Notices

My first day back to sobriety...again :)

Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first day back to sobriety...again :)

This last year I was able to drop alcohol from Feb 12- Sept 24th. This was after I spent the preceeding 2 1/2 years drinking a minimum of 8-10 drinks a night, and at least twice weekly drink from morning to night. I stopped because I began having convulsions and chest pain. I'm 28 and despite the drinking, an athlete. Just recently I picked it up again thinking I was strong enough...days turned to weeks, and now months. Now after "lightly" binging everyday for nearly 4 months I just have to stop!! I was really hoping I could reach out to other recovering addicts for support. I thought I could do it alone, but just can't. Thank you
Old 12-20-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melyb View Post
This last year I was able to drop alcohol from Feb 12- Sept 24th. This was after I spent the preceeding 2 1/2 years drinking a minimum of 8-10 drinks a night, and at least twice weekly drink from morning to night. I stopped because I began having convulsions and chest pain. I'm 28 and despite the drinking, an athlete. Just recently I picked it up again thinking I was strong enough...days turned to weeks, and now months. Now after "lightly" binging everyday for nearly 4 months I just have to stop!! I was really hoping I could reach out to other recovering addicts for support. I thought I could do it alone, but just can't. Thank you
Good luck man. I am relatively new to SR too, but I find alot of support and comfort here. I do not post regular, but I am constantly reading...

Stay strong!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Back To Day 1

I'm on my latest day one as well. Like you, thought I could drink just a little, but I'm a binge drinker. If I have one I just keep grabbing them until I'm sloppy. I tend to do well when I come here daily, sometimes several times a day, but when I stop, I slip. And that's a terrible slope. You aren't alone and the folks here really care.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Haon View Post
I'm on my latest day one as well. Like you, thought I could drink just a little, but I'm a binge drinker. If I have one I just keep grabbing them until I'm sloppy. I tend to do well when I come here daily, sometimes several times a day, but when I stop, I slip. And that's a terrible slope. You aren't alone and the folks here really care.

Your story is exactly what mine is. That ONE drink turns out to be a binge that could last for days...
Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi melyb,

Great that you took the step to join us here on SR. You will find lots of support and helpful posts here.

You already know that you can quit, you did it last year, for over 7 months. The decision to quit completely is yours now, melyb. You can do it!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Melyb!

I totally agree that we can't do this on our own. Keep reading and posting, and welcome to our community!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR melyb
This a great community - good to have you with us!

D
Old 12-20-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate to you all...I made it 12 days and felt great, then convinced myself I could be responsible. That didn't happen, obviously. Back to Day 1. Nothing like a bout with relapse to remind you that you are making the right decision by quitting...Stay positive, everyone.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melyb View Post
I was really hoping I could reach out to other recovering addicts for support. I thought I could do it alone, but just can't. Thank you
Nope...can't do it alone...that's what we're all here for. Glad you're here...Welcome.
It's called a group hug for a reason. Otherwise, it would be called a single hug or solo hug or don't need anyone hug or I can do it alone hug or...
Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can relate to your post, and I wish the best. I am also 28, and, with the exception of a few days of sobriety here and there, had been drinking 8-10 drinks per day just as "maintenance drinking" since a relapse in June. It definitely takes a toll.