Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

for those who hear "I can't get or stay sober without you" . . .

Old 12-21-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

So many times we hear from our loved ones that I can't get sober without, or I can stay sober without you ~ I need you, I need the kids, etc. . .

(which sometimes plays right into our co-dependency)

But let me share something that was written by people that know this disease, people that understand and have lost everything and remained sober. . .

This is a quote from the Big Book of AA page 98 Fourth Edition. .

"He clamors for this or that, claiming he cannot master alcohol until his material needs are cared for. Nonsense. Some of us have taken very hard knocks to learn this truth: Job or no job - wife or no wife - we simply do not stop drinking so long as we place dependence upon other people ahead of dependence upon God.

Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust God and clean house."

If the Alcoholic/addict is truly willing to go to any lengths - in fact with the same dedication that they used to seek the drink or the drug ~ the efforts to be clean and sober will not be in vain.

These are not my words, but those shared to me by the "old-timers" of the open AA & NA meetings I have attended.

I use these words to comfort me when I am tempted to give into the pleas of my daughter & step-son ~ I know I must remain strong so that they can find their way to a healthier path of recovery.

PINK HUGS & prayers for a safe, sane, and drama-free Christmas/Holiday

Rita
Old 12-21-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Agreed Anvil!

I thought for sure that my now exah would be so grateful and appreciative of all the years I stayed with him, provided for him and our daughters, even the years I got into recovery, got healthy, stood by him thru the many relapses.

I thought he would honor his agreement that we both had ~ we had agreed that when either of us decided that we could no longer take the pressure of dealing with the disease - we would walk away peacefully, no fight, no drama ~ that we would hug, be grateful for the time we had together and walk away as friends.

I truly believed that was going to happened until after I moved out and he served me with papers suing me for Alimony and all that other jazz ~

The disease is cunning, baffling and powerful - on both sides!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think we have all been subjected to the same old line at some point or another and I guess it is up to each of us how we actually deal with it.
Not easy and not nice to know that we can be so easily manipulated...but as you said that is the cunning and baffling disease....
We live and learn - one day at at time
M.