Notices

Scared of Seizure please respon

Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared of Seizure please respon

I've been a very heavy alcohol user for about the last two years and finally decided to quit this week. I have been drinking heavily for about 2 years and have had my last drink about 30 hours ago. I usually drank every night around 15-25 shots of vodka. For the past 30 hours I have had the trembles (they seemed to have subsided for now fortunately) but what is worrying me is the extreme disorientation and the mini panic attacks. Every 15 minutes I involuntarily just lose it and forget where I am, what I'm doing and kind of go into a mini panic attack. Is there any chance of me having a seizure from my DT or since It's been 30 hours I'm over the worst of it???
Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Alcohol detox can be deadly. It isn't anything to mess around with, especially with the amount of alcohol you are used to drinking. I suggest you see your doctor as soon as possible and let him know that you are detoxing from alcohol. If you are feeling too bad, a trip to the ER might be in order. Yes, having a stroke or a seizure is very possible during alcohol detox. Please don't hesitate to get medical help if you feel you need it.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

From my understanding, you are at risk of seizures up to 5 days or even a week after your last drink. Your withdrawl symptoms sound severe enough to require hospitalization. If you can I strongly STRONGLY recommending you get to the ER NOW! I've had 2 seizures coming off alcohol and they are scary at best, deadly at worst. You are nowhere near out of the woods. I don't mean to scare you, but if you could contact a close friend or relative to take you in, please do it. Your life really could be indanger.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Towards the end of my drinking and during detox it felt like someone was in my brain and messing with the wires. It was really bad and I should have gone to the ER or somewhere to get help with it.
I wish you the best and remember: You only have to go through this once if you get sober and stick with it.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you are at all worried go to the ER right away. I did that a couple of years ago and was glad i did, I thought I was dying. They were very nice there and let me out after about 8 hours with meds
Old 12-22-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

kcchiefs!
Welcome to the forums! I add to the recommends that you get to an ER pronto. Don't worry about why, just go since you are having a tough time. The risk of seizures is very real and it is too late when it is too late you know?
Don't give in go to the ER! So you can finish this once and for all. Don't drink and have to go through this again, as they get worse with each time.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You sound like you are about to go into full blown DTs and this is a medical emergency. You are not over the worst of it, my medical detox included 4 days in the hospital, which is where you need to go. Alcohol detox can be deadly, DTs even more so.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hi dgillz! I'm in Mobile right now! It's my hometown and I'm visiting for the holidays. Sure beats cold ole Wisconsin. ^_^
Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

some really good advice here kcchiefs - I hope you saw someone.
Let us know how you're getting on

D
Old 12-22-2011, 11:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not only could you have a seizure, but if you do have a seizure you will lose your driver's license for a year as a medical risk.

The hospital or detox can often prevent seizures. I needed help from them myself when I was detoxing. There are medications that will help you through the first 5 days.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Hi dgillz! I'm in Mobile right now! It's my hometown and I'm visiting for the holidays. Sure beats cold ole Wisconsin. ^_^
Wow! Another Mobilian. I've only lived here 10 years. Terrible place to sober up with Mardi Gras, bars open 24/7 and all that.

I'm actually in Lexington KY at the moment, won't be back until Jan 10th.

Where in WI are you?

Do you go to AA?
Old 12-23-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! 25 shots of vodka a day is a lot, and to quit that cold turkey is tough. I hope you got some medical attention.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome.
20 shots of the hard stuff is alot. I did the whiskey thang so I know. But what I don't know is how your body will react to no alcohol after being so used to it for 2 years. And I'm sure you got progressively worse.
If I were you, I'd seek medical attention -just to be safe. Two assets to sobriety are honesty and safety. Please get help with this and please let us know how you are doing.
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

KC, I was drinking a 26 of vodka a day by the time I quite (98 days ago) and I do not suggest doing it with out medical supervision.

I am epileptic, and did experience seizures with my detox. That said I do know of many who experience seizures from withdrawl alone.

What you are describing sounds very serious, and I hope that since you have last posted you have sought out medical attention.

Please let us know how you are, I am thinking of you and hope that you are safe and well.

Blessings
Mish
Old 12-23-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was also a vodka-only shots drinker like you. The first days felt like pure hell, and looking back in hindsight, I wish I went to my doctor.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't mean to frighten you, but 30 hours is the tip of the iceberg...DTs and seizures can start 72 hours and MORE into detox....ER....better safe than sorry....if you're alone, you won't be able to call if you seize...
Old 12-23-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Dgillz- I'm just north of Milwaukee. Sobering up in Mobile is bad but doing it up near Milwaukee is amazingly hard! There are more bars and liquor stores than almost anything else. They even sell hard liquor in the grocery stores and gad stations and it's really cheap.

I got to AA on occasion. There's a club up there that hosts meetings and is open 7 days a week that I'm going to join. Kind of like Alano Club here.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Member

How are you doing kcchiefs?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i saw my doctor and got advice after listening to peoples advice on here. I had the trembles and still do but the major side effects seem to have gone away. The doc advised using some alprazolam in the morning and at night and it helped a ton. Im six days in now and not going to lie it was rough but i stuck through and now feel a billion times better. Idk how many times i felt i was going to seize up and pretty sure i might have had a mild one at 4am but id definitely suggest talking to your doctor asap at the very least. You can pull through just stay strong with it. As for DT's i doubt you are there yet but better to be safe than sorry