Notices

Introducing Me

Old 12-18-2011, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introducing Me

Hi All

Firstly I am new to the forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I have to admit I am not sure if I am an alcoholic but I am seeking some help/advice/support with my drinking as I cannot just have one.

I don't crave alcohol but and I do not drink often but when I do go out I always drink and its always a case of one too many. This has led to things happening that would not usually occur if I was sober. these "things" are infrequent but are still concerning.

I have now decided to completely stop drinking completely and have joined this forum for guidance, support and to document my journey so I stay on track

Day 1 starts today
Old 12-18-2011, 02:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You'll find a lot of support and useful information here.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you.....Sometimes those "things" get out of control.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You sound exactly like me! I came here saying exactly the same thing and I'm now on day 46 The hardest thing I've found is resisting peer pressure because everyone thinks you're just the life and soul of the party, that you don't have a problem. I know though that personally, I do and it's only going to be downhill if I don't address it so I am and now so are you....good for you Everyone here is really nice and you'll get lots of support
Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi boblardo

sometimes I think it's useful to forget about the labels for a bit and focus on the things we're sure of - is your drinking causing you problems? and if so...what are you going to do about it?

welcome to SR - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 12-18-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You Hit The Nail On the Head Dee!

Although i'm an alcoholic, i'm pretty sure i can convince almost anybody that i'm not. But that is misdirection - i'm focusing on the AA questionnaire (i get two points legitimately, 4 if i give you a few give me's); or i focus on the countless other people in my circle that clearly drink as much if not more than i do, and declare their victories to be my own. But truth be told - those aren't' the right benchmarks or questions. The real point - does liquor cause me problems...the answer is yes and more frequently than it used to. What i know now, is i have to stop for me.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Boblardo, and Welcome!

Dee is right. The label is not the significant factor.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Hey boblardo!

Just wanted to say hi and welcome!

Stu.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome.
If you are concerned and think there may be a problem then chances are you're right. Only you know. And it's not what or how much we drink it's the effects of how we drink that are the problem. Wishing you peace and strength in your journey.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies and the very warm welcomes

I know this won't be an easy journey but it is one I am determined to take. My issue is a simple one whenever I go out and drink, it is ALWAYS one too many. Sometimes this leads me to do things I would never do sober.

The only way forward is to take control and NOT drink again.

Today was easy, it was a day of regret and feeling remorseful wondering "what I did" at the party. But today is also day 1 of my very long journey, with the support so far I am confident I can take it on

Thanks again
Old 12-18-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome boblardo!

Glad you've joined us! I was never able to have "just a drink or two" either, though I tried for years, thinking that the next time would be different and I'd drink responsibly.

Good for you for seeing this now. I'm so glad today that I stopped drinking before I had any serious consequences. It feels good just trying to be the best I can be.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yup you are in the right place and welcome! So much smart advice here.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok, I am not sure what to do now.

I thought i could do this by myself but I am finding it difficult to manage. For the most part i have been free of alcohol. Even over Xmas I was happy to abstain from alcohol

Then Blip 1, a quiet beer turned into an all day session. That was just after xmas around the 27th Dec.

I gave myself a talking too and have been free of alcohol until 14th Jan. Where, again, a quiet beer turned into an all night session

I really want to live an alcohol free life, its the only way as its clear I cannot just have one

Today is Day 1 again. Help, advice, support needed to do this

thanks in advance
Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Drink tea

Hi Bob
I found reading got me through the evenings, any trashy who-dunnit worked as long as it kept my mind off the drink. A glass of fizzy water on hand would take care of the unconscious habit of picking up my gin and tonic every few minutes.

After a few days the urge would be strong to just have a small one, asking myself what I'd do once I'd finished the small one (obvious answer!) kept me from giving in. That urge has not gone away, but it happens less frequently.
I'm now on day 87 and the problem for me is coping with a sort of grief, the loss of a good friend.

You just have to try again, It really does work.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It really is a yes/no question. Either you can keep yourself sober the rest of your life or find yourself unable to even complete a handful of years or even less without getting drunk again.

You need effective help to remain sober or you don't. Logging in here and deciding not to drink apparently isn't effective enough for you. Are you considering doing anything to aid you in your plan to not drink?
Old 01-21-2012, 03:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
instant

We all have to learn our own lessons. Learning what we need to do to live a quality life can take time. At this point I recommend the Big Book (free on line).