December 24 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 12-23-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

December 24 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

There is an easier way to rid ourselves of painful thoughts and imaginings than by following the philosopher’s advice, “Empty your mind…” It is to replace worry and distress with something pleasant.

When I do this, I am not running away from my troubles but clearing my mind of confusion, so I will be better able to make decisions when the time comes to do so.

Constant dwelling on disturbing matters never solves anything; trying to follow the convolutions of a problem only makes me lose all sense of proportion about it.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I will turn to simple things: the contemplation of a tree or a cloud; writing a long-deferred letter or making something, perhaps a birdhouse, a rag doll or a cake. I will deliberately lose myself in the new preoccupation so that when I come back from it, my thoughts will be freshened and ready to deal clearly with what I have to face.

“A change of scene, a new interest, a creative undertaking – these are healing medicine for the troubled.”