Notices

2nd day in alcohol free

Old 12-20-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2nd day in alcohol free

Last night was the first night in about three months that i havent been drunk to get to sleep and needless to say it was a nightmare and only managed to put in about 3 hours of sleep, I was sweating ridiculously mind was racing and just felt sick. Today im trembling but nothing too terrible, im sensitive to light, anxious and a bit jumpy but after reading about DT's and the other side effects im literally terrified about whats to come and honestly dont know if i can do this.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

You're in good company here, we all have the same thoughts and problems on a minute by minute basis. As I type this, I could use a drink.. or seven.

But I remind myself that I've made it this far (only 5 days) for a reason. You made it to your second day for a reason. What is that reason(s)? Is it strong enough to fight for, to be sober? Do you value waking up every day? Alcohol has the potential to rob you of that and cause much more pain before that even happens. You decided to join this site because you are reaching out for help, and trying to find answers. We've all been there, and some of us are still there.

I went to some really bad AA meetings over the years. I didn't fit in, I couldn't get the point across in my own head. I finally found one in the oddest of places, and now I feel like I have an entire family to back me up.. Try to find a meeting that fits you, it really does help!

You don't have to go through this alone.. talk it out with someone you trust, talk to us here on SR if you would like. We're all here to share experiences with where we are and where we've been, and most importantly, why we've decided to stop the craziness!

Keep up the faith, things do get better with time.. Don't worry about whether you'll be sober next week, worry about right now, tonight... and worry about the future when you get there.. Small steps lead to giant leaps in your path to success. Hang in there!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I second what SOCalDude stated. Please fight for your life. If the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal get too bad - seek medical help. Alcohol can and will kill you. This is a life and death battle. Take it one day at a time and believe you can do it! You have a huge support network of recovering people here that will love and support you. Try and pamper yourself in any way you can (nice meal, warm bath, good book, massage, etc.) and realize that it does get better. Try and envision how good your life could be without alcohol and ultimately freedom.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome FormerBBer

I think it's always a good idea to see a Dr - why not be safe? At the very least you can set your mind at ease

D
Old 12-20-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by formerbber View Post
Last night was the first night in about three months that i havent been drunk to get to sleep and needless to say it was a nightmare and only managed to put in about 3 hours of sleep, I was sweating ridiculously mind was racing and just felt sick. Today im trembling but nothing too terrible, im sensitive to light, anxious and a bit jumpy but after reading about DT's and the other side effects im literally terrified about whats to come and honestly dont know if i can do this.

Welcome to SR, we're all in this together. I think you should consult a doc though. Congrats on your decision...
Old 12-20-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've decided to live a sober life and I hope you feel better tomorrow. Please do talk to your dr if you are concerned.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I appreciate the concern and im truly grateful i found this place. I will be seeing my doctor soon or if it becomes too unbearable. My last blood work was a month ago im not sure if cessation of alcohol changes anything although i dont see how it couldnt. Is cold turkey the best way to go about this? I am prescribed alprazolam although i'd rather not mix that into the equation. Has anyone tried tapering off or is that too risky for relapse?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Former,
Welcome to the forums! Does your name mean former Big Booker? Because I was going to suggest you get with a local AA group and your Doc as well. You are wise to not want to add a drug to a potentially dangerous situation. See the doctor that prescribed it and let him or her know exactly what you are doing and how much you drank before. If you can taper off more power to you but most of us had to go cold turkey. Well I didn't go cold turkey exactly, as I was another fowl, chicken. Because I went to a 7 day in hospital detox. I didn't know what they gave me and tapered me off of, or cared, I got off alcohol and got it out of my system and recovered. Lots of healing from there to here and still healing. we are here for you.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you are only on day two and have the shakes and insomnia, I urge you to see a doctor. Are you presently taking the Valium? did you take Valium while you were drinking?

Valium is often prescribed for detox from alcohol to avoid seizures.

I admire you courage to see this through. Unfortunately, nearly everyone I know who has maintained sobriety did so going cold turkey. If you're an alcoholic like this alcoholic, tapering only resulted in failure.

