Notices

Why? Instant gratification and something else

Old 12-20-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why? Instant gratification and something else

Hi,

I have been a binge drinker and have been quit since Thanksgiving. That is about three weeks quit and I feel pretty good physically and mentally but a bit depressed. I need to get more exercise and to spend more time with people talking, working, playing, and building meaningful relationships that do not involve alcohol.

I have been thinking a lot about why I drank alcohol. One of the problems with alcohol or any drug is that it gives instant gratification. After a few beers I would start to feel fine and then after 6 or 7 or 11 I would feel very fine. The feeling from getting drunk doesn't require much of us. It seems, to gain true satisfaction from something, we have to put in work. The "euphoric" feeling from being drunk only lasts for a short time and I don't even remember it. And it just leaves me worse off than I was before getting drunk. Getting drunk and doing nonsense blackout junk is not gratification.

Now to the something else alluded to in the subject of this post...I use to drink to try to get some place, to reach some new me. Through alcohol, I tried to grow as a person. In some strange way, I thought that a new, better me would emerge through getting drunk. It has taken me 10 years of terrible suffering from alcoholism to realize it stops me from growing into the person I aspire to be. It hasn't been alcohol that has helped me, it has been experiences out of my comfort zone(sober), hard work, and learning from family and friends that have led to my personal growth.

After many unsuccessful attempts at moderation, I realize I can't do it and that my only option is sobriety. I hope what I said makes some sense to someone. I have been thinking about it all night and just wanted to share and write it down. I haven't posted much but have been reading the site almost daily and it has been very helpful and illuminating. I wish you all the best and I look forward to reading more.

Thank you
Old 12-21-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I absolutely agree I've grown about 20 years worth since I stopped drinking and drugging
thanks for the post mainza - and congratulations on your progress

D
Old 12-21-2011, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mainza..your post made perfect sense to me. I am new to this journey as well. I find exercising helps quite a bit. Doesn't have to be much, even a 35 min walk each day will help.

Thanks for your post. 3 weeks! Excellent.

Jim