Notices

Mixing Effexor (antidepressant) with alcohol

Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mixing Effexor (antidepressant) with alcohol

I have taken Effexor XR for about 10 years. It helped immensely with my depression. I had smoked pot before, during, and after this. I quit smoking that about 8 years ago but then took up drinking heavily. I stopped drinking for almost a year in 2008 but couldn't last.

If I don't take Effexor I will most likely become suicidal. It stabilizes my mood. It also makes me feel very "flat-lined." Alcohol makes me feel good, temporarily. I know I have a problem with alcohol and have been taking more active steps to quit.

I know the medication mixed with alcohol is not good. The alcohol alone is not good. I had read online that many people never had a problem with alcohol abuse/dependency until they began taking Effexor. I can't find out whether one causes the other. However, alcohol abuse is listed as a side effect on the medication information!!!

I realize I have a tendency to get addicted to things. Whether that's related to my depression I don't know and really don't care. All I know is that I haven't found any other medicine that treats my depression as well as this one does. I also know that I am drinking way too much and have to stop. I'm not trying to blame the medicine for my drinking....just thinking it might be working against me.

So frustrated.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Ellen,

The best thing to do is talk to your doctor about the alcohol and Effexor. No doctor can help you without knowing what you are doing. You could get help for the alcohol at the same time as alleviating your fears about the combination.

Alcohol affects the dopamine receptors, and so does Effexor. It only makes sense that one is going to affect the other.

You are here asking this question, but I think you know what to do.

FT
Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The problem is more complicated. My daughter's father has fought hard to get custody of her (he is a big weed smoker himself.) Anyway, during one court case he had my psychiatrist's records subpoenaed. It was brought out about my medication treatment, which he tried to use against me. Of course there was no documentation of his substance abuse. Anyway, the judge still awarded me sole custody.

I had to get a restraining order against my daughter's dad with his abuse, so I am afraid of him. Not too afraid to fight like all I have for my daughter. At any rate, the point is...I'm terrified for anything to go in my medical records about my drinking for fear that it will become known in court at some point and I might lose my daughter. That is my worst fear. So, I feel very afraid of confiding my problem to my doctor.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Ellen,

I do understand the dilemma. Sometimes you can find a different doctor who will remain confidential for you, one who hasn't been involved in any reporting situations.

I really think you need face to face doctor discussion. And probably a medication tapering schedule, maybe a different med for you. I don't know. The trouble is, you don't either.

Doing this alone is not a good idea. You can read more about Effexor on different website, but here is one that is NOT a pharmaceutical site, so understand that when you read it. It is good for anecdotal information: Crazy Meds: The Good, The Bad, & The Funny of: - Meds - Effexor

Please be careful. Something needs to change for better stuff to happen for you.

FT
Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Yes, quite a dilemma but I have to agree with failedtaper.

You should talk with a doctor that you trust. They can't treat you correctly if you withhold information from them.

If the Effexor is causing you to abuse alcohol what sort of problems may that cause in taking care of your daughter?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, very good points ft and PD. That is what I think about quite often---how my drinking affects how I care for my daughter. I want to do the right thing and stop drinking and get straightened out somehow. I will look into getting a different psychiatrist. Still worried. You never know how these things can come back later. But the point is I need to get better or I really don't do right for my daughter. Thanks so much for your responses.