Notices

BEGGING for help...and they wont...

Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

BEGGING for help...and they wont...

I think im detoxing... All I want is to go to the er... Ive asked, begged really, and they wont take me. Im not a super heavy drinker, so I dont think they take me seriously... I feel like crap. I want to do this today not the 23rd when I have an appointment. I feel like ive been screaming for help, and not getting better, but worse. Do I have to hit rock bottom?? Or can my family just listen, hear my suffering, and LET Me get help??
Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Call a cab.

As for your family, I'm too stunned to comment.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What Dogon said
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, call a cab and GO.

Sorry you are going through this.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Get there anyway you can. In Atlanta AA has a line you can call and see if they can help. In Atlanta they will pick people up and take them to meetings or where they need to go to get sober.

Saliena
Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't rely on your family or friends for your recovery....call a cab....I wish you the absolute best...
Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

The most vital lesson we learn in recovery is that we MUST take responsibility for ourselves (and our recovery) NO MATTER WHAT.

Some learn it sooner, some learn it later. I think those who learn it sooner get a head start.

Truly my friend, I know what I am talking about. You will not be sorry if you get the help you need. You could be very very sorry if you do not.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Camille, please do yourself a favour and call a cab so you can get the help you need.
Detox is serious stuff and you don't want to mess around with it.
YOUR recovery is YOUR responsibility and by taking the action to get help, you are showing your family just how serious and important getting and staying sober is for you.

This is the single best thing you can do for yourself, and you deserve it!!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Im done drinking, but I think the xanax is waaayyyy worse... Ive had bad hangovers, but never felt like this. Its insane, maybe my body just dislikes it. Either way its just something else to get addicted to. I love my family and their endless support, but id rather be in a medical facility. funny how lifechanging events can help with life changing decisions
Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Firstly, If you think your life is in danger or you are thinking of doing something hurtful to yourself please call 911.

There is also a very helpful free 24 hour number you can call if you are having a crisis or just need some help figuring out what to do:
866.427.4747 Crisis Clinic 1-800-273-8255
the trained volunteers can help provide you with guidance and support in helping you make the right decision.

Lastly do you have the number of your Doctor you can call and ask for advice on getting into treatment?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This happened to me on a detox. Since my parents had no clue to the extent of my drinking, they wouldn't take me to the hospital. I had no idea what I was going through, and probably had too much pride to call an ambulance or cab.

If I would have known what I know now, I would have just called a cab and not relied on what my parents or friends said because how would they know my condition?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nirvana1 View Post
This happened to me on a detox. Since my parents had no clue to the extent of my drinking, they wouldn't take me to the hospital. I had no idea what I was going through, and probably had too much pride to call an ambulance or cab.

If I would have known what I know now, I would have just called a cab and not relied on what my parents or friends said because how would they know my condition?
My husband was at first hesitant to take me to the ER when I asked to go. However, a quick phone call to the family doctor - who told me to get there immediately - convinced him.

He had NO idea of my condition and I was pretty good at being sneaky so how COULD he? He's still learning today.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by CamilleBelle View Post
Im done drinking, but I think the xanax is waaayyyy worse...
Camille,

Xanax is a potent, short acting benzodiazepine that is cross-tolerant with alcohol. One will, in effect, maintain and possibly accelerate dependence on the other. Withdrawal from Xanax can indeed be worse than from alcohol, and abrupt cessation is ill advised. If you cannot get to the ER, call your prescribing doctor and tell him/her what is going on. They will either switch you to a longer-acting benzodiazepine that you can taper down from, or tell you to go to the ER. Have them talk to your family if necessary.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Of course I pick moving day to feel this way!! Having my mom, and husbands help is great, shes getting me pedilight (*spelling?) And crackers right now. 10 hour drive today, and im sleeping the whole way! Guess ill keep the dr. appointment, for the 23rd.

AND... I am alcohol-less and xanax is with my mom, and im stuck with her for the next week. No chance of using.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CamilleBelle View Post
I think im detoxing... All I want is to go to the er... Ive asked, begged really, and they wont take me. Im not a super heavy drinker, so I dont think they take me seriously... I feel like crap. I want to do this today not the 23rd when I have an appointment. I feel like ive been screaming for help, and not getting better, but worse. Do I have to hit rock bottom?? Or can my family just listen, hear my suffering, and LET Me get help??

Do it on your own.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

CamilleBell,
I don't quite know what to say, other than chime in with those who said to take your recovery into your own hands. Go to the ER, go on your own! Call a cab, just go!
At the very least, pick up the phone and call your prescribing Dr. and tell him what is going on, before setting out on a 10 hour drive while going through detox.
Looks as though the movers, your husband and your family have the move under control. Now YOU need to take charge of YOU!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd have chosen to get professional medical help today Camille - I agree with the others.
In the end - we're all responsible for ourselves.

D
Old 12-21-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Lots of sweet juices for the drive to help with the shakey feelings, you may want to have a bucket and towel in the car in case you suddenly get queasy. If you can sleep some, that'll help a lot. You may need emergency toilet supplies if you're caught away from rest areas.

Figure you'll need to do what you usually do when you've have a bad hangover. And you can expect to feel as bad as you normally feel. As bad as last week for example. Or the week before.

If your pattern after a bad drunk is to go to the emergency room the day after to heal up, then for sure stop participating in the family move and go check yourself into the hospital for as long as you usually stay.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Gogogogo! Do whatever it takes but make arrangements and GO! I've had a seizure twice while trying to detox myself. I stayed up all night worrying that my husband would awake to a dead wife. He would have taken me but I was too embarassed and ashamed to ask.

Go now. It could kill you.