Notices

New, and need some help/advice!

Old 12-23-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New, and need some help/advice!

Hello, I am a 52 year old with a drinking problem. I drink beer daily, sometimes as much as 14 or 16 a day. I wake up feeling like crap and then the cycle continues. I have been drinking for several years now. I have quit for years at a time in the past, but this time I started again and it seems like it is taking me farther down the rabbit hole. I have a great job, and manage to excel at it most of the time. But I know I could do better without the alcohol. I am a single parent of my 22 month old grandson. He is such a joy to me, but I feel that this alcohol is robbing me of my ambition and quality time that I should be spending with him. I have never sought help for my problem, and I still believe I can quit on my own. But I guess me writing this is somewhat of a cry for help. I have had a couple "Wake up" calls recently, and they scared me! I also am worried that the alcohol is impacting my health in a negative way. I have trouble sleeping now and I wonder if that is due to a side affect of the alcohol. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WOW, that is almost word for word my problem. I am 52 as well, with a drinking problem, Im also drinking alot of beer, quit once for 7 years, back at it hard now with spurts of sobriety....my grandson is 2, and I too am worried about my health. I, however am a total underachiever and have a service industry job (even though I have a Bachelors's degree)
I;ll tell you what... the questions you have about your health and your career you already know the answers to. Hell yea drinking is withholding your potential and affecting your body. I'm a flippin mess. Get sober and do your own study. Please, do it for your grandchild as well.
I however do not know what the future of sobriety may hold for me. My son committed suicide 2 days ago.....good luck to you friend from Dublin.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cardinalfan, I am so very sorry to hear about your son! My heart truly goes out to you. I can say I know how you feel, I had a 17 year old daughter commit suicide! I don't know the circumstances of what happened, but please talk to someone about the stages of grief, and also understand that you also must forgive yourself! May God bless you my friend. I am so very sorry for your loss!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

First of all, congratulations on taking responsibility for your little grandson.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. It will get worse unless you stop and each detox seems to be harder than the last. I thought alcohol would help me to sleep at night, and for a few weeks it did help, but before I knew it, the alcohol was controlling me, and insomnia was worse than ever. Alcohol is notorious for disturbing sleep.

I am so glad that you found us and reached out for help. Believe in yourself and that you can do this.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One thing I know. Almost no one can do it on their own. I don't much abide the doggma and ritual of AA but the fellowship and support has saved my bacon. That's good enough for me. I still go to a meeting every day unless it's impossible. I wish you both the best of journeys to sobriety. I know you eill find it so much better than drinking.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

aa speaker tapes are free online. if you listen, you might hear your story.

it's only to relate to another's story.

you can stay stopped, too!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Looking to check in on Gravity7, my friend from Dublin. I pray that you are finding support and encouragement. I cannot get over the similarities we share. I'm going to take care of myself and get sober, my grandson loves and needs me. And your little guy needs you too. Prayers to you Gravity7.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
One thing I know. Almost no one can do it on their own.
Not true. The vast majority do it on their own, you just won't find such people in your meetings.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nor on a recovery website
Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm here and I'm doing it on my own after a very long drinking career.
But, I have faith in God and rely on it heavily.

I hope eveyone finds something that works for them, whatever it may be.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am here too trying on my own. I am new, but seems like this might help without having go to groups. I am not comfortable around lots of people these days.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

gravity7 and Cardinalfan, I understand both of you. My daughters stopped bringing my grandkids around because of my drinking and my 16 year old brother committed suicide 18 years ago. Cardinalfan, it will take time, I still remember the phone call, but it will get somewhat easier. I still cry all day long on the date, I wish you the best.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Nor on a recovery website
Perhaps, but I'm not inclined to knock someone's knees out from under them by telling them they can't quit and shouldn't even try. If you read the message I responded to carefully, you'll notice that she simultaneously dismisses both self-recovery and the AA program.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doing Gravity7?

D
Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Looking for Gravity7

the flowers from my son's funeral are dying and I have to throw them away. My 2 yr old grandson and I shared our breakfast smiling at his daddy's picture on the breakfast table. I went to my doctor yesterday and he is sending me to a psychiatrist and maybe a short hospital stay, and of course they prescribed antidepresants. I cannot remember what sober day I am on, only that I want to do this with all my heart for my son and grandson. I want to thank SR and all of you for your support. Even though some of us are miles and continents apart, we all can relate to a story. It's nice to be lifted up when things are difficult.
Gravity7 I hope things are going well with you. You are in my prayers.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((cardinalfan))))

D