Notices

A decision I am facing.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A decision I am facing.

I suffer from depression. Going to meetings is great, I have been to very many over the past few months. I am doing the steps, but most importantly, I am handing over in the mornings. This alone should be enough. The other steps are add ons and me praying every morning and evening should be enough.

The reason I am writing this is out of a bit of anger and frustration. And Fear.

I have heard others share at meetings with depression. I heard a girl last week share, she was doing the steps for the second time. She was suicidal. How come? Surely she should have sorted herself out first time round. I was afraid and alarmed when I heard this. It translated in my mind that there are things that you cant change about yourself that cannot be removed no matter what. This girl was in a very tough spot. i felt for her, many didnt see or hear what I was seeing. A woman who was putting enormous pressure on herself to do steps.

So I go back to myself. I am going to a sponsor, a lovely guy who has recovered from hell. He is wise. He is well meaning. He loves life. He is at peace. Yet, I am on the fourth step with him, and he wants me to stop taking anti depressants. There is a lot at stake here to do that. there is a huge amount at stake. I keep thinking of the girl last week and what doing fouth steps has done for her. Why does she have to redo them? why didnt they work the first time? Did she not do them properly? was she not handing over properly?

I am afraid of all this. I know that I am in a place where I am not well. I have put a huge amount of pressure on myself about this. Conventional medicine has to play a role here in my head.

I have defects of character for sure. I have a crazy head. This will never change, because it makes us who we are as humans, and who we are as alcoholics. Changing this or trying to remove them could be a bridge too far for me.

What should I do??
Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For one...I wouldn't be taking medical advice from your sponsor....For two...Don't worry about the other girl...Maybe she is taking the steps again because she halfassed them the first time. Who knows....Who cares...You just have to be totally honest with yourself while taking the fourth step...It's a key step in the recovery program...maybe someday you can stop taking meds...I don't know that. If you are looking for a reason not to do a fearless and thorough 4th step...I've heard a lot them...They're all out there drinking somewhere. Rarely have we seen a person fail...You know the rest.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Eddie,

It sounds like you are doing well, try not to worry too much about what others are going through although your kindness & compassion is admirable. As great as your sponsor is he is not a doctor. If you would like to cut back on your meds/dose have an honest conversation with your doctor about your situation & see where it leads.

Dont worry too much about defects of character right now, we are all evolving at our own pace & you are sober, going to meetings and working on the steps with a sponsor you admire & respect... it sounds like things are on a pretty good track from here.

Don't be too hard on yourself of expect too much too fast. You are doing great! Be kind & patient with yourself you deserve it.

All of the best with your ongoing recovery ~ NB
Old 12-21-2011, 03:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
I am handing over in the mornings. This alone should be enough. The other steps are add ons and me praying every morning and evening should be enough.
I don't buy this either...If it were that easy...It would be a one step program...You have to clear the wreckage of your past...Call them add ons if you want...But they are there for a reason.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eddie

You deserve to be happy and content just like any one else. There are loads of alcoholics here who are happy and content - and many of them have mental health issues as well.

I'm not in AA but I've never heard anyone claim the 12 steps as a cure for all kinds of illness and malady.

I have heard lots of people say they go to AA for their alcoholism, and they see their Dr or therapist for their other medical issues.

That sounds about right to me.
I do not take my medical advice from lay people.

D
Old 12-21-2011, 03:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee, that is very helpful. Sapling, clearing wreckage is great, but when you still feel bad or even suicidal after making an honest inventory, it is time to question things in a big way. I am not looking for excuses for quitting. I am more to the point, wanting to do the right thing and balance my expectations.

Depression and the steps are 2 different things methinks. I had the depression before I abused alcohol.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is easy for a person to say they completed the 12 steps. It is impossible to know with what seriousness, what quality of mind, what completeness, etc. the steps were done by anyone but oneself.

I would be wary of the thought "causing you to question everything". It sounds like me getting ready to drink. "Nothing works; AA folks relapse; all that Higher Power mumbo jumbo...off to the liquor store we go".

And yes, your sponsor is not your doctor. I'm not sure what kind of grandiosity would lead a lay person to advise stopping anti-depressants, but that would be a big red flag for me.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Having seen a few people hit the wall because they felt the meds they took for a legitimate chemical imbalance kept them from being sober, I cringe when I hear that some misguided sponsor is playing doctor. Even though my experience has proven that the steps were what I needed to fix my thinking, and once my thinking was fixed, my depression went away, I know that I'm not qualified to diagnose that state in another human being.

That said, I'd ask a couple of questions: Have you ever abused your meds? Are your meds of the type that lend themselves to abuse? I've also witnessed quite a few folks quit drinking only to transfer their addiction to other things--I did it many times myself. Perhaps that's your sponsor's concern?

