Notices

Rough day.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rough day.

Feeling very sad and hopeless today. Funny how many emotions come around when I'm not dulling them with alcohol.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Try to take a moment and breathe and don't let yourself get overwhelmed. You can get through this and each day will be a little easier.

Believe in yourself!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:)

Thank you.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi VikingGF

Christmas can be hard - but remember you're not alone here - everybodys with you

D
Old 12-23-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try and think of one thing that you are grateful for today. Being sober could be the first.

Then try and think of another.

Thoughts and prayers are with you friend. Hang in there.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am 7 days, now, lost count actually, I've quit counting. Just living life and not thinking about drinking, for now anyways. Too busy. But yes those creepy pestering feelings that I tried to fix with the bottle, sure do scare the **** out of me sometimes, and sometimes out of nowhere. I am okay now, but as soon as everyone goes home, I am really going have to deal with those crappy emotions hiding out in the deep crevices of my cerebrum and /or whatever part of my brain or soul their hiding.

I had the privilege of meeting my maternal great Aunty in Norway a few years ago, she was in her late 80's, there was about 15 years between my Grandma and her, my Grandmother has been dead for awhile now. And she said her Uncle (my GG maternal uncle) who had just gone back to Norway to visit, (before planes) and he had only brought a chest full of booze with him for the visit, (they were in the middle of nowhere Norway), anyways, she said that he told her "to never ever put her mouth to the top of a liquor bottle, because there was this little devil running on top of that bottle and once it got inside you, you can never get it out and you will never be able to put that bottle down." Genetics....it's a beautiful thing................, I was given that booze chest, I have it in my living room. This Great great Uncle stayed at our house when I was only 2 years old and he was upstairs and couldn't move, but my dad said his beer kept disappearing and they could figure out who was drinking it, then they noticed me going up and down the stairs trying to hide the beer for my great uncle. He had trained me like a little dog to get his beer, and in return he gave me candy. Drinking is a disorder we will take to the grave. But don't give up. That trunk is a good reminder for me.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Yeah Viking,
We hear you. Are you detoxing still? The first couple of weeks were the toughest for me. Mood swings and actual anxiety attacks and I never had them before sober or drinking. You may find that talking about what you think is making you feel that way can help. But you have picked a season of hope to quit, and while many say that the holidays are a tougher time, I would also look at the wonderful celebration that will come around every December when you not only celebrate the holidays according to your beliefs and custom, but you can also get that deep warm feeling we all do once we have been sober awhile, every year. Ebeneezer Scrooge and the ghosts of the past, present, and the future will have a whole new meaning for you. I quit September 21st last year. These are my second sober holidays. They are your first. And I think you'll feel very warmly when you think about this period later on in your sobriety. I do now in hindsight. If you want to talk more, just post, we are all here, most of the day and night. We got your back.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Viking GF,

All is normal, it does get better emotions will stabilize.

All the best

Merry Christmas
CaiHong
Old 12-23-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Viking - sorry you are having a down day. We completely understand.

In the beginning we feel so vulnerable - all those different emotions hitting us at once. We don't have our buffer - and it takes some getting used to. Hold on to the idea that these feelings will pass. You will come out into the sunshine once again. We're here to listen & help.