Thanks for posting. And remember, the hardest part of getting sober is going back to Day 1 again and again and again.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
If you are only on day two and have the shakes and insomnia, I urge you to see a doctor. Are you presently taking the Valium? did you take Valium while you were drinking?

I admire you courage to see this through. Unfortunately, nearly everyone I know who has maintained sobriety did so going cold turkey. If you're an alcoholic like this alcoholic, tapering only resulted in failure.

Thanks for posting. And remember, the hardest part of getting sober is going back to Day 1 again and again and again.

Good luck.
insomnia is what led to me using alcohol as much as did just so i could get some sleep. Decided to self medicate than use the xanax the doctor gave (20 20 hindsight) thanks for all the encouraging feedback just gotta keep pulling through. I may have overstated it's not so much shakes as my fingers tremble when i hold them straight but as the day has progressed it's been getting better but im anxious how ill be able to sleep tonight. FormerBBer stands for Former Bodybuilder....kind of hard to keep that up when your drowning yourself in beer everynight
Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post

He's not on valium, he mentioned alprazolam, aka xanax.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome formerbber. Glad you're here.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Insomnia is really common when we stop drinking, but it really does get better (it took several days for me, but the first two were the worst). - I just resigned myself to resting as much as possible, knowing that at least I wouldn't have to face the morning with a horrible hangover.

Congratulations on making a great decision - be patient with yourself and take things one day at a time. Welcome!:day6
Old 12-20-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Insomnia is really common when we stop drinking, but it really does get better (it took several days for me, but the first two were the worst). - I just resigned myself to resting as much as possible, knowing that at least I wouldn't have to face the morning with a horrible hangover.

Congratulations on making a great decision - be patient with yourself and take things one day at a time. Welcome!:day6
Thank you it really does mean alot, from the looks of it im not going to get much sleep but it was my pre existing insomnia that lead me to drinking since it was the only thing that put me to sleep (as long as im on here might as well say steroids screwed up my thyroid and that's how my insomnia started, not proud of it but im not going to lie since this place has been nothing but helpful) . Had a long talk with an old friend tonight who is now 90 days clean and she described her withdrawals...not completely enlightening so i made an appt with my doctor for tomorrow to see if i should use the xanax, taper down, or just avoid outpatient altogether
Old 12-20-2011, 10:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Good deal on talking with your doctor.

I have detoxed at home like a fool to many times shakin apart , sweating, hallucations, and never get any sleep till at least the thrid day.

All three times I was either in the ER or ICU they always gave my ativan, and usally a 8 day tapered supply when released. That makes it SO much easier not to mention safer.

Good luck and keep going forward .
Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
Good deal on talking with your doctor.

I have detoxed at home like a fool to many times shakin apart , sweating, hallucations, and never get any sleep till at least the thrid day.

All three times I was either in the ER or ICU they always gave my ativan, and usally a 8 day tapered supply when released. That makes it SO much easier not to mention safer.

Good luck and keep going forward .
I really hope the doctor doesnt think im that far in to be hospitalized but i guess ill find out tomorrow, damn i really hate hospitals but this isnt very pleasant either. Just gotta keep the head up i guess
Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

back from the doctor and she recommended not to go completely cold turkey yet and to try the xanax at .5 in the morning when alcohol levels are the lowest and the symptoms are the worst and then up to 1mg before bed. She said i could try tapering off but that will only prolong the symptoms and possibly cause me to feel even worse than i do now at night. Blood work is done but i wont know the results until tomorrow... doesnt think i need hospitalization so hopefully she is right
Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by formerbber View Post
back from the doctor and she recommended not to go completely cold turkey yet and to try the xanax at .5 in the morning when alcohol levels are the lowest and the symptoms are the worst and then up to 1mg before bed. She said i could try tapering off but that will only prolong the symptoms and possibly cause me to feel even worse than i do now at night. Blood work is done but i wont know the results until tomorrow... doesnt think i need hospitalization so hopefully she is right
Hope everything works out. I try explaining these symptoms to some hard headed people around me and they just do not get it...
Old 12-21-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

well done hope everything works out
Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

managed to make it this far and slept amazing last night but still mornings are terrible, very trembly and very hard to feel lucid again after sleeping. i dunno if anyone else has ever had this happen but i have a humming in one ear and its really annoying but im not sure if related