Notices

Jealousy in Recovery / Feeling Alone

Old 12-23-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jealousy in Recovery / Feeling Alone

Why do I get so jealous when I see other people in recovery surrounded by family, loved ones who support them, hug them, and genuinely care for them. I am an alcoholic.

I feel like I am on an island. And this time of year doesnt help. I celebrated Thanksgiving, my 34th birthday and now Christmas feeling so so alone.

The people who I thought were in my 'circle of loved ones' have vanished. I know I hurt some of them, but I didnt kill anyone, Thank God!

Am I alone in all of those feelings.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are not alone here. You can meet a lot of great people at AA meetings as well. Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone, and put yourself out there. I know I do. It is not easy at first, especially early in recovery, but after you do it a few times it does get easier. Keep posting here, so people can get to know you.
God bless.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you forget to see the scenes behind doors,where they fight and get blamed etc.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It would be nice to have your family supporting you, but sometimes they just can't, at least not right now. And, it's not necessary. Your recovery journey is yours and you need to do it for yourself.

Hopefully your family will see the changes in you. Believe in yourself and know that you are doing the right thing.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am a member of AA and attend at least once a day. I've always blammed myself for all of my actions. I dont think I understand what you are saying. Nobody forced me to drink.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're feeling down wlaney - it can be a rough time - remember there'll be folks around here through the holidays

My first sober christmas I actually helped out at the local food bank - do you have anything like that - homeless shelter, old peoples home - that you could maybe give a couple of hours to?

I found it a great experience - it helped me forget about my worries for a little while and helped my perspective.

do you have meetings to go to as well?

D