Notices

Slipped, but told wife, New Days Ahead

Old 12-18-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slipped, but told wife, New Days Ahead

Well, I drank the Sam Adams last night. Started with one, ended with three, and i wasn't "drunk" but it's like Lay's Potato chips, you can't drink just one. So I told my wife this morning that I needed her help, that I need to quit drinking any alcohol, etc., etc., and we are going to have a dumping event today (including the remaining 3 beers), and the bottles that are unopened we're giving for Christmas gifts!

While I did slip up last night, I now have a much better chance. Thanks for being here for me guys.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why not share the solution you've found with some of the people who are struggling to stop? Help them out a bit with what worked for you.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I didn't solve anything really, just told her about it. She said when we were at parties, she would make sure she fixes me the drinks such as water, juice or coffee, and I will tell her when I am having trouble by saying, "I'm having trouble." This is all new, so as it goes along, I will certainly share with everyone here.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well sadly I sorta saw this coming. When you said your wife brought home those beers, all I could think was.. Oh sh*t! I just know from my personal recovery I most likely would have slipped too. Your wife at the time had no clue. That right there gave you leeway to fall victim to that voice in the back of your head. But no one ever said we have to get it right the first time.

Speaking from personal experience some may say I got sober and stayed sober my first go around. When I first got sober 8 months ago, I was done! There was no slip ups. But that's because April 25th was the day I truly was ready to get sober. If you put in to account all the times I wanted to get sober, but didn't tell anyone, we would have the true story. I can't count the times I lied ( double meaning word ) in bed with a nasty hangover telling myself I cant do this anymore. That I was killing myself. That I needed to stop, and now! That would work for maybe...MAYBE a day or two. Then something would happen in day to day life like it always did, and it would trigger me to drink again. And why not? I never told anyone I wanted to stop. No one knew the fragile promise I made to myself. So I'd say screw it, go drink, and tell myself I'd quit some other time. It's rather funny how we can lie to ourselves so much, and actually believe it. But I did that for years, and years until the day I truly was done. I realized alcohol was winning the battle for my life, and I wanted to live again!

But Im real glad you told your wife. As you already see, she is totally supportive, and that's fantastic. You now have those eyes on you that I was talking about before. They should serve as a very valuable tool for you. But never rely just on those eyes alone to keep you sober. Its going to take a lot of foot work from you as well

BUT ITS SOOOO WORTH IT MY FRIEND!

Stay strong!

-Ryan
Old 12-18-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day...one.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks. Today is a good day, decorating the tree with the kids last night was a blast, and we continue this morning. Wholesome family time is a great gift. Thanks, everyone for your support.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats Dave! Things will get better once you remove all alcohol from your house. I found that I didn't have problems controlling urges when I was out on the town (2 beers max? over 5 hours?) but when I was home, in the safety of the wall around me that we own, I would feel it was ok to 'go all the way'.. Dumping Day sounds like it will be a great first step!