Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Maybe finally I can stop searching, but not working on myself!

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think this is the first time Ive posted without being drunk or have been drunk or trying not to kill myself over things I've done. Haven't had a drop in a couple months. Here's the thing... I've been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 by my reg Doctor, my therapist and a Pysch. Now I know what your thinking... It's just a binge drinker using another excuse, but I dont plan on drinking again, and hopefully with the therapy, and right meds I will even out and not go off on some crazy ass weekend, spend all my cash, drink till I drop then be so depressed over it I want to die... My therapist said my past reads like a history of misdiagnosed bipolar disorder. I was depressed before the drinking started, and I could drink normal for long stretches at a time then out of no where just go off crazy drinking and spending money like a fish then be severely depressed for doing it. I'm not going to put all the blame on the bipolar disorder but it does answer after all these years of knowing something was wrong in my head and not being able to grasp what was wrong with me.

Well maybe this isnt the right place to post this but I just wanted to give anyone that has known me over the years an update. And know this, it hasnt been a cake walk since being diagnosed. Not about the drinking part, I could care less for a drink, wife's beer in the fridge right now. The meds for bipolar are terrible compared to the normal anti depressants, the side effects are awful, I cant work, bills are piling up, but hopefully with the help and support of my family I can get back to normal some day. Thanks all for listening. Love each and every one of you... (Now certified crazy) Bless all.. Searching
Old 12-19-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear from you, Searching - I really hope this is the way forward for you
Hopefully the meds will settle down

D
Old 12-19-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Searching, I'm glad that you have a diagnosis. Is there any chance that the dr can change the medication to something that would suit you better?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Searching I was diagnosed recently too and put on Lamictol. I think there are a lot of us out there. I'm evened out but need some med tweaking. I get where yoU are coming from. . Hope you keep it sober!!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Searching I have nothing useful to say but wish you the best in your recovery, keep posting.
A merry Christmas
CaiHong
Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am on Lamictol as well but not up to the required dose yet, its a slow process I know. Thanks Anna! I got back to the pysch after Christmas I will talk to him then about changing some of my meds around, cause its been really hard but worth it in the long run. Thanks for the support all!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It sounds like you have a tough row to hoe and are keeping ahead of it. I am rooting for you too and glad you are responding. It also sounds like you have a lot of company here. Hope you feel even better as it goes.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know someone exactly like you. If you are on bi-polar medicine please stay on it. The guy I know decides at times to stop taking his medicine and starts drinking and he is a mess. He gets kicked out of bars and it is bad. I am not bi-polar but see the effects. Stay on the medicine and stay away from the booze. Everyone likes him when he is on his medicine and noone likes hin when he justs hits the booze.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm on 100 mgs I think it's too low though. We shall see, it is amazing though how is helped lesson the alcohol cravings. At least it has for me. Best to ya!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

wow, did you start out at 100 mgs? I started out at 25 mgs, the 10 days later went to 50 mgs, then 75, and finally 100 I suppose to stay, but laid out over a month to get too. I hope the side effects get better instead of worse Im also on an ssri plus a benzo (that I hardly ever take)... Thanks again guys for the support, during my latest episode most of my friends said they were done with me and have pretty much kept to it even after the diagnosis. I rely on my family and therapist now, my wife is trying to understand and to her credit is still there even after 10 years of this mess. Blesses to you all...
Old 12-19-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Time and patience...get yourself evened out and keep up the fight. Peace.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thats supposed to say I will go up to 75 in 10 days then eventually 100 mgs....