Notices

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bear with me folks, just need to vent.
On day 23. Withdrawals, anxiety, depression are really sucking rightg now.
I feel like I want to go to the other side of the planet to a treatment center full of people just like me for about 6 months. God bless my family, I love them, but it is so hard to be around them right now. I have put my wife and kids thru so much and I am carrying that guilt around. I feel like I am going to do even more damage to them during the first few months of recovery while my body and brain readjust. I have no patience, and am extremely irritable. I know it will get better with time, but this still sucks. Can't wait for my meeting tonight.
thanks everyone, just needed to get that out.
God bless.:
Old 12-19-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

jocata: It's real tough. Two things might help. The first is if your family and friends can make a sincere effort to support you in this very important thing you're doing for yourself and for them. The way they can do that is to emphasize that you are trying to get yourself better from an illness and that, rather than feeling shame about it, you should be treated like any other recovering patient. This may be hard for them to do particularly if some of them take an old fashioned view of alcoholism and get something out of "blaming" you for it. But it's worth a try for them anyway. The second thing is just to get away, not to a bar but to a meeting or some place where you can associate with other recovering alcoholics. Tell your family that's where you'll be and why this makes you more comfortable.Good luck. Stick with it one way or another.

W
Old 12-19-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

omg I'm sorry, but the title of your thread made me laugh. I can just visualize that!
Take care it's all really worth it. Really!
Old 12-19-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think there are a lot of times many of us would like to just run away for a variety of reasons. It is hard to run out of the house for awhile because you know where we would want to go. I have no great advice but to hang in there. Your family needs you just like mine does. I am not a big prayer but I will say a prayer for you tonight.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was in my OP rehab, and for a few weeks thereafter, nothing made me more crazy than my well-wishing husband and the other 'normal' people in my life.

My (now ex) husband kept saying "I know what you are going through! I sometimes overeat!" And yet I did not kill him.

So there is hope!! Stay strong.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At 23 days I don't think you're still in physical withdrawal, must be psychological. Lots of changes going on now with your body and brain learning how to function normally. It's normal to feel on edge and emotional. If you start feeling worse tho I'd see a doctor for a check up.

Might be what they call PAWS: Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. Basically it's the changes the body and brain go thru after physical w/d is over. They have to readjust and that takes a toll on your nerves.

Last edited by least; 12-19-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: because I can ;-)
Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better!

Try to keep things as simple as possible, and just do what you can do. I'm glad you're working so hard on your recovery.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jocata,

My family drove me insane and I don't even live with them. Everything they did would annoy me. They would take me out to dinner and I would leave. It was awful.

My son said to me a few weeks ago that I should not be so cranky as my birthday and Christmas were coming, implying it could affect what I get for my birthday I think it was sober time adding up and not the threat of a gift being withdrawn but I am actually enjoying his company now. The more sober I get the nicer he gets.
I got an Ipad2 for my birthday.
It would be great to be able to remove oneself to a nice treatment centre for 6 months to get sober.
All I can say is hang in there, it does get better and come here and vent away to your heart's content.

Merry Christmas
CaiHong