And, no, I wouldn't suggest trying to stay sober on the first three steps. Faith without works is dead.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not in AA but I've never heard anyone claim the 12 steps as a cure for all kinds of illness and malady.
I'll be your first then...Alcohol was but a symptom of the illness I suffered from...My thinking was a malady...The way I lived was a malady..My sprirituality was a malady....And those 12 steps changed all of those for the better. I couldn't ask for a lot more than that.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry, you're right - I should have said anyone *outside this forum*.
Do you suffer from clinical depression Sapling?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-21-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry you're right - I should have said anyone *outside this forum*.
Do you suffer from clinical depression Sapling?

D
Before I took those 12 steps....I'm not even sure what the depression I suffered from was called...It was enough to make me want to die....Does that count?
Old 12-21-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found the 12 steps was the right medicine for your condition Sapling.

I'm glad I got my depression treated by a Dr, and I still recommend that line of treatment.

D
Old 12-21-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Eddie,

I am a newcomer to this site but I would say that (I suffer from bipolar which includes of course depressive states) that to take advice from anyone about discontinuing medication, that isn't a person you trust to know about your need for that medication personally, may not be ideal.

My suggestion would be to continue with your medication and discuss it with a medical professional involved in your treatment. are they aware of your AA attendance?

feeling afraid or concerend about your own capabilities after hearing another's failure, in my view, is understandable. We look to others often ahead of us on a path to demonstrate that it's achievable, but not only is she one of many stories, she is unique, separate from you, and her success or failure does not dictate or affect yours. You sound like you are doing so well, and in a place that although difficult, you are continuing to work towards and successfully so.

Don't base your aptitude for success against others, base it on what you have acheived so far, and I for one, as a newcomer am inspired by your honesty and openness.

Charlie
Old 12-21-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found the 12 steps was the right medicine for your condition Sapling.

I'm glad I got my depression treated by a Dr, and I still recommend that line of treatment.

D
God bless both of us,,,,
Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I have a very strong gut reaction to that and would probably be looking for a new sponsor.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

It's "Alcoholics Anonymous", not "Depression Anonymous".
Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Eddie, as further posts have stated it would be dangerous and ill advised to discontinue taking your medication. Also, focusing on character defects would probably depress anyone. We all have them and it is admirable that you are working on them. How about also making a list of character attributes? I can see from your post that you are honest, compassionate, dedicated and understanding.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the posts guys. I am very helped by the debate about this. I find that AA is keeping me sober. There is no question about this. Step 4 is a fearless inventory about myself. I am not afraid of doing this, I have baggage for sure, but I am afraid of not feeling better, or rather feeling more frustrated by doing it and still having to deal with my depression. There is my issue in a nutshell. Re the girl who shared last week about her depression and her second time doing the steps, I doubt very very much if she did not do a fearless 4th step last time round. This is my instinct and my opinion having seen her and listened to her story.

Being aware of this is healthy. Flying blind into it is folly. I am going to do the 4th step and see what happens. I will continue to hand over. There is nothing else I can do. Thanks again folks.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

AA is for alcoholism and how to stay sober and it has nothing to do with depression. In fact, AA has no opinion on outside issues (i.e. anti-depressants).

DO NOT. I repeat, DO NOT take medical advice from anyone other than your doctor. And don't let some ignoramous in AA or otherwise tell you you're not sober because of meds prescribed by a doctor.

I would also recommend getting a new sponsor. Telling someone to get of their meds is one of the most irresponsibile things someone in AA can do. It's just plain wrong. No where in the book does it say anything even remotely close to that.

Keep up the hard work eddie. Congrats on your sober time!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
I am handing over in the mornings. This alone should be enough. The other steps are add ons and me praying every morning and evening should be enough.
It's not enough, in my experience. I've seen many a devout, full of faith in God, pray morning and night, kind of guy fail to sober when they were unwilling to finish the Steps.

Look at how that 4th Step is introduced in the BB. It talks about getting rid of the things that had been blocking me from the sunlight of the Spirit. I've got a big, fat, bunch of SELF blocking up the spiritual pipeline. That stuff needs to be cleaned out before much spirit flows through.

Eddie, I think I've mentioned this before, that the middle of a 4th Step is a rough place. I almost think that when a psychic change starts to happen, the ego rears its head and starts resisting in a big way. A hundred reasons to not keep moving will pop up. It's always been an internal struggle of motivation for me.

In AA, how do we turn things over to God? We make that decision in Step 3, right, but read on.
Originally Posted by AA BB 1st
Though our decision was a vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us.
So whether or not praying should be enough, our experience shows us it is insufficient.

Consider one authority for the medication concerns. Seek an answer, and be patient. No way should you go off meds because of your sponsor's suggestion. But, you can consider what life might be like without them, discuss it with your doctor, take this to a higher power, and see what comes up. Handing things over means handing all things over. This med question included. Just consider it, that's all. Seek an answer, and one will